WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mould Storage Pics

Banned

Mould Storage Pics

Lets see how you store your moulds. I know there are threads already on here but they are short and don't have many pics. Lets see pics guys. A pic says a thousand words.

I was just trying to figure out this same exact thing. The only thing I could think of that would be aesthetically pleasing in the reloading room (indoors) is a 3x3 shelving unit with 2 molds per square.
    -Chris

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    In the cardboard boxes they can in! Simple.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    There's about 4 shelves that look like this, and the majority of the iron ones are stored in Tupperware bins with a large bag of desiccant in each. This system may explain why I have duplicates of several. Everything is well preserved and safe from rust.... but sometimes hard to find.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Beagle, do you take the handles off?
    -Chris

Boolit Grand Master
    I live in Alabama, hot and humid here in the summer. I have to have something that controls humidity.

I found a large " 20 mm size " military ammo can with a rubber seal in the lid.

When I saw it, I thought " Gee ....that would make me a real nice bullet mold storage cabinet."

It came home with me and I got started to work.

I decided to make me 2 trays inside with individual compartments to hold my molds. Each tray holds 28 molds X 2 shelves = 56 molds in total.

Each compartment will hold a single or double cav. mold. I built it such that I can even put a HP mold and its pin in the compartment without a problem.

I labeled each compartment with the Mold Brand, Mold number, Caliber , etc. This is an added piece of organization that was welcomed.

Pics below of the can and the " Finished Product " . Tell me what you think ......

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a " Golden Rod " in my mold storage cabinet.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Ben; 03-12-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I dabble a bit with wood so I knocked this together. All my molds have handles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moldcab2.jpg   moldcab1.jpg  

Holy **** shooter! That thing is gorgeous! I wish I had woodworking skills like that.
    -Chris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chrisstophere View Post
    Holy **** shooter! That thing is gorgeous! I wish I had woodworking skills like that.
    Or had a good friend with those skills!
    That ammo can of Bens is pretty darned ingenious.

I have mine mostly in a couple plastic storage boxes and keep them in an old 5 drawer Craftsmen tool box. It aint fancy but then neither am I.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old dead fridge out in my shop I store powder in, I keep my moulds in the freezer section with a gun safe style dry rod for moisture protection.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisstophere View Post
    Beagle, do you take the handles off?
    Not on one that I want to use next time. I just hose the mold down in RemOil, put a sandwich bag around the mold and snap a rubber band over it. I'll take the handles off and store the mold in the Tupperware bin if I have just used a mold that I know won't see action for a while.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    In a wooden box in the reloading room. I don't even lube them. No humidity here.

Doesn't Paulden get monsoon weather like down in Phoenix?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Mould Storage Pics

There are a bunch of threads about this. But I will post the pic I always do.

Boxes are from Harbor Freight. Only issue I have is w/ larger molds and four cavity NOEs. The box isn't the same depth in all spots. There are two shortened slots. A four cavity NOE won't fit as it's slightly to long. They will fit in the other slots just fine. Six cavity molds are obviously a no go but I only have two of them.

Call me old fashioned, I coat all my molds in grease after I'm done using them. Nothing fancy or heavy, just a coat of grease put on with a q-tip and then I wrap the the greased mold in a napkin or paper towel. Typical mold with grease, a raphine hb mold for the 44cal's.

[IMG][/IMG]

A lyman mold (right) that has been stored for 3+ years (38spl hb mold), the grease turns color but it does it's job, no rust.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've had molds stored for 10+ years this way without any issues. Had those greased molds (pictured above) along with 50+ other molds stored in an area that would reach 0 in winter to 110*+ in summer. They were in an unheated attic in ne ohio. Grease, oil's like chainsaw bar oil/motor oil/tranny fluid, diesel fluid, cutting oils. Anything like that will work. I used to take old motor oil and strain it then let it settle and pour it in a plastic bucket. I'd wrap bailing wire around the mold holding it closed and leave enough of a tail of wire to form a tail/hook. Simply hook the wire tail/hook on the side of the bucket and suspend the mold in the oil. When I wanted to use the mold I'd pull it and let it hang for a couple of minutes and wash it with hot soapy water.

Anymore I just use grease & a paper wrapper. I can leave those mold that way for decades and never worry about them.

Boolit Master
    I found that the project box at Wallymart, Joanne's and Michaels are great for molds. I have a separate box for each caliber. They lock and have a handle and I put some DPI paper in the box.
    I live in MI and the humidity can really change. I put powder in an Army surplus mortar boxes.
    Simple and cheap.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    I keep mine in an old suit case. That's gonna change after reading this, thanks all for the inspiration.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Kroil oil in a zip lock then vacuum sealed. They stay in the same condition, even after years with no worry about rust.
    Attachment 164381

Boolit Master

You all have my sympathy. Living in a climate with RH around 10% plus being at 7500' elevation we've found pots of Indian corn that date back several thousand years that haven't rotted yet. Rust prevention and keeping powder dry isn't much effort here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    You all have my sympathy. Living in a climate with RH around 10% plus being at 7500' elevation we've found pots of Indian corn that date back several thousand years that haven't rotted yet. Rust prevention and keeping powder dry isn't much effort here.
    I bet the shake and bake powder coating also works great for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast