WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Good (important word there) hooch should not need to be from the freezer. Most, if not all foods, taste better on the pallet at 50 and above degrees. When you take alcohol to below 32F, you are killing the flavor factors. Your tongue cannot enjoy the nuances of the distiller's masterpiece.

Many drink vodka out of the freezer. Vodka is total garbage anyway and there is nothing to the taste but raw cutting ethanol anyway! My biased feelings on straight vodka. It all tastes like paint thinner of some kind...warm or cold. Mixes great (only to bump up the alcohol level) in cocktails where other top shelf liqueurs take over the driver's seat on taste.

Tequila is said to give the worst hang over of any other spirit around. Never tested it, as I do not like it enough to drink that much of it straight to find out. Maybe only an ounce in a nice cocktail once in a while.

And I never could understand the "shooters" mentality for any kind of booze. What a waste of flavor. One must sip good spirits and enjoy the nose and taste rather than chugging it right down. That shooter stuff was reserved for my college days many many moon ago.

"With time comes wisdom, Grasshopper."

banger

Boolit Master
    no, I have not read all of this, which is unusual for me, but I have been Job hunting again, So that being said,
    Old Weller, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky, 107 proof is verrrry smooth, A little hard to find, but worth it, and usually less expensive than say, Jack.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Moderator Emeritus

Temperature carries over into drinking ales, I keep my beer fridge at 42, below that the flavors get muted. Now a lager from the ice chest on hot day is fine cold. Not a lot of complex flavors going on there.

Years ago I use to drink alot of whiskey mainly WT 101 ,then got to the point it was not worth to buy and all the beers . then time have past and went and make some wine and some beer also make some marrow whiskey.That is good enough for me. I do not need to distill it.So it all works out for drink alittle before bed and that is good enough for me.I do not drink like I have when I was in the navy years ago. I am glad I am not anymore.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I like Whiskey, Bourban, (with the exceptions of Jack Danials, Black Velvet, (Busch beer of Whiskeys) and Wild Turkey 101...(that stuff will run a butane lighter) Brandy is like cheap whiskey with a bit of lighter fluid added. Tequila is a good parts cleaner if you run out of brake cleaner. Scotch (no matter the brand, cost, or how many "malts" it has) tastes like some type of alcohol that was aged with someones dirty wool socks left in the barrel. Gin is, well, not sure what Gin is, but it tastes like fermented pine needles....burns with a nice blue flame. But I will tell you this, if we were to meet and you offered any of these to me, I'd drink it with ya....maybe not the Scotch. Brands that I really like are Pendleton and Bulleit Bourban. Also a bottle of Southern Comfort in your saddlebags is a nice item if you're up high on a cold day and the "cowboy coffee" is a bit thick. But it's not really for "drinkin"......

Boolit Master

Lots of refined tastes here. Would love to sit down at my bar or yours with any of you!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Used to be an outfit in SoCal called Brookside Winery. You could go to one of these places and sit down and taste pretty much any wine or brandy they carried. The brandy was pretty dog-goned nice. always carried a flask of it in my saddle bags. Came in real handy one time when my partner and I got caught in a blizzard up in the Tehachapi Mountains.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Condorjohn, Yes Evan Williams is a decent Bourbon, I like it straight, south of the Palm Beaches,I was able to get some "Wray & Nephew" " Jamaicain Rum, guaranteed over proof, but here next to Death-Valley,Evan Williasms & Miller Bier is fine, I'l be 82 next month

Boolit Buddy
    I drank mainly bourbon over the years but have come to really enjoy Jameson. Nice earthy finish.

Boolit Master

I bought a Colorado whisky called Tin Cup last night and enjoyed it very much. Just a little bite and smooth enough.
    BDGR

Boolit Master
    I grew up in the coal fields of southern WV and drank everything. Became a soldier and still everything. Two tours in Germany and more of everything. Best taste for me then was Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Cognac. (I hope I'm remembering that right. It came in the Class VI store with a stand to look like a cannon.) Last decade almost nothing, beer becomes a skunk if I buy some. I was recently offered a drink of Knob Creek....I gotta say that's a winner!

Boolit Master

was or is there a whiskey made by dickels I think that is how you spell it? thanks for the answers
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    was or is there a whiskey made by dickels I think that is how you spell it? thanks for the answers
    George Dickel makes Tennessee Whiskey. Had a buddy in college that drank it, but I never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by mortre View Post
    George Dickel makes Tennessee Whiskey. Had a buddy in college that drank it, but I never tried it.
    The best thing I can say for Dicklel is that it is considerably better than the other Tennessee Whiskey (Jack Daniels).

Kentucky became the center for whiskey distilling because of the water there. If Tennessee had better water, it would be made there. I have always contented that the distillers in Tennessee charcoal filter their product because of inferior water.

There are several people trying to distill whiskey in Texas but it is swill. I say that as a Texan. Not everything is better in Texas and whiskey is one of the inferior products that come from Texas.

Water is the essence of good whiskey/whisky and there is no way around that. All the secret recipes and distilling hocus-pocus won't make good whiskey/whisky, if they start with inferior water.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The best thing I can say for Dicklel is that it is considerably better than the other Tennessee Whiskey (Jack Daniels).

Kentucky became the center for whiskey distilling because of the water there. If Tennessee had better water, it would be made there. I have always contented that the distillers in Tennessee charcoal filter their product because of inferior water.

There are several people trying to distill whiskey in Texas but it is swill. I say that as a Texan. Not everything is better in Texas and whiskey is one of the inferior products that come from Texas.

Water is the essence of good whiskey/whisky and there is no way around that. All the secret recipes and distilling hocus-pocus won't make good whiskey/whisky, if they start with inferior water.
    My dad has always been a fan of Jack Daniels, but I always mixed it with coke. He'll drink in on ice. I'm hoping the next time he visits I'll be able to introduce him to a better alternative. Unfortunately we don't see each other often. He still lives in TN, but I moved to WA state 15 years ago. That's an expensive plane trip these days.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post

Yeah... what CharGar said. There's one made at Hye, TX named 'Garrison Brothers' that only aspires to being swill. They charge $80/bottle and there are some long-haired yuppie Austin commie types that actually buy it because it's made locally. They're also real big on 'Tito's' vodka that is supposed to be the nectar of the gods. I'll never know. Real bourbon comes from Kentucky. Thanks, Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post

Yeah... what CharGar said. There's one made at Hye, TX named 'Garrison Brothers' that only aspires to being swill. They charge $80/bottle and there are some long-haired yuppie Austin commie types that actually buy it because it's made locally. They're also real big on 'Tito's' vodka that is supposed to be the nectar of the gods. I'll never know. Real bourbon comes from Kentucky. Thanks, Kentucky.
    I bought a bottle of Garrison Brothers when it came on the market a few years back at $90.00 a pop. It sat around the house for a few years before I finally poured most of it down the drain. I could not give it away after somebody has a taste.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    I bought a Colorado whisky called Tin Cup last night and enjoyed it very much. Just a little bite and smooth enough.
    BDGR
    The bite can be taken out of any distilled spirits by running it through a "column still" several times. What you get is no bite (smooth) spirits without character, complexity or really much flavor.

Really good whisky is made in a copper pot still. It will have a bite, but will also have very complex flavors and a long finish. It seems that folks today don't want distilled spirits that taste like distilled spirits. Just another example of the wimpification of America.

Boolit Man
    Well mortre,you've found a very popular "recreation" amongst us boolit casters here.For about the past 10 years,I've made one evening a week"bourbon night".Savoring a great bourbon,ones with complex flavors is very welcoming.The Four Roses you mention is just beautiful.Other preferences are Woodford Reserve,Black Label Jim Beam,Knob Creek ,Jefferson.But the favorite is Wild Turkey 101.It's flavors are big,long lasting and all over the place.Cheers(responsibly).

I support my local economy , it is good whisky as well

http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com/products.html