MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips I learned for keeping USPS shipping costs down since rate increase

Boolit Buddy

Well guys it's been over 4 months since I wrote that and I've completed a big ebay push selling all the stuff we had been hoarding in the attic and some other things and I can say that over about 60 or so sales/shipments USPS was the cheapest option for about 55 of them.

I don't like the post office's policies on things too much, but they are offering an exceptional value compared to UPS/fedex. Unless the item was under a pound I checked every package usps vs ups/fedex and nearly always usps was the better price. Generally speaking I'm finding that UPS/fedex only win when it can't fit in a flat rate and is large or heavy AND shipping over half the country away.

I think the big companies must get an exceptional rate from ups/fedex when they use them, or they are just easier to deal with professionally than the P.O.. For us little guys the post office generally seems like the way to go for most reloading size items.

Boolit Master
    Gotta agree that USPS is the way to go. Just watch out when you use one of their flat rate envelopes. As long as you leave it loose like an envelope, you're good. Roll it up & tape it & the person on the other end will either be paying postage due or will send it back. I know, I paid the postage for a couple of moulds but got refunded from folks on ebay. But, other than that, have been the best bargain out there.

Banned

Agree with Andy.

I started selling on eBay because GunBroker was not getting the hits and sales on items. EBay postage is discounted and if you use your own envelope or bag they are way less expensive to use.

Ebay has also updated their firearms parts policy to the latest executive order on international parts BS. So now you have to find the line and select all the areas you'll not be shipping to in order to have your gun parts listed.

It didn't take Ebay long to get the new executive orders up on shipping .

Attention Sellers:...
    Alert
    Gun parts, gun accessories, crossbows, throwing knives, and Airsoft equipment and accessories can only be sold on the U.S. eBay website (eBay.com) by sellers located in the United States.
    Also, because most night vision goggles, military clothing, breathing apparatuses and military body armor are included on the United States Munitions List, which is part of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) Part 121, you can only list these items for sale within the U.S.
    Items found on the ITAR Part 121 list cannot be offered for shipment outside the U.S.
    Please edit your listing to offer shipping to the United States only.
    Also, please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with our firearms, weapons and knives and our military items policies.
    The burden is on you to make sure that items that you list on eBay comply both with applicable laws and with eBay's Military Items policy, and failure to comply with these laws and policies may result in disciplinary action against your eBay account and referral to law enforcement.
    Please review our policies and the links to useful information regarding applicable federal regulations and government agency oversight in this area.
    Thanks,
    eBay

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well guys it's been over 4 months since I wrote that and I've completed a big ebay push selling all the stuff we had been hoarding in the attic and some other things and I can say that over about 60 or so sales/shipments USPS was the cheapest option for about 55 of them.

I don't like the post office's policies on things too much, but they are offering an exceptional value compared to UPS/fedex. Unless the item was under a pound I checked every package usps vs ups/fedex and nearly always usps was the better price. Generally speaking I'm finding that UPS/fedex only win when it can't fit in a flat rate and is large or heavy AND shipping over half the country away.

I think the big companies must get an exceptional rate from ups/fedex when they use them, or they are just easier to deal with professionally than the P.O.. For us little guys the post office generally seems like the way to go for most reloading size items.
    I worked for Hewlett Packard and subsequent spinoffs for 25 years.

We shipped EVERYTHING overnight/FEDEX, because we had a deal with them. Shipping regular surface was the same price! You would not believe how much stuff got shipped around the USA every day, from sales office to demo equipment center and back. I routinely received stuff from Malaysia, as some of the gear I supported was manufactured there.

In a single small office it was not unusual to see six or eight hundred pounds, or even 5 times that, of very expensive instruments going various places on a daily basis.

I read this with interest... and have only one tidbit to offer due to ONE personal experience. Our great rural delivery gal was off with back surgery... the twerp sub was a nummie.

I had a friend on the Left Coast send me a DVD in a SFRB, to get the $50 insurance...it never arrived in my mailbox. I filed on it or he did and the bottom line is that their "scanner" is GPS rated, and it said it was scanned at my mail box....

I pointed out that given the long history of screw ups, she could have scanned it there, then drove off and not put it in box!

I / we got no insurance on it. Without a signature, that $50 insurance is as bogus as a politician's promises!

Boolit Buddy

Dec 13 2016 bought 50 # lead here on the forum, picked up by Post office , scaned should have been ,at my house on the 17th , never showed up , no scans by the post office , emailed seller told him about it , I was not in a hurry or concerned for that fact , the seller is a good guy , . I filed a complaint with the postmaster here , they said they will investigate , after 4 or 5 stupid emails and a week and a half, she appoligizied , and informed me that it never left Las Vegas, NO DUH.... well mean while me and the seller decided to give it till the 2nd of January and see what happens , no big deal.... 2nd came and still nothing contacted the seller like we decided still im in no hurry, no big deal im not mad or anything. Seller sends out 2 more boxes with lead in them on the 3rd of January, 2 days later there at my front gate sitting on the ground , scan said they were left at the gate with someone ,Not True, and boxes were dirty as hell and you could barley read the address or the scan bar..... but they did get here a day early. Morel of the story is the USPS is a **** shoot in my opinion and im sure that the other 2 boxes are in the lost mail because of dirt unreadable labels because there were no further scans on those 2 boxes after the Las Vegas Post office got them , or there was a bullet caster driving the truck that day. LOL
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy

Really I can say hell but they wont let me spell C R A P shoot
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Filters are what they are... and the admi has to draw lines in the sand...high tide can wash things away, but never make it perfectly safe as a family site...

Sorry for your lead deal... I"m very suspicious of the FRB now after the tale I shared above... free insurance to $50 my behind... they use a digital scanner/reader to say it was put in box sitting there, but the DVD in a SFRB never got in my mailbox... I was in knee replacement rehab last Jan and looked for the mail daily to go out and use my walker, so I really, really doubt someone stopped and swiped what they put in...given the relief driver had a history of delivering my mail elsewhere, reported it 3x to the PO and never resolved it... so now I will be filing a complaint in future with the Postmaster General... wanted to give the locals a chance, but the heck with that!

Boolit Master

I find that the Flat Rate Envelope and Legal Size Flat Rate Envelope save $0.35 over the SFRB.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned

Example 2: A 10oz item in your own small box will cost about $4 First class vs $6.80 in a SFRB and should arrive just as fast.
    problem with that is there is no online first class - it's priority only ... and they know exactly why they're doing that.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    problem with that is there is no online first class - it's priority only ... and they know exactly why they're doing that.
    Yes there is. As noted above if you have a PayPal account just log in at

paypal.com/shipnow

It will allow for cheaper priority rates as well as first class and other types of shipping. It doesn't have to be for a PayPal transaction either. Tracking is always included as well.

In my experience...first class is sometimes slower than priority...but not always.

Banned

dang, i did not know that about paypal - excellent info, very much obliged sir! though these dayze i prefer to avoid anything to do with pp.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    dang, i did not know that about paypal - excellent info, very much obliged sir! though these dayze i prefer to avoid anything to do with pp.
    I understand the feelings about pp, but I see it as a necessary evil. I live out in the sticks and don't want to drive to town to mail a $3 package.

Boolit Buddy

You can mail up to a 15.9 oz package first class via paypal shipnow or ebay shipping as long as you are under a 12x12x12" cube in size.

As other people have mentioned, the Flat Rate Envelope is a good alternative to the SFRB for certain items that fit and are appropriate to send in an envelope. You can figure any time I said "SFRB" in the flowchart you can apply the same rules to the FRE. It does save $.35 but it protects the item a lot less than the SRRB of course. It is a great way to ship the lee dies that come in the round case.

Boolit Bub
    The PADDED flat rate envelope is the best value in my opinion. It will actually hold two small flat rate boxes (although I don't advocate using usps supplies In that way). I ordered some boxes that are 3x6x8 and they are a perfect fit in the padded envelope and will ship for the same price as a small flat rate box...and since there is a box inside the envelope the item is protected more. If you are not using padded envelopes you should look into it.

Boolit Buddy

As far as I understand there is only one flat rate envelope and that is the padded one with bubble wrap adhered to the inside. The other priority envelope I have seen is not a flat rate. I could be mistaken though. Thanks for the tip on using your own box inside the flat rate envelope, that's a good idea and gives you more size/protection than the SFRB for a minimum of hassle. Even factoring the box cost it would be very useful for those items that would fit in a 3x6x8 but not in a 1.6x5.4x8.6 (SFRB), that extra 1.4" of width really would come in handy for a variety of items I don't want in just an envelope so I'm going to keep what you mentioned in mind.

I am glad to have everyone posting their own tips to this thread, I am not an expert shipper by any means and I am glad to be learning from the experiences of others.

Boolit Buddy

I think I may have been wrong in thinking that first class parcels have to be under 12x12x12", not sure where I got that from originally. After doing more reading on the usps website it looks like they can be up to 22"Lx18"wx15" thick, as long as you keep it under a pound. Also called the local postmaster and she agreed with this. Huge savings to be had here on larger lightweight items if this is true, going to try out a few this coming week as a test.

Boolit Bub
    Well it seems USPS went up again . Cost 7.15 for small flat rate box this morning .

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, rates went especially higher on the first class packages under a pound. 15.9 oz package is now $4.30 vs previously $3.60 for a 20% increase, that one hurts as I find myself using those the most.

FYI the SFRB is only $6.25 if you ship through the paypal/shipnow process and print the label ahead of time from there.

POSTAL INCREASE ON 1-23-2017: LFRB: $17.35 MFRB:$13.60 SFRB: $7.15. DID NOT GET A HEADS UP ON THIS RATE INCREASE LIKE LAST YEAR. WENT TO Print postage an discovered it!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast