Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Leading Testing

Leading Testing

Hey All, Have 3 alloys I want to see if they have any leading issues. Wanted to know how many of each I would need to fire before I could notice leading? is 5 an adequate sample? 10? Thanks!
    If you're 'gonna do it, do it right - Aim small, miss small - Don't Tread on Me

not sure how many shots. what kind of gun? I live by keystone lake, what bout you? and do you know any hog hunting areas?, I have been to lake Heyburn wma but no luck yet, lots of fresh sign last time though. nice to see another okie around.
    Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Shooting a 30 30 marlin. I have not seen any recently, unfortunately :/

Boolit Master
    Leading is not simply an alloy question. There is more involved. You need to do some reading. Pressure, powder, lube, velocity, etc. etc. All can contribute to leading, or not.

Every bit of information you seek is already on this website. Do a search or read some stickies.

I understand that alloy is not the only element of a leading discussion. I understand how it works, but am experimenting w my allow to see how little additions I can use to get little or no leading... so I have not seen on the site how many shots to test fire for such an experiment.

Just a simple air cooled, hunting alloy of 50/50, COWW/pure lead with a little tin added will lead after about 7-8 shots with a velocity of 1900 FPS while using good lube. Quench those from the mold or oven heat treat/quench and you'll get no leading. The bigger your test sample base, the more accurate your test results will be. I'd go with at least 20 rounds of each. Let us all know how your testing goes.

THanks Ill give it a go!

Well it was about a 8 to 1 lead tin bullet, leading after 2nd shot, after 5 it was way too full of lead to shoot anymore. That bullet shot fine w a unique load at about 1450 fps, not gonna work at 1800 w hodgens