RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Remington 48 Sportsman shotgun questions please

Remington 48 Sportsman shotgun questions please

Hope I'm in the right section. I'm coming into posession of a nice old 48 sportsman recoil operated shotgun..it's from the 50's and has a full choke..it's a 12 gauge. I know that shooting steel shot (here in California) is pretty "iffy" in a full choke old shotgun (it's 2 3/4 chamber)...i don't hunt and the gun has very little value as a hunter so thinking of shortening the barrel and using the shotgun for a home defense piece...it has the "dimples" in the tube to keep capacity down but I understand those dimples can be drilled or swedged out with a steel cylinder so it will have more capacity...my goal would be to use #4 buckshot in it...but again, 2 3/4" only.

Being a recoil operated system would the short barrel be a problem? Will a barrel that is cut back to say 19" get out of the full choke area and work for #4 buck? Got a feeling it might kick like a mule and really throw a fire ball but that's not an issue...just want a reliable S/D gun.

Pretty evident I don't shoot shotguns and have not for many years...just trying to use the old girl for something rather than just setting it in the safe and banging things into it..

Thanks
    opos

Moderator Emeritus
    I have the same shotgun and had screw in chokes put into the barrel. They work very well.

Boolit Master

I would sell it and buy a 870 Express. The weight of the barrel plays a part in the recoil. If you shortened the barrel(lighter weight) that messes with the dynamics of the recoil system. What you don't want is an unreliable HD gun. Plus the shucking noise of a pump shotgun is a universal language to criminals.
    The shotgun may be more valuable if sold in parts. Barrel and forearm may bring more than the whole gun.

Boolit Master

"I would sell it and buy a 870 Express."
    I agree. It would be a shame to butcher a fine old hunting gun, only to find it isn't reliable when you finish chopping on it.

In Remembrance

Many years back we had an 11-48 Rem. shotgun in .410 for a general purpose farm gun. We sold it to a friend back in the mid `60`s for his son to use. I heard that the son later wanted a shorter barreled gun for his wife to have in their house. He cut the barrel back to 20" I believe. The gun never worked reliably after that, I heard. Don`t cut the barrel back.Robert