Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Met a new boolit caster today. Oh boy the young generation is in trouble.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I have had my share of older people act this way as well. Most of the time its money that makes them act this way. I charge more for attitude when giving them a quote.

In a speedy rush Dewan showed up mold in hand. The mold he had bought at the other shop was mine from many years ago. Or I think it was anyway. It had cast me many 357 bullets and I moved from a lee to a lyman so I sold it to a guy to help get him into casting. Two boxes of perfecta and we had a deal. (18 bucks worth) No lead bars. He cant remember what he did with them and as soon as I could hand him the ammo poof he was off. Never made it past the front door. I was told over a drink last night by the local sand pit owner somebody was doing some fast shooting over his pit. Should be 100 or so rounds from the sound of things. Now you know I have to stop in and take a look see if perfecta brass is sprayed all over the ground.

As far as my friend who owns the shop I am sure he will not be sending just anyone my way any time soon. Ill even go as far to say coffee is on him at the next gun show.

Well... "you can lead a horse to water...." and all that.... Some people are just... well we all know. Maybe he at least got a little bug in his ear, that hes not going to do more reloading before he learns some stuff... If not for him, for a wife, and kid that doesn't want their dad blown up. All you can do is try, and you went over and above.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 03-21-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately all you have to do to see an awful lot of the "instant gratification" types is look in on a few reloading/casting forums. many won't/can't use a "search" function, or are in too much of a hurry to "google" anything. I've seen posts asking a question that was thoroughly covered just three threads below the question...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Yep, have came to understand how short life really is and seems to be accelerating daily. I choose to spend mine with those that I love and care for and the ones that show true interest. I would not waste another second on him and he would need to come to me in a new light, call me what you may!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Yep, call me what you may!
    "Experienced Optimist?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

Even Babe Ruth didn't bat 1,000, OR. You did your due diligence, and that's all you control. It's a shame when these things happen, but not one of us here can prevent them. Ya' done good. That's what counts.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    Sounds like a lot of folks I know, if it takes more than 15 minutes to master, they don't have time for it. He's never cracked the cover on a reloading manual. I hope doesn't get hurt or hurt someone else.
    I concur, the guy doesnt seem to understand the end game or the steps required to accomplish it. He needs to read a reloading manual. I dont think Id be willing to work with him until he did.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by PS Paul View Post
    Some just simply are not cut out for the intricacies casting/reloading present. In other words, the young man just doesn't have the personality traits required to do this safely, correctly or reasonably. It ain't for him.
    I would first start out with "Look. If you want my help, then we are going to have some ground rules." And go from there.

Have you seen the movie Prince of Tides? This is back in the late 80s, but Nick Nolte as football coach Tom Wingo takes on personally training the son of his sister's psychotherapist. The kid is spoiled rotten, snotty, mouthy, arrogant... very much like his father who is a symphony orchestra violinist and tries to humiliate the coach in front of a bunch of his equally snooty friends.

Bottom line, is Tom walks away from the kid and says no way. Later the mother brings him back and he apologizes and says he really does want to learn how to play football. So Tom lays down the rule "Keep your mouth shut, because it pisses me off. You do exactly as I say or we are done", and so on.

That's how I'd handle this.

I agree with .455 Webley:
    Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    Thank you for even trying to help this young man. If someone doesn't show him how to do this right he may get himself hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    At least this kid at 22 was trying to cast some boolits. He had the patience to find some lead, molds, equipment, but did it wrong.

It seems to me that the OP got his back up at his PERCEPTION of the kid's attitude and things went downhill from there. But. Maybe the kid sensed hostility and just wanted to get out? Maybe he got a text from his wife that the baby was sick or something? I was recently going to meet up with a guy for a gun repair, and he's known as your typical "get off my lawn, know-it-all-old-man" kind of guys. While in the guy's driveway, I got a message from my wife that my kid was barfing all over the living room and wanted me to get home. So I went into the guy's place, and I was in a hurry to pay for my work done and bug out. I could tell he was annoyed that I just wanted to leave, so maybe he's thinking, "oh, these young guys are all in a hurry, got no patience, blah, blah." So the next time I saw him, I could tell he had his back up already from my last visit, all because I was distracted from an upset wife and didn't have time to talk about gun stuff from the last time.

All this to say there's two sides to any story and nobody should be quick to judge. Especially since nobody was there but the OP and a young man who's decided to serve your country as part of its military community, and at a time when many others are just drinking beer, managed to try his hand casting some boolits.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the kinds words guys.

Wardo1974. Your words are it seems to me.... Well It seems to me you only read the first post and then started typing. We have no cell service for many miles around. I see you can type well so you should also be well spoken. With this said, why did you not take 15 seconds to tell the man who was helping you something like this. Sorry, my wife just text me and we have a sick child. How much do I owe and thank you very much I have to go. The man now would understand your dismay and would be thankful of your common courtesy. Heck I do not think I could get my wallet out and open in the time that would take to say.
    Dewan does not want to cast boolits. He just wants to shoot and shoot he did. He even left the boxes on the ground at the sandpit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01467.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	164025 Just ask me how I know. I should of taken a pic of the bud light beer cans all shot up. Brass and boxes found ten feet from the no trespassing sign. Cans another 20 feet away or so. This pit does not allow shooting as it is an active mining area for the county.

Where you not in a rush to start typing and skip reading all the details on this thread I think you might have responded a bit different. Now you are not all wrong stuff does happen and this is only one side of the story.

This was never meant to get anyone heated just sharing a story. Its done and hopefully over.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-20-2016 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Old pharts do not type well.

Boolit Buddy
    Rondacker: Sorry if I came off heated, I'm not. All I meant was that there can often be two sides to a story. Your photos and more background context of shooting disrespect do make things more clear about what this fellow was like, though.

Of course I told my "local old man" (just a joke there, I'm no kid myself) my reasons for leaving, but...for some guys, it's not enough, you know? Certain guys, they've just made up their minds to be crotchety about things. Not saying you are.

I accept your version of events as the truth. It's always disappointing when you want to share your hard-won knowledge with a person and they don't give a hoot about anything but the end result.

Boolit Man

He just wants to shoot and shoot he did. He even left the boxes on the ground at the sandpit. Just ask me how I know. I should of taken a pic of the bud light beer cans all shot up. Brass and boxes found ten feet from the no trespassing sign. Cans another 20 feet away or so. This pit does not allow shooting as it is an active mining area for the county.

Its done and hopefully over.
    Outer Rondacker, sorry you had this happen. I think I can sense that you really wanted to help this kid, and the little snot has no respect.

Hopefully the military will teach him some respect.

Then again, the military ain't what it used to be either. The Navy ain't the same Navy I retired from 16 years ago, and I see things we would never have considered possible in my day. I saw a sign the other day telling people what to do about male on male sexual assault. Who didn't see that coming?

Some signs from my day:
    In the missile compartment head on a submarine: "We aim to please. You aim too, please".
    Above a coffee mess "Your mother doesn't work here. Clean up after yourself".

And we would self-police, calling out someone who made a mess and walked away, expecting someone else to clean it up.

Somebody needs to call this kid out and tell him never to leave a mess like that again, ANYWHERE. It's things like that which give the anti's excuse to shut down anyplace that's left to go shooting.

There is a gravel pit a good 100 miles from where I live where we go shooting on occasion. I always pick up all the trash I can while we are there, all the brass, steel and aluminum cases, and shotshell hulls. We're started digging the hills for scrap lead as well. And I tell the whole family, "See those road signs that somebody shot full of holes? It's things like that which will cause the anti-gun people to shut this place down so that we can't use it anymore. Don't ever do stuff like that. Always leave this place better than you found it".

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the guy will learn some discipline and presence of mind from boot camp?

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Maybe the guy will learn some discipline and presence of mind from boot camp?
    From AIR FORCE boot camp? ; ) (No offense to any airmen present, but especially any PJs. PJs are just pure ******!)

Boolit Master
    Boot camp does not fix all things, may have at one time. I knew plenty of people in the marines back in the late 80s that still thought they were back on the block hanging out with their buds. It swung both ways, white and black, tho less of an issue with whites. Some you wondered why they were even there. And it is the air force not to say AF sucks, just that there really isnt much to boot camp. I was stationed in San Antonio for a while and we could pick up AF recruits at the club on base, I only remember one day off on Parris Island and it was a few days before we left.

And unfortunately the younger generation has very little interest in learning anything. They want it now, any more effort than that and they will move onto other things. To them text is the best thing thats ever happened, when in reality its the worst form of communication on earth. Yea it has its uses, send a pic to someone, or a few back and forth to ask a question, or directions. But way to many have shifted into that is their main form of interacting with the people. They have that phone glued to their hand, and get upset when you do not answer in a timely manner, which to them is instantly. And auto spell has screwed over plenty of people.

But as pointed out there are 2 sides to every story. I am in the middle at 45, not the older generation, not the younger one. And I do meet way to many 'get off my yard you kids, I know everything' people. They hang out in gun shops and will argue with you all day that there is in fact only one way to skin a cat, their way of course. Anything else, well is just wrong, and should be against the law. They hang out in the gym I go to, Im usually the youngest, doing weird stuff on the equipment. If you say something like 'thats not the way to do it' they look at you with the 'how could you possibly know anything' glare. So I just mind my own business and let them hurt themselves, dang does that sound familiar.

Wardo1974. Your words are it seems to me.... Well It seems to me you only read the first post and then started typing. We have no cell service for many miles around. I see you can type well so you should also be well spoken. With this said, why did you not take 15 seconds to tell the man who was helping you something like this. Sorry, my wife just text me and we have a sick child. How much do I owe and thank you very much I have to go. The man now would understand your dismay and would be thankful of your common courtesy. Heck I do not think I could get my wallet out and open in the time that would take to say.
    Dewan does not want to cast boolits. He just wants to shoot and shoot he did. He even left the boxes on the ground at the sandpit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01467.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	164025 Just ask me how I know. I should of taken a pic of the bud light beer cans all shot up. Brass and boxes found ten feet from the no trespassing sign. Cans another 20 feet away or so. This pit does not allow shooting as it is an active mining area for the county.

Where you not in a rush to start typing and skip reading all the details on this thread I think you might have responded a bit different. Now you are not all wrong stuff does happen and this is only one side of the story.

This was never meant to get anyone heated just sharing a story. Its done and hopefully over.
    Well, you got some brass back, and your two cases. That may be all you can expect from a situation like this. I think it's great that all of the responders to this post have taken the time to put in their two cents, on both sides. It says that even if we don't necessarily agree with each other, we are passionate about our sport, and are genuinely concerned about bringing up another generation to carry it on. If you ask me (which, of course, no one did ), that in itself is pretty good stuff.
    I say we try it... What's the worst that could happen?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinwriter View Post
    From AIR FORCE boot camp?
    that's what I was thinking, but I stiffled myself (at least for a while).
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I was taught at an early age to respect guns, respect the land where we hunt, fish and shoot. As someone stated above, "leave it better than it was before you got there." My dad always went by that rule! I am 26 now and speak for the younger generation. We all are not lost hopes..... I wish i had someone close to me to teach me the ropes. I am learning casting alone, Its surely is a learning curve. I still have a lot to learn, but with my willingness to learn, will go above and beyond!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinwriter View Post
    From AIR FORCE boot camp? ; ) (No offense to any airmen present, but especially any PJs. PJs are just pure ******!)

AHEM!!!
    they install that during the water training portion of PJ school.
    i'm not sure if it's when your running into the water or out.
    but it seems to happen about that time and you can see right there who has it [who you'd wanna work with] and who doesn't.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting thread. I do enjoy reading everyones viewpoints on the original thread topic.

I was fortunate enough to find me a patient, kind and thoughtful mentor after my father passed in which to learn the craft. I had a much more attentive nature than the young gentleman here showed on his initial visit, however. I'm still earning from him and need to pay him a visit soon.

He is a member here, 45cal. A public thank you to him.

Maybe you can get a good deal on a Glock.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast