Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotch Brite vs chore boy

Scotch Brite vs chore boy

Forgive me if this isn't the right place for this question.
    I couldn't find chore boy so I picked up some Scotch Brite copper coated scrubbers to use to get the lead out of my barrel. Before I use any I wanted to get approval from those that know more than me, thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    double check the packaging you want "pure copper" not "copper coated". Pure copper is barrel safe. I couldn't find any at my local stores either but the gas station had them for some reason.

Yes pure copper is better.

but you can use copper coated as it really really soft pot steel but try some on the out side of your barrel and see if it scratches it. if it dose.... don't use it.

its getting harder to find the pure copper chore boy.

Boolit Master
    You can bring a magnet if you aren't sure.

Is there any reason you can't just tear apart some old broken electronic device and use its wiring? Seems like it would be even easier to wrap that around a brush.

Boolit Master

I find chore boy at seedy gas stations all over the place. Apparently a drug application. Look for a good sized gas station/convenience store in a small town and check the cleaning supplies.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Vendor Sponsor

I found some Chore Boy clone at Dollar General or Dollar Tree, you have to look at the fine print and make sure it does NOT say copper coated or copper plated. Some hardware stores have bronze wool that can be used as well. I suppose a magnet will tell you if the core is steel when you are looking at a scrubber pad and can't figure out if it is solid copper or copper plated.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Thanks guys. I found some (chore boy) on amazon for 6 or 7 dollars, too much or about right on price?

Vendor Sponsor

Ebay has it for $2 and $3 but then 1st class shipping is another $3 or $4 so you did okay if that is with shipping.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Found some Chore Boy pads today at Ace Hardware, pure copper says the label. I think they were $2.49 for two pads.
    I bought 2 packs, a lifetime supply.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Also useful for packing lightly into air intakes for refrigerators, freezers, etc. to keep mice from getting in and eating the wiring (suggested by a local appliance repairman who came and fixed ours. You can also buy it in bulk from Amazon.
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Thanks guys. I did find a temporary solution though, I used a brush for a 12 gauge shotgun and it done great. Anyone else done this before?

Boolit Master

Most grades of ScotchBrite have abrasive embedded in them. I'm not familiar with the copper coated variety but have used the red, green and gray for years and would not put any of them in a barrel.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I have found that this stuff is fantastic! Proprietary alloy, sharp edges, strips lead from barrel quickly, but is safe on bluing. I always have a chunk in my cleaning box.

http://www.big45.com/
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware carry the pure copper in my part of the world.

Boolit Buddy
    Walgreens does, too (at least they did a few years back).

I think most of us have an ACE within range. Very nice to know we can get them there. Thanks for the info

I had a very leaded model 60 Marlin. I tried these, none worked. They shot it u till it would not fire any ore, and stuffed it in a safe for 35 years.

Bought a bottle of Shooter's Choice lead remover. I plugged the muzzle, poured it in. Left it in for an hours. Pulled the plug, wire brushed it, and not a speck of 30 year old lead fouling remained.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Most grades of ScotchBrite have abrasive embedded in them. I'm not familiar with the copper coated variety but have used the red, green and gray for years and would not put any of them in a barrel.

David
    Your talking about the 3M Scotch Brite ABRASIVE pads, I've used them in the bodyshop for years and work great for roughing up paint BUT would NEVER use them on a gun either! The red pad is equivalent to 320-400 grit sandpaper and the black is much coarser! If your polishing out grinder marks on steel these will work. The chore boy in this thread is all copper or copper coated pot scrubber pad, think of it as a non rusting steel wool pad.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Your talking about the 3M Scotch Brite ABRASIVE pads, . . . The chore boy in this thread is all copper or copper coated pot scrubber pad, think of it as a non rusting steel wool pad.
    Yes, I'm very familiar with Chore Boy but the OP mentioned "Scotch Brite copper coated scrubbers" by name. That's why I responded as I did. A quick search made it apparent that they are copper coated steel and warned about scratching and rusting. No telling what all is in them.

Off topic, the red Scotch-Brite is excellent for restoring the texture on the flats of stainless steel 1911 slides and frames and some SS watch bands.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I have also found bronze wool in the cleaning section and at the hardware store. Works good on the Cast Iron, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!