Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Elk Hunting near AVON, MT

Boolit Buddy

Elk Hunting near AVON, MT

Have a chance to rifle hunt elk near AVON ,MT on private land for Nov. 2016'. Anyone have any history of elk/mule deer in district 293? I have elk hunted in MT for several years just not in this part of country.

Moderator Emeritus

I think it is one of the prettiest parts of the State. Open benches and some heavy timber areas. Elk are where you find them. I think it depends a lot on the size of the spread. 1000 acres seem huge in the East but gets pretty confining if you are restricted to hunting that here.
    Is there good watering holes in all weather? We have had a very mild winter which is usually followed but a fire season that the snow gets to put out. I might be hesitant about putting all my vacation into an early season bowhunt.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Private land is a big plus down there, as the elk tend to stay on private, or deep in the wilderness area until later in the season. Snow is a big plus. As Gianni says, 1000 acres ain't much around here. There are public lands close by. Bring a fishing rod, just in case! Can I go with you? ;o)
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

1,000 acres?
    that's under 2 sections, or about the size of a pretty decent hay field around here.

private ground usually holds some good animal numbers after a week or so of them being pressured on the public areas.
    I know a spot near here that a half mile walk would spook out about 200 deer if you wait until the second week of the hunt.
    before that you might see 3-4 does.

Boolit Grand Master
    Avon is just over the pass from me, and in an area that can have pretty dramatic weather that time of year. Bring your snowshoes.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Size of property about 20K+ acres. Private land seems easier to hunt due to limited pressure. We will be there second week of rifle season.

Boolit Mold
    Chambers I will be going to Avon, MT on an Elk hunt this fall the second week of rifle season on a ranch that seems might be the same one you hunted in 2016. How did you do in 2016?

Boolit Buddy
    MSL, replied in pm.