115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 125-150 grains...

4 3.48%
  • 151-175 grains...

78 67.83%
  • 176-200+ grains...

33 28.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boolit Weight for 308 Winchester...

Boolit Bub
    In my various 308s over the years, I always seem to end up back at 165 grain.

168 gr burger VLDs shoot good in my browning BAR 2 Safari, but it likes the 165gr Core lock style bullets also. It has a 1-10 twist

Boolit Buddy
    I like A-max in 168, followed by Hornady Hpbt in 168 for my 1 in 10 308s

Boolit Grand Master
    Heavier boolits have always been easier to get good groups from for me than lighter ones. I admit I have not tried the mid weights, if you already have them, try them. We may all be surprised.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Parameters too wide. I bet if you separated out another couple weight categories, mebbe 150-160 and 160- 180 you'd get a lot more pertinent info...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info...

Started a new thread...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...64#post3598464

BCB

I didn't take the poll because without specifying barrel twist this is more or less…"Which boolit weight do you like to shoot in a .308?"

My 700 varmiter with the 1:12 twist will not spin the 175+g. j-variety at extreme range as well as a 1:10 so I am stuck with the 168g. BTHP. No objections there but I'd rather lob a heavier round at extreme…they (all weights) fall in like mortar rounds but if 'spun up' correctly they come in making round holes. On the other side, if a round is 'over spun' at extreme it doesn't want to go nose down due to the gyroscopic stabilization overpowering its trajectory on the down end of the line of the bullets path.

TiborasaurusRex…in his 'sniper 101 series' of vids goes into more depth of physics and application than most people ever wanted to know…it's truly for the 'enquiring minds want to know crowd'. He is a shooter and backs up everything he teaches with vids of himself shooting beer cans off a post at 1,100 yds. No joke! … https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy...wpMnSLrd-NAQJQ
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    My old 98 mauser vz 24 convertd to .308 shoots the lee 185 gr. sized .312 and 18.5 gr. 2400 great and my Rem 600 and my M1A shoot the 168 j-word like no tomarrow.

Boolit Buddy
    I've tried 150 to 200gr jacketed bullet's in 308. Best shooting were the 165gr and 180gr. 150 and 200 didn't shoot as well, but both would be adequate accuracy wise.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I didn't take the poll because without specifying barrel twist this is more or less…"Which boolit weight do you like to shoot in a .308?"

My 700 varmiter with the 1:12 twist will not spin the 175+g. j-variety at extreme range as well as a 1:10 so I am stuck with the 168g. BTHP. No objections there but I'd rather lob a heavier round at extreme…they (all weights) fall in like mortar rounds but if 'spun up' correctly they come in making round holes. On the other side, if a round is 'over spun' at extreme it doesn't want to go nose down due to the gyroscopic stabilization overpowering its trajectory on the down end of the line of the bullets path.

TiborasaurusRex…in his 'sniper 101 series' of vids goes into more depth of physics and application than most people ever wanted to know…it's truly for the 'enquiring minds want to know crowd'. He is a shooter and backs up everything he teaches with vids of himself shooting beer cans off a post at 1,100 yds. No joke! … https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy...wpMnSLrd-NAQJQ
    I seen most of his vids and i seen that one and I was thinking this guy is really good at what he is doing and for posting how to do it also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I seen most of his vids and i seen that one and I was thinking this guy is really good at what he is doing and for posting how to do it also.
    I love that kids approach in life…he's young and informed but he has some 'old school' qualities that I enjoy…he is all 'up front', been there…done that just as a matter of fact…no brag.

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I am using a Accurate mold 31=180B as my 30cal. multi purpose boolit I use it for .308 Win, 30=06 Spr. and .300 Win. Mag. and push it with IMR 4198 out of all of them

Banned

ive killed quite a few deer and black bear with cup and core 150s. For the last few years ive used 130 speer hps in my Kimber because that's what it shoots well and with anything else its mediocre at best. 7 deer with that bullets so far and the most ive seen one take is two leaps before piling up. Shots out to 250 yards. I had exit wounds on every deer and some impressive damage inside. I do wish it would shoot a 150 well though. Id just feel better about it. If your just talking cast heavier is about allways better. You cant push them much more then 2000fps anyway so you might as well have metplat and weight. personaly for big game id feel much better about 35 cal rifle then a 30. Shot a few deer early in my casting hobby with a 3030 using cast bullets and they didn't impress me much.

Boolit Master

Back in the day, black powder was the limiting factor to velocity, and the answer for long range was bigger bullets with greater momentum.

Today, cast bullets are your limiting factor to velocity, but bigger bullets are still the answer.

Your TC has a 1-10 twist which was born for the 220 round nose of the .30-40 Krag. Give the 202 grain Lyman 311299 a try. NOE makes a copy, which they call the .311-202, that was my easiest cast accuracy workup in a .30-06 to date. They also make a 195 grain flat nose which shoots almost as well if you intend it as a meatgetter.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    For lead I recon if its going slower it should be heavier.

Boolit Master

So the OP posts a wide-open vague question, abandons the thread without supplying specifics, and discussion goes on without him... what is wrong with this picture?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    So the OP posts a wide-open vague question, abandons the thread without supplying specifics, and discussion goes on without him... what is wrong with this picture?
    I’m uncertain as to what your post means…

I look at this thread every time I get notification of a post. I have been looking at the poll results…

I realize the poll is a bit vague, but it has shown the vast majority believe the mid-range weight to be possibly the best. I sort of did that on purpose as listing too many boolit weights would cause even more decisions to be made as the results might be more evenly spread…

I try to evaluate each comment…

I think many threads go on and on without the original poster making comments, but maybe sitting back and observing as I am. Other people reading the thread subject might pick up a tip or two also…

In post #26 I thanked those who took the time to post so I have a good representative amount of information to choose from…

Sorry if I am doing something wrong…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master

I'm glad you got something out of it. All I see is a very vague question, no clarification, a thank you and a meandering bunch of replies grasping at straws.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Hey BCB...
    I cast several different weights for .308...but I'm liking this NOE mould I just got. It's a 3 cavity 195gr, and drops at @ 198gr with coww.

Hit me with a pm if you want to try a few of the cast 195's 165's, or 150's I'm making. If you like one of them, it'd save you some $ determining a good weight/design projectile for what you're doing.

-Butch

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Butchman205 View Post
    Hey BCB...
    I cast several different weights for .308...but I'm liking this NOE mould I just got. It's a 3 cavity 195gr, and drops at @ 198gr with coww.

Hit me with a pm if you want to try a few of the cast 195's 165's, or 150's I'm making. If you like one of them, it'd save you some $ determining a good weight/design projectile for what you're doing.

-Butch
    I greatly appreciated that offer...

Another poster on this website sent me a couple different designs also--So far, I am having some success with the first "heavy weight" I tried. I am now working on the 2nd boolit design he sent...

I'll send you a PM...

Thanks...BCB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast