Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB loads without gas checks in a 300 Blackout or a 7.62 x39 on an AR platform

Boolit Mold

CB loads without gas checks in a 300 Blackout or a 7.62 x39 on an AR platform

Okay I would like to know if anyone shoots 300 Blackout or 7.62 x39 without gas checks on an AR platform. I would just like to not have to go through the extra work, putting gas checks on. Already did it with my 223 and it is a pain. Maybe some recommendations and load data thanks

Boolit Master
    I tried the no gas check boolits in my .223 AR. Couldn't hold minute of berm. My guess is that it would be the same result in yours.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Mold
    I put the gas checks on my 223 boolits for my AR-15 they shoot fine but I just don't want to have to put gas checks on if I can get away with it. So I was hoping that in a 300 Blackout or 7.62 x39 I could shoot those without gas checks has anybody done this and if so any load data would be wonderful thanks for all your help

I push a 105 grain plain base bullet from a .30-30 close to 2000 with no ill effect and good accuracy. Same bullet in a .32-20 at 1700 also good, both loaded with 2400. Are you buying a mould or do you already have a gas check mould? I doubt a gas check bullet fired without the check will give much joy.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot (almost exclusively) Lee 312-155's ESPC'd in my 300 BO,shoot it them over 1680 at 1950 fps, very accurate.

Boolit Master
    I also shoot plain based in both my 30-30 and 32 WS-- but I'm not pushing to such high velocities (I'm up to about 1600 max-- usually slower)
    Hick: Iron sights!

NOE 230 grn. PB Blackout boolit in .300 Blackout 10.5" AR pistol. 10.0 grns. H110. 1300 FPS.

Boolit Mold
    Ouachita Mts. Ark. on cattle ranch with pistol and 400 yd rifle range 10 steps from reloading room
    In my 450BM tried 255 grain lee mold for .452 but cast about 454 with my recipe. Sized them to 452 and over W296 at around 1500-1600 they were disappointing after the groups I get with GC bullets. I'm toying with trying some PB 130gr in 300 BO. Can't recall the mold number but its an old Ideal.
    Sorry Amigos I can't remember my own phone number so mold numbers are go look and write down.
    If nobody ever told you...... Old age ain't for those who give up easy..... something you have to fight everyday.
    ancientriflesmith
    Author/Historian/consultant to TV and Big Screen productions

Boolit Bub
    NOE 311-180 K31 PB here, powder coated and sent along at 1650, from an 8" barrel, shoots better than I can.

Boolit Mold
    Okay first off thanks for all the helpful information, keep it coming.But I have a question is anyone shooting 300 Blackout just sized and lubed no Powder Coating. If so please let me know what powder and how much you're using that would be great, again thanks for all the helpful information

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Getdet View Post
    Okay first off thanks for all the helpful information, keep it coming.But I have a question is anyone shooting 300 Blackout just sized and lubed no Powder Coating. If so please let me know what powder and how much you're using that would be great, again thanks for all the helpful information
    I shoot the Lee 311-155 both PC'd and lubed. Same load for both, only diff is smoke with the lubed ones.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    I shoot (almost exclusively) Lee 312-155's ESPC'd in my 300 BO,shoot it them over 1680 at 1950 fps, very accurate.
    Ipijohn, may we assume (because neither of your posts say), that you are NOT using gas checks? If so, how fast are you pushing them?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricklaw View Post
    Ipijohn, may we assume (because neither of your posts say), that you are NOT using gas checks? If so, how fast are you pushing them?
    No GC's as post said I am around 1950 fps.

Boolit Master
    Go thru the work GC s are not an option ,they are the only way to get on paper unless you just like to recycle ammo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    No GC's as post said I am around 1950 fps.
    Thanks. My experience with that mold has been similar in a 7.62x40. It seems to perform with or without GC.

Vendor Sponsor
    Never had much luck with the no gas check. Lately, I've been using 150 FMJ (I know, shame on me) in my 300 BO, 7.62X39 Mini 30 with .308 bore, M1A and Garand, 1 bullet, 4 loads

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I push a 105 grain plain base bullet from a .30-30 close to 2000 with no ill effect and good accuracy. Same bullet in a .32-20 at 1700 also good, both loaded with 2400. Are you buying a mould or do you already have a gas check mould? I doubt a gas check bullet fired without the check will give much joy.
    Why do I keep seeing this over and over? I shoot the Lee 160gr 2R TL .312 without gas check sub-sonic and with GC super-sonic and get great accuracy either way.

I shoot the 440gr .501" from 3 different 500 S&W mag pistols with 2 different load WITHOUT the gas check and the accuracy is nothing short of amazing.

I'm really starting to believe that this is one of those old wives tales that nobody has taken time to prove or disprove.

I powder coat all of my cast boolits now and will be soon loading the 160 2R TL in 300 BO and I will certainly be using it un-checked for sub-sonic work. Depending on velocity I may even try it without GC super sonic.

Motor

Boolit Master
    If you want to shoot no GC, No prob. However, if you want to cycle your AR and maintain some accuracy, I think you will need a good PB design and only push them to the point the gun cycles.

Boolit Master
    Had a special order PB170 gr mold made by Lee based on the 170gr 309 R just to shoot in the 300 BLK with 14 gr IMR 4227 it was fair out to 50 yards ! Good enough for CQB practice. Tried it in my 30-30 not great but workable.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the Lee 160gr. . 311 bullet(mine are 165gr.) with gas checks in 7.62x39 palmetto uppers. with the gas checks I get good accuracy(about an inch @ 50 yards. @ about 1750fps. WITH OUT the gas checks it was a minute of cookie sheet at 25 yards. I hit the target paper twice out of 9 shots at 25 yards. (three different powder weights) I also shoot a 6.8 with gas checks(131gr. NOE bullet) and half of the 4 holer mold is plane base. the plane base are not accurate in my 6.8 upper but the Gas checks run about an inch at 50 yards @ 2150- 2200fps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast