Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Broken mauser 98 receiver

Boolit Mold

Broken mauser 98 receiver

I have a commercial fn mauser receiver that I some how broke the ears for the bolt catch. I am wondering if these can be soldered or tig welded back on. I was hoping to put this thing together someday and just noticed this. Any information would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mauser.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	163294

Boolit Master

Build it up with weld. Don't need to worry about heat treat on the rear of the action, just don't quench after welding.

Boolit Master
    May I suggest some heat stop welding paste. When it came out one of the demonstrations was to apply the paste on a flat piece of steel on both sides. Then while holding it bare handed the other end was heated with an oxy atetelene torch. Really does work. You could have the broken stubs tig welded to minimize the heat affected zone as well. Brownells sells the paste if I remember right, or any good welding supply house. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    May I suggest some heat stop welding paste. When it came out one of the demonstrations was to apply the paste on a flat piece of steel on both sides. Then while holding it bare handed the other end was heated with an oxy atetelene torch. Really does work. You could have the broken stubs tig welded to minimize the heat affected zone as well. Brownells sells the paste if I remember right, or any good welding supply house. Frank
    Somebody said that ordinary joint compound works about as well as the welding heat sync paste. Of course somebody could be wrong, too. Just passing it along.

That's broken........ send it to me for proper disposal.
    I have fixed one that had the same problem. Dont need to worry about heat damaging the rear of that action, just tig the ears back on with the front half wrapped in a damp cloth.
    Last edited by autofix4u; 03-12-2016 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Can't type..

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for your replies I'll be removing the blueing so I can take it to a local guy I know to be tig welded.

Boolit Master
    looks like a silver solder job to me. silver solder would be strong enuf and easily done, though it would leave a joint line that will not blue, which you wouldn't see under the bolt stop lever, anyway.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for silver brazing.
    EDG