RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need lubrisizer recommendations

Boolit Bub
    I have a Star sizer and a whack of dies, I love that machine

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a Lyman 450 about 1969 ....love it, works great, nothing has broken, nothing has been replaced and I'm still using it .
    A decent handgun lube is a mix of 3 parts beeswax to 1 part lithium grease. I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky lithium grease. Measure by weight .
    Gary

Boolit Master
    If you really got the casting bug, shoot a lot, get the star.

I use a version of Glen's Lube. 1/3 Sta-Lube Moly Graph 2/3 Randyrat's Beeswax. It's plenty soft and tacky at room temperature. Never use the heater except a couple minutes if the shop was freezing overnight. I get a good lube star, no lube on recovered boolits. I found Glen's recipe way too soft. It may be differences in beeswax. My 1/3 - 2/3s recipe is a lot softer than any Lyman stick lube.

I mix a batch in a stainless beaker, heat it up and pour it into my 4500.

Like Gary I measure by weight.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I have a 45, 4500 and a LAM2. If I were buying new I would get the RCBS. Stronger and cheaper as well. I haven't gotten around to drilling out a socket to replace the ball handle thingie but I will eventually. I have some old Kmart sockets that I'm willing to part with.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Star is so much faster than the Lyman/RCBS/SAECO style of lubesizers. I had 2x 45's with a ton of sizing dies and top punches. I sold both off to fund a new Star from Magma. I bought all my sizing dies from Lathesmith, one of which he spaced the holes perfectly for one of my 3 groove boolits.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The orange Lyman 450s have a very sloppy ram.
    The gray Lyman 450s have a good snug fit for the ram.

The RCBS lube sizers have the best fitting ram and strongest linkage.
    Well now you tell me,,,,,,,,,. My experience certainly seems to bear this out. (The hard way). With these things, there aren't but a hand full of requirements when it comes to line boring for the ram and die. You would think AMF was in charge at Lyman during the same period they were at Harley Davidson,,,,,,,.

On on the other hand, something that I've not read on this board is someone asking or posting which brand/model has the tightest tolerances and maintains a straight stroke on the bullet among the two stroke lubrisizers.
    Last edited by Hamish; 04-03-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    SNIP...

On on the other hand, something that I've not read on this board is someone asking or posting which brand/model has the tightest tolerances and maintains a straight stroke on the bullet among the two stroke lubrisizers.
    While there isn't a multi-page sticky thread about which is better, there are plenty of threads discussing peoples opinions, and when I've posted about why I have a preference for the 45, there is generally a post that pops up, exclaiming that the 450 has a much better/strong handle and linkage and the 45 is a poor choice.

Now this one goes back a few years, but Gear explains, quite well, the short comings of the 450's design in post #10
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1922557
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I'm new to the hobby and I don't know about the other brands, but the Lyman 4500 is difficult to master with small boolits. Currently, I'm lubing 95 grain 9mm Makarov, and will soon be doing 9mm Luger.
    Its hard to find the right amount of pressure and heat to keep the TAC-1 flowing to the single lube groove without some type of excess on the boolits or die. I don't mind some, but I spend a lot of time wiping off the die or the boolits. Much slower production than I anticipated, and little pieces of lube seem to get everywhere on the floor and my bench. It's frustrating.

I load a thousand rounds per month for myself and a friend, and I regret not getting the Star/Magma. It's only $100ish more.

Boolit Master
    About a year ago I started out pan lubing with a cake cutter , then lee sizing kit with tumble lube , then tried pc . After getting everything covered in lube and making a mess I got mad and ordered a magma lubesizer , I am now in a happy place with lube sizing I don't even think about it . Just watch your fingers . I watched auction sights for months for a used lube sized and at the price I just decided to get a new one out of frustration . The wife's happy to no mess or finding pots and pans covered in slime , or hearing bursts of profanity in the basement . 350.00 Seams high but I forgot the price as soon as I used it the first time . I understand you do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do but it's nice .

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Now this one goes back a few years, but Gear explains, quite well, the short comings of the 450's design in post #10
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1922557
    Clear, concise, and 100% correct.

I guess I'm in the market for a LNIB 45,,,,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

He just sold one amigo ... It may if been better than lnib - it may of actually been never used ... I wished I had the cash for it at the time ...it would of looked great sitting beside it's slightly newer brand spanking new #45 gen II ( of course it would of been just like it's brother ...sitting there collecting dust on the box but meh lolz )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    I used a lubresizer at first but found it eaiser to tumble lube and use Lee push through sizers.works for me ,I like to keep things simple and I'm a tightwad.

Boolit Master
    If it works , it works no mater how you do it .

Bought the Lyman 4500 and it works like a champ for me!

Well I figure the best way to go is top quality for bottom dollar.
    Just bought 2 more nice Stars, w/dies, the man was asking $200 total.
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm still kinda new at this, but I'm learning.

I have owned and used the orange Lyman, the grey Lyman, and a San Diego Star lubesizer. Each has its features. The orange Lyman was the worst one I used. I still use the Star for my 357s and 45s, but for my 30 WCF I heat lube, and dip boolits in lube, and then run them through the Lee sizer. Works fine for me. Just keep the excess lube wiped off and get busy.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12