WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2400?

2400?

Anybody know what's going on? Other powders are available, including Alliant products, but 2400 is nowhere to be found.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the reply I got from Alliant when I asked why no 2400.

My crystal ball is not that clear. I have tried to assure people in the past that the powder shortage would be over, but that has come up to bite me so many times I quit doing that.
    All I can say is that I have seen this propellant on the shelves of my local dealers in the last few months. It didn't last long as you can imagine. But, things are improving and we are seeing more and more propellant on the shelves today than we were a couple of years ago. So, hopefully, and don't hold me to this, the situations should be improving soon. On a side note I have seen this propellant on the shelves in my local dealers, but it also didn't last very long.
    Thanks,
    Shoot Straight
    DuaneVB
    CCI/Speer/Alliant
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID

I too have seen this one the shelf. Like other powders it is hit or miss kind of deal. One dealer actually had a couple 8 pounders.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Ballistic supply gets it in occasionally but it doesn't last long. You can back order some through them, however and just wait it out. I have 15# on back order with them. Don't know when it'll ship, but it will at some point. I'm guessing 3-4 weeks before my order ships.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master
    I too have seen it on the shelf, but also as said, it doesn't last too long.

Boolit Grand Master
    Neither do fast/medium fast pistol powders. 231, Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, and others.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remembrance

LGS here has a shelf full of powder including BE and 2400. Also a couple 1 lber's of Unique. I have plenty for now but if I get some "mad" money I may pick up a few more pounds.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

In Remembrance

Does this mean that my full 8 lb. jug is a rarity?Robert

Boolit Master

My local supply - http://www.phillipswholesale.com/news---updates.html (Phillips Wholesale) in Pomona Ca. - has two 8 pounders and 12 1 pounders on the shelf as we speak, as well as 231, Unique and Bullseye. I've noticed that for the past 6 months it has been showing up in greater frequency...

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    My local supply - http://www.phillipswholesale.com/news---updates.html (Phillips Wholesale) in Pomona Ca. - has two 8 pounders and 12 1 pounders on the shelf as we speak, as well as 231, Unique and Bullseye. I've noticed that for the past 6 months it has been showing up in greater frequency...
    I called as quickly as I could. They won't ship, and California is too far for me to drive this weekend.

Boolit Master

For anyone in the east-central Illinois or St. Louis Metro area in need of Alliant Powders. Went out on a 'road trip' (Amish bulk foods outlet and a couple of rural antique barns) with my wife today. Stopped by a small - but well-stocked - gunshop in a small town along the way and picked up a couple lbs. each of 2400 and Unique to 'top off' my supply. Shop is Zancha's in Lovington, IL and, while I was there, they were loading their cargo trailer for a gunshow in East St. Louis this weekend. They have Unique, 2400, B'eye, and several of the ReLoader grades in stock along with many of the Hodgen and Accurate numbers.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy

2400 has been on the shelf here for about a month now
    Last edited by NC_JEFF; 03-11-2016 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    I believe 2400 comes from the Radford Army Ammunition Plant. ATK is one of the tenants. I suspect 2400 is one of many powders competing for the same workspace. 2400 seems to be extruded stick and the trend is toward spherical powders which started as a way to reprocess surplus powders. I doubt they will add capacity to older processes.

After 3 years not seeing 2400 I switched to Accurate #9 (4"&6" 44Mag) which is now a spherical powder. This batch is a little hotter/faster than my last batch of 2400 (which was slow). Accurate's 5744 would be a good candidate to replace 2400, it's an extruded stick, almost always available, but at $240 an 8 lb jug. Just a mater of money.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I just checked my reloading room and there is Quite a bit out there....
    Havent really looked for it in stores since I have way more then I need at the moment.

Boolit Master
    Only way I ever got a 8lb jug of 2400 was at a local gun show. The dealer and I have had a long relationship and he mentioned he could give me a good deal on it. I asked him to put it on the side and would be back for it. Soon as he pulled it out someone asked for it. Said it was already sold. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him over the last 20 years. He went through about a 100 West German sig P6's in about 3 weeks. And got one of them too. No one in town sells reloading stuff so it's either gun show or bite the bullet and order it, that is if anyone has what I'm looking for. Frank

I bought a 1 pound jar almost 4 years ago and lost it in the bag with the sales receipt. That's how I know when I got it. That was the last of it I've seen since.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Perma-Banned

I found 8lbs online back in Sept of '15...that was the first that I had found since before Sandy Hook. My friend was at BassPro in Macon Ga, week before last and they had 2400, Power Pistol, HS-6, Bullseye, Lil Gun, and several others, on the shelf. I have not seen those powders in several years, either.

I had pick it up when I was seeing it in the store and just build up what I feel ok with.But like is stated that it is not that common. I know Alliant dose alot of mil ammo .So that takes up alot of the powders of there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I recently got some after a multi year wait. A Sportsman's Warehouse opened recently near me. Their powder stock was such that I hadn't seen in years. There is one in Roanoke. http://storelocator.sportsmanswareho...teStateProv=VA

Boolit Master
    Here in West Tn have seen 2400 in a while--as mentioned in an earlier post, I have been using AA9 -in the .41( the only handguns I have ) the two powders are very much alike

I know we want what we want --so good luck in your powder search

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast