Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

If Henry Repeating Arms Made These Calibers - Would You Buy One

* 25-20 WCF
    * 32-20 Winchester aka 32 WCF

https://www.henryrifles.com/
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

While I'm seriously wanting a 25-20 to slide in between my .218 Bee and 32-20, it will be an 80's era Marlin rather than a new Henry.
    I'm just not impressed with the fit and quality of Henry rifles - it seems like every part of them is made cheaply. Seems like every other month someone is breaking one on the silhouette range, and no matter how easy a fix it is, you have to send the whole rifle off to Henry for repair, as they will not sell parts. Meanwhile, I have spare Marlin firing pins and ejector's in my range box and can be back in action in nothing flat...

Had a chance to get a 25-20 and passed on it, and own a 32-20. They are fun cartridges but to be painfully honest went obsolete for a reason. The 22 mag will do anything at the lower level they will do and the 357 is a better all around rifle with less expensive and more available ammo. Problem is I have been there done that so much that these cartridges have lsot some of their appeal. I have shot the 32-20 a lot and like it, and do think the 25-20 would be great fun but my 22 mag Henry is seeing more and more use.

DP

Boolit Master

For my taste the Henry's are way too heavy. I prefer the Win. 92 and 73 repro's - Just that the original lines are more pleasing to my eye. The answer for me is no for the Henry
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Would I buy one? Nope, don't believe so. I'm not really a 'levergun' guy...only have two: a Marlin 1894 and a Winchester 9422...but just don't care for the 'feel' of the Henrys that I've handled and shot. To me, they're clunky, poorly balanced, and, definitely, overpriced.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I would love to get the 32/20 if it was a 308 bore like my T/C. Cash is a little scarce at the moment however.

Boolit Master
    I would like to have a .32/20 ,but not enough to pay $800 for it.

Banned
    it would be hard to pay for it, but a 38-55 would be nice.

Boolit Master
    I would consider both IF they had side loading gates like Marlin and Winchester.

Boolit Master
    375 Winchester

Vendor Sponsor

from a practical point I don't see it as a good business move by henry .. demand would be small .. as said above a 357 will do more for less and off the shelf ammo is readily available and fairly cheap . Cases and Mold are abundant ..
    I know this does not mean much to most here as we tend to make our own bullets and many case form but we are a very small portion of the shooting community..

just a special size bolt and tooling for barrels and parts stocking for the small sales volume would be costly for henry
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 03-14-2016 at 03:11 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    No I wouldn't bother with either cartridge. Obsolete under achievers I don't need.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/obsolete_rifle_cartridges.htm

Boolit Master

32/20 and 25/20

Obsolete or not, I find them very fun to shoot and I currently have two 32/20s and a 25/20. All will hit steel well at 200 yards with boring regularity if your sights are up to it. Trajectory gets pretty steep after a hundred yards or so.

While Henry will probably not make rifles in these calibres, you can still find good Marlin 1894CL carbines in the calibres as well as the Browning/Miroko Model 92 replica in 32/20. From a practicality standpoint, if you want one, then these are what you should consider.

Another option for these calibres is the bolt action Savage Model 23. These are very accurate rifles and while most of them for sale these days were ridden pretty hard, they are the proverbial diamond in the ruff.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

I have a couple of Win 92's in 25-20 and like them just fine.
    a 32-20 would be an okay addition but the 38-40 would be more what I want.
    it's just that much more of a 32-20 but that much less than the 44's or even a 41 that it's gonna see some use.

Boolit Master
    I have a Win 92 in 32/20 and 25/20 as well as a Savage 23 in 25/20. My load for the 25/20 is a lyman 75gr cast at 1980fps at 6 to 7cents per round. I have a couple of 22mags but at 25/30cents per round if you can find it and lack luster performance compared to the 25/20, they just collect dust. Would I buy a Henry in 25/20? Nope. Too expensive and too heavy. A Rossi M92, you bet. A Rossi M92 in 256Win would really get me digging for my wallet. I am probably going to rebarrel my Win 92 in 32/20 to 256 Win.

Amen to the 38/55! I'd also like one in 32/40 but I'm an old fart living in the past.

What I'd really like to see Henry do is to take their color case hardened model 45/70 and put the straight lever and butt stock from their 30/30 on it. They make a decent traditional looking 30/30, they can do the same in 45/70, they already have all the parts. Many years ago when Henry first introduced their first 45/70 it had a 18.5" barrel and pistol-grip butt stock. I asked Mr. Anthony Imperato (?) presidente of Henry if he was considering making a straight grip butt stock 22" barreled proper rifle, he replied NO he was not. Well here we are in 2016 and he is halfway there with the 22" barrel, octagon even. Maybe in 5 more years Henry will make a rifle I want to purchase (besides their 22 mag Golden Boy).

Henry's 30/30 on top, 45/70 on bottom

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/c...dened-edition/

Just think how easy it would be to get brass for the oddball calibers if they brought them back.25/20's and 218 Bee brass for pennies instead of dollars.
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees~!

No. No.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I have a couple of Win 92's in 25-20 and like them just fine.
    a 32-20 would be an okay addition but the 38-40 would be more what I want.
    it's just that much more of a 32-20 but that much less than the 44's or even a 41 that it's gonna see some use.
    I am with you on that. The .38/40 is one of my favorites.
    I have owned a nice original 73 and a Colt Bisley.
    Unfortunately , I sold them ..big mistake.

No thanks, the Henry's have no appeal to me. I would be tempted by a Rossi 92 in 32-20 though...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast