RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Old Star sizer/luber sizing die set screw problem

Boolit Master

Old Star sizer/luber sizing die set screw problem

Every time my Star sizer/luber gets up to good operating temperature, with each pull of the handle that unnecessary sizing die set screw starts backing out. You can see the thing turn several degrees with each pull of the handle. I have two Stars, both older and both with the set screw. On my original that set screw starts backing out every time. Also it leaks lube, though not a great. The other one - never a problem. Anybody dealt with this successfully short of heliarcing the hole shut? Big Boomer

Clean the set screw and the hole it goes into with something that will remove the waxy lube/grease, then when it is dry use some locktite to thread the set screw in far enough so the lube won't leak through, but not far enough in to interfere with sizing die install or removal. Let it set for 24 hours so the locktite dries. Then when you use it, the set screw won't move.

Banned
    Use the blue locktite not the red

Boolit Bub
    Clean the threads on both the screw & casting very well.

Try wrapping the screw in plumbing thread tape.
    Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. Sherlock Holmes

Banned
    The problem with trying to wrap with teflon tape is the set screw is very small. I still second VHoward and the locktite. The setscrew isn't needed and the Magma version of the Star sizer doesn't have it.

Boolit Master

I tried the Teflon thread tape and it only slowed things down a little. Gonna try the Loctite, threading the "set" screw in just far enough to clear the sizing die. Thanks fellow shooters! Big Boomer

Boolit Buddy
    I just remove the set screw and replace it with a short bolt with a jam nut. Never moves till you want it to.

Boolit Master

sagamore-one ... I read your sentence about three times and then the light came on! Thanks! I have the answer you suggested nearly within inches of that Star sizer/luber. Big Boomer

sagamore-one: Had a tray of nuts and bolts - handy to have around - & found a short hex-head bolt with the right threads. Screwed the jam nut on, found a flat washer that barely fit on the bolt threads, and dug out of my pluming/faucet fixing box a small neoprene o-ring that I had to roll up on the bolt threads. Stuck a dental pick into the Star body hole to get the length of the bolt that needed to be screwed into the die body, screwed the bolt in and tightened the jam nut against the Star luber/sizer die body and the thing was fixed. Thanks for the idea. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 03-14-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: correction