Thread: Hunter's bullet bag

Hunter's bullet bag

I made this bullet bag last weekend:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mishmash.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	163215
    It's made of buckskin from the last deer I got. The stitching is simulated sinew from Track of the Wolf. The leather cinch thong I had from some repair I did on a baseball glove years ago; it looks too uniform and therefore modern and out of place. My possibles bag is a bit of the same problem, it's machine- stitched (because it's a woman's purse) and it shows. Also I think it would look better with small seashells replacing the white beads. It's such a mish mash of old and new. But it's all I have so far. I need to get a powder horn at some point.

The design of the bullet bag came from the July/August 1980 issue of Muzzleloader magazine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huntersbulletbag.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	163218

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice, as long as it works for you that is the main thing. I personally don't get too caught up with "looking original" but I don't do any activities that require "correctness" so it's less of an issue for me.

Boolit Master
    Looks good, Rhode. That thong looks just like the leather boot lace I use to carry my capper and powder measure.

I'm not sure about period correctness, but one can usually spot too uniform of stitching. I find it difficult to engineer error into my products as I am a little bit of a perfectionist too. One thing to keep in mind is most folks are not going to notice unless they do leather work, collect quilts or otherwise sew something. I had made a couple bullet bags with flat bottoms. The one you made looks simple enough and effective to use, so I am sure someone made them that way. I like the idea you used leather from your own deer, that gives the project a personal cool factor you could never get from just buying one from someone else's trade blanket.
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 03-11-2016 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Further Details
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Thanks guys. Posting this gave me an idea about the possibles bag. I could maybe remove the stitching/border and hand stitch it. We'll see. Take care.

Boolit Mold

I like the boolit bag, I need to do one, I've got some scrap leather I bought from Hobby Lobby that should work, not as nice as my own deer hide but it should work.

Boolit Master
    duckey, I think you were also interested in doing one of these. They do work very well! Here's one I did with a "spout" from old piece of deer antler. The long strap is optional and a bag without it may even be handier. The plug is of hardwood.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    duckey, I think you were also interested in doing one of these. They do work very well! Here's one I did with a "spout" from old piece of deer antler. The long strap is optional and a bag without it may even be handier. The plug is of hardwood.
    I always make mine with a piece of antler, also. I have one I made from beaver tail, too.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Really nice! I wish I could have gotten that soft texture on my deer hide. Love the spout. Maybe this will be the year I get an antlered deer.