MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New Hornady Iron Press

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    V Howard, I think we are sayin the same thing!

Weaponologist, I put a "wanted press" in my signiture space and was contacted by a member here with one to sale!

Sort of like being at the Prom....sometimes all you got to do is ask!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub
    Originally Posted by jmort
    "Maybe this will be like the last time and I'll let the wife decide. Last time she choose the Ponsness Warren Met2."

That was a great choice. Might be good idea to let her have at it again. I doubt you will regret getting the T7 and the Hornady looks like a winner as well.

Hi,
    What if she whispered, "CH4D CHAMPION!!!" "CAST STEEL!" Attached Thumbnails

I showed her this. She likes the Champion. LOL. Then said I would have to wait till June. She was tool and die maker at Ford. She wont let me buy tools by price.

Banned

Score for Seagiant. Another cast steel press in the forum family. He brainwashed me into getting my first cast steel press.

Boolit Master
    I really like mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	164516

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Jmort, I didn't know that....thanks for the nod!

Beebee, be advised....

CH4D has a newer Champion since my model.

R1kk1 has the "new" model and I have the older.

The new does not have the primer arm slot cut (stronger?)

I only use mine to reload (no swaging) so mine is PLENTY strong for me!

My love of these big presses is the smoothness and "feel" while using them!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Seagiant, Thanks for the suggestion ... How's this look??
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponologist View Post
    Seagiant, Thanks for the suggestion ... How's this look??
    Hi,
    Yea! Thats what you want!

Now every post you have on this forum (old and new)

Will have that want ad on it!

Word gets around and it only takes one!

I also have E-bay auto informed function for certain presses there!

I deprimed 200+ cases today and 10 spent primers did not make it into the catch cup. About the same as the Lee Classic Cast single stage where the spent primers go down the hollow ram into a tube. The Lee Challenger breechlock single stage I had would have been 50% went into the catch tube and the other 50% on the floor no matter if I had the primer arm in place or not.

I hope to get my new Iron press next week....Thanks to Dan at Inline Fabrications. Dan has contacts for all the model Presses so he can get you what ever you need. He's also taken care of the Bushing issue I asked about. This isn't the first time Inline Fabrication has come through for me. Keep that in mine, any of you that don't have access to a full machine shop or have a disability that would keep you from finishing a job even if you had the correct tools. Dan will do his best to get what you need and do it at a reasonable price. I feel very fortunate to have found someone like Dan and other's like him here on Cast Boolits...A BIG Thank you to him and everyone who offered their help on this thread.....

On the first page there as a bunch of concern about converting the LNL bushing to a conventional 7/8-14 threaded bushing?

Why not just put a LNL bushing in the press and leave it there and thread your dies in and out of that?

Or did I miss something?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I am a Hornady bullet fan. Other than cast 99% of my load's have Hornady bullet's. But I don't own any Hornady reloading tools at all! I'm wondering, if you don't care for that bushing, why are you getting the press? I really don't believe for handloading there's not a much better press by anyone!

Some are under the impression that the bushings can not with stand the pressures required for larger cases. That is wrong. These will handle resizing and even reforming cases to another caliber. I just don't get why some will insist that a reloading press should handle bullet swaging duties. I know swaging presses are more expensive, but that's what you need for the job.

The Iron press is designed for precision loading and it handles that very well. There is no slop in this press anywhere and everything lines up. The more I use it, the less I feel guilty for spending the higher price for this single stage press. I like that the shell holder is "locked" in place by the platform that makes it easier to fit a shell into the shell holder.

I am seriously considering selling my Lee Classic Cast single stage now. I don't see it getting used any time soon.

As for WHY buy it...... As listed before by others, Hornady states that there new Iron is strong enough to Swag Bullets. I've wanted a Big Max or A2 or 3 for some time but Finding one is getting Harder and Harder not to mention Price... well out of my range most of the time.
    As for WHY not leave it as is..... That question could be asked of just about any and everything, And all could be answered with the same reply...Personal Preference.. Could it work the way it's been set up..Absolutely.. I would just prefer it be set up like all the other presses I own.. I have no need for quick change on a Single Stage. That's what I bought 2 Dillons for. . Could I just add the second part of the quick Change bushing and it work fine...Absolutely.. But my OCD would not allow me to sleep till I found a solution to my earlier question. Can the Bushings be changed. answer ???? Yes they can. So I shall ......lol....
    I know it seems silly to some,, But these are the problems that only a retired Man seeks to solve ...lol....Getting answers to problems no one else cares about...

Got mine in today. Supper heavy duty press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks like a good solid press except for that bushing deal, you don't need more variables or "SLOP", I'll stick with my Co-ax.

If you will notice, he removed the bushing adaptor and put in a threaded insert to use standard dies without the Hornady quick change bushings. I have an Iron press with the bushings and I will tell you this press has no slop either way.

Boolit Master
    I agree that the new Hornady is very nice. How does it compare to the Redding Ultramag?

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Looks like a good solid press except for that bushing deal, you don't need more variables or "SLOP", I'll stick with my Co-ax.
    How does the Hornady press have any more "slop" than the Co-ax? I think the co-ax is a fine press; but the floating shell holder, along with the floating die holder seem to have more "slop" than then Hornady press. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, the does allow the case to align with the die. On any press, once the ram is up, all slop should be removed as the movable parts have all hit their limit. Both of these are good presses, I don't see one having an advantage over the other. Co-ax has some additional flexibility points, Hornady seems to have some ergonomic points. Both are strong enough for reloading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    How does the Hornady press have any more "slop" than the Co-ax? I think the co-ax is a fine press; but the floating shell holder, along with the floating die holder seem to have more "slop" than then Hornady press. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, the does allow the case to align with the die. On any press, once the ram is up, all slop should be removed as the movable parts have all hit their limit. Both of these are good presses, I don't see one having an advantage over the other. Co-ax has some additional flexibility points, Hornady seems to have some ergonomic points. Both are strong enough for reloading.
    Hi,
    I doubt the Co-ax or Hornady has anything close to "slop" in the ram travel!

The J shellholder used by most presses today has enough "slop" to allow the case to "self align" with the die!

The "jaw" shellholder on the Co-ax probably equals the "J" shellholder in "slop"!

Oh yea a Bonanza Co-Ax was my first press and I used it for 20 odd years!

I prefer heavier type presses now, but tastes change???

Boolit Mold
    The option of mounting the lever for left-handed operation is a very attractive feature.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast