Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Met a new boolit caster today. Oh boy the young generation is in trouble.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
    I'm of the newer generation here (31) & I honestly feel most people my age & younger are pretty much a lost cause. They want $15 an hour to flip burgers & wouldn't know an oil dipstick if you swatted 'em with it!

I was raised pretty 'old school' I suppose. I didn't realize it until after I flew the coop however. Its shocking to me, to hear people my age have never cut wood with an axe, rebuilt an engine, hunted to feed yourself, etc.

My heart honestly aches, as to me, I see our finest generation going away & all the incredible information going with you guys.

I've pretty much made it my new life goal to absorb as much knowledge from my grandfathers as I possibly can so that one day, God willin' I meet a good woman I can pass old world knowledge & manners along to my boy.

I sure am not without fault. Patience is something I have always had serious troubles with. I'm also a bit of a loose cannon with a problem with authority. Past few years I have really tried to tone it down some, with at least some measurable success.

If you're an older gent who knows a young person that shows an incling to old world values, please be patient with our knuckleheadedness & show us how this once fine nation used to be. Thank you.

-Raymond
    Im older then you by 20 years...but still younger then most on here it seems.... I also try to learn all I can, about as much as I can. The more I can do the better off I am. If not by doing myself.... at least being more informed when I have to farm something out. I missed out asking the older gen much. Step father was a "just shut up and watch.." kinda guy... I learned a lot... but wish I learned more. I got a lot from my Dad. he was a avid shooter, caster, and loader. I did not get to spend as much time with him as I hoped, and then lost him a handfull of years ago. His help does live on, as I go through all his loading/casting stuff, and try to backwards engineer how, and why he did things..

I'm another one of the new generation (27 here), and it truly is disheartening when I look at so many people my age. I've spent a lot of time lurking on here and learning what it takes to correctly and safely cast and load my own. Heck, I think I spent 6 months reading and rereading loading manuals (Lee's second edition) before I put together the press. No one around me (that I knew of at the time) to instruct me. But I knew that this was one thing I did NOT want to rush into.

Of course, I still find myself at times wanting to succumb to the instant gratification that is so prevalent in my generation. However if there is one thing I learned from my father (and it has been reinforced here), it was to take it slow and do it right the first time. Thanks to all on here who have helped contribute to my continuing education in the art of casting and loading!

Boolit Master
    I do feel a Generalization was not the perfect way to address the age group. For those of you who stand out from the crowd you are welcome at my table any time. I get all warm and fuzzy inside knowing some will carry on the ways of the past.

I have keep an eye on this thread but stopped posting as to let it die down now that time has passed. I felt I had to say I think if you took the time to post in this thread for better or worse you are on a decent path. I do not have many more years on some of you. But act as if....

Boolit Master
    I am only a whip snap at 61 years. When I was 21 what I did not know would fill a rail car, and what I thought I knew would fill another. I know a whole lot about a few things now and hardly anything about some others. I still learn things as I go along and maybe I am not a lost cause after all.

prs

I have people approach me all the time with the first thing they say is "you know what" and these day I find myself responding, "I know a lot of things but I don't know what".

I have worked in many different fields over the course of this life, have met people of all walks of life and cultures. Have learned for all of them. I have worked with and for people much younger than myself and have done well with them.

Having been working in the food industry as a production maintenance person I have seen many large changes in the way production is now being done with automation. Will say there is where I see the young people excelling. They have the education and understanding that I will never get to with this new technology. They have passed me by! I haven't given up on them yet.

Boolit Master
    dear Lord... even my feeble attempts at casting a slug in homemade gypsum mold for my 32ga were better... Looks like the Brave New World mantra is working well...

like most said, many of the new gen don't want the "work" of making stuff, make it last etc. There's no frugality and ingenuity in their auto-correction keyboards...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    OR, I think you have a point. Found these 45ACP at the range yesterday among the brass. No primer strikes visible. The bullets were so loose in the case, they could be squeezed with light finger pressure. It's as if the cases were never sized. Someone needs to slow down and read a reloading book or get some instruction. I broke them down for components. There was an average 6gr charge of Blue Dot in the case. Just shaking my head.

Attachment 164349
    I find lots of .380 in the same manner... I usually pull the bullets and get the powder too.

It's nothing to do with age. I find that most people of any age to be rude and selfish. We live in a "Me" time, where all that matters is "Me".
    How do I know? I've been a full time guide for over twenty years and met lots of people, few are polite and listen with their ears. Sign of the times I'm afraid.

Interests include Fly Fishing, Archery, Shooting and many more. British Military Veteran.

29 here, and like someone earlier said we are not all like that. I am the polar opposite of someone seeking instant gratification, or buy a new one instead of fix the old one. If anything I over research.
    Additionally I'm a 1st generation small farmer venturing into my first large producton year( on top of my normal job).

But in general our generation has a love affair with new shiny things, glowing screens, and not getting hands dirty.
    Last edited by paraord; 04-23-2016 at 06:17 AM.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    I think I would have texted him "Come back when you have time to learn".
    yea so would i!

I just believe that the idea of craftsmanship has been lost. In general, No one wants to take the time to build fine works of art and then take pride in that work. We've become a throw-away society.

Boolit Master

An interesting thread. Sad and sweet and we knew it complete.

I'm in my mid 40's. I believe I was a young and polite person. People told me so or rather told my parents so. I went to the fish and game club and learned how to shoot skeet from the supporting old guys. They were all mostly helpful. Probably why I still like the game clubs and why I don't mind helping a new kid.

A good chunk of my friends are much older. Like 20 years older. I enjoy their company and the discussions on reloading, life, guns, girls, etc. I have a bunch of nephews and husbands of nieces. Some I would gladly hang out with and share what I know with, others who just want stuff done for them, and a couple I wouldn't trust leaving my wallet on the table with my back turned.

Some things are no different through the ages. There are some of those people in every generation. Some that won't listen and have to learn it on their own, some kids that didn't learn things on their own because they were reckless and broke their neck on a motorcycle or in a car wreck. Some of the mechanisms are different but people are still people.

As for hugs, I still want to hug my mom and dad. They're divorced and both have been remarried and each widowed. My dad only a months ago. He's lonely and frankly a touch scared living alone in another part of the country at 77. I wish he lived closer. I only have a few years left with them, I'll give them all the hugs I can. No shame here.

ETA- Sad that old Dewan didn't have enough time to even let a small pot of lead melt. Sounds like Dewan isn't a caster, he made a bad or wrong decision at the gun shop in an attempt to shoot cheap. Maybe he'll attempt it again when he slows down.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by varmint243 View Post
    Another old timers hating on the younger generation thread
    Seems to happen about every six months or so on here
    Me thinks the old timers have selective memory loss of what a PITA they were to the old timers when they were 20 somethings
    It's a good thing old timers back then were more patient and understanding than the old timers today
    I remember growing up listening to all the adults complaining how horrible it was going to be when the pot smoking, acid dropping hippies were going to be in charge of the world.
    Now that time is here, and they aren't any different than the generation that they replaced.

A child arrived just the other day
    He came to the world in the usual way
    But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
    He learned to walk while I was away
    And he was talking before I knew it and as he grew
    He said, "Im gonna be like you, Dad
    You know Im gonna be like you"
    And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
    Little boy blue and the man in the moon
    When you comin' home, Dad, I dont know when
    But we'll get together then
    You know we'll have a good time then
    My son turned ten just the other day
    He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
    Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today
    I got a lot to do", he said, "That's okay"
    And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
    And said, "Im gonna be like him, yeah
    You know Im going to be like him"
    When you comin' home, Dad, I don't know when
    But we'll get together then
    Well, he came from college just the other day
    So much like a man I just had to say
    "Son, Im proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
    He shook his head and he said with a smile
    "What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
    See you later, can I have them please?"
    When you comin' home, son, I don't know when
    But we'll get together then, Dad
    Ive long since retired, my son's moved away
    I called him up just the other day
    I said, "I'd like to see you if you dont mind"
    He said, "I'd love to Dad, if I could find the time"
    "You see my new job's a hassle and the kids have the flu
    But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
    It's been sure nice talking to you"
    And as I hung up the phone it had occurred to me
    He'd grown up just like me
    My boy was just like me
    When you comin' home, son, I don't know when
    But we'll get together then, Dad
    We're gonna have a good time then
    Song blew then and still does IMHO

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Song blew then and still does IMHO
    I disagree. The song emphasizes priorities and what we as children learn from our folks. (Good or bad).

Boolit Master
    I got into casting after they banned .45s over here in .au. I had about 3,000 .45 185 SWC projectiles that i couldn't use any more, so what to do? melt them down, and cast into 9mm projectiles of course... Since then, it was a slippery slope. I haven't bought projectiles from a store since.

I'm 37 now, i haven't been casting that long, maybe 10 years?

Fellow shooters my age can't be bothered doing it, they just buy 'em, load 'em and shoot 'em. Some even have the cash to buy factory ammo, they shoot and leave the brass where it falls. Isn't it nice to have money?

Boolit Master
    Some people are immune to instruction - you just have to let them go by. A new reloader was having dud rounds at the range about half the time, he primed with the bench press. I told him he was getting oil or grease on the primers as he put them into the primer arm. According to him, I couldn't possibly be right. I got angry and told him I had been reloading since I was 15, at that point about 45 years prior. How did I know things like that? Experience. He started a week ago. He stayed away from me from then on, and later died about 14 years ago. Still immune to instruction. I resolved later to let things and people like that go by, save myself the aggravation.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Quote Originally Posted by 26Charlie View Post
    Some people are immune to instruction - you just have to let them go by. A new reloader was having dud rounds at the range about half the time, he primed with the bench press. I told him he was getting oil or grease on the primers as he put them into the primer arm. According to him, I couldn't possibly be right. I got angry and told him I had been reloading since I was 15, at that point about 45 years prior. How did I know things like that? Experience. He started a week ago. He stayed away from me from then on, and later died about 14 years ago. Still immune to instruction. I resolved later to let things and people like that go by, save myself the aggravation.
    ^…+1...Immune to anything that threatens their 'fragile reality'.

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I call it internet syndrome. I see there is a long line of folks that already replied, but it seems that the internet and cell phones has made the younger generation rather impatient. EVERYTHING is about gotta have it yesterday. The internet is nice, but folks need to not let it rule their life. Your story would have been funnier if you told him the cure was to buy a Dillon 650XL because those fix everything... I know, I am pure evil at times.

And I feel that this thread is NOT about old timers hating on youngins. It is about the pure stupidity of not wanting to be bothered but wanting the answer on demand so that whenever someone has a moment of time-out of their busy social media-governed lol-chat life they can remember there is something waiting for them that will fill that brief moment in time when they get to stop and wonder what else there is to do.

I like to help people too, but if they take it for granted then they are on their own.
    Last edited by Stilly; 05-09-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I don't think it's a generation thing. Certainly younger people tend to be less patient, but not all of us. I'm 30.

This is the internet age but thats a good thing. If this guy knew where to look he would've figured out what he did wrong without having to leave his house. Maybe he's just not cut out for this hobby. There's lots of people like that, of all ages.

Boolit Bub
    I'm not being condescending, and I don't necessarily think it's an age thing.

However, I find that there are "trinity" people, i.e. "I, me and my", and those of us like ......

I'll let you decide, after all, it's a value judgement.

Cheers Mark.