Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mold Whacker

Boolit Buddy
    I just use a piece of fir wrapped with Electric tape. It's about had it and I'm going to a hammer handle a friend was good enough to break for me. I don't know about just a couple of taps. I run extra lead over the top of each hole, seem's to eliminate some of the bullet's I used to get with a little hole in the base.

I was going to say, over in the valley we have a lot of white oak, bet that stuff would work pretty well.

Boolit Bub
    Not sure I could do the 4 holer by hand, but I may give it a try some time.

Le Loup Solitaire
    There are a number of hardwoods that will also do a good job as mold mallets/tappers. Oak-red or whilte, hickory, walnut, elm, maple, ash, lignum vitae(if you can find it) and sycamore. Pieces do not have to be round...square or close to it will do the job. 2 holers may need some more work, 4 and 6 cavs for sure. LLS

Boolit Master
    You can sometimes find those give away kiddie baseball bats at thrift stores for next to nothing. They are made of ash or birch and work well after shortening.
    EDG

I use the end of a old hatchet handle. About a foot long, wrap the thin part with tape and hit with the fat end. Have had it for over 30 years and should last me the rest of my life. For the most part I just use a gloved hand to cut the sprue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    Attachment 163312
    The ash tree that contributed the wood for these saw handles came from my back yard. It was ash borer killed.
    I didn't make the handles, just provided the wood. The saws were made by Adria Tools in Canada. http://adriatools.com/

Boolit Master
    I have an "All Purpose Ford Tool", aka a four pound baby sledge. I paid three bucks years ago for a spare handle. I use two molds to cast and regulate speed, so pushing sprue plates is a no go for me.

Boolit Man
    for less than $5.00 I ordered this along w/ a few other things to spread out the shipping costs per item

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3656/=11n5jl0

Impact-Resistant UHMW Polyethylene Rod, 1-1/2" Diameter, 1 ft. Length

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Friar_Tuck View Post
    Not sure I could do the 4 holer by hand, but I may give it a try some time.
    If you use sprue plate lube (some kind of very high temp oil, do a little searching) you can push the sprue plate open before the lead fully freezes. The lube prevents the dreaded lead smear.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Tuck: That's too nice to open moulds with, and especially when you can buy a new Hammer Handle for $3. I believe I would put that thumper in the door pocket of my car. I doubt you would hurt it much busting heads? Needs a Lanyard.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I guess I am cheap, I just use a little 12" wood stake to tap my plates
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

I started using a small plastic cap hammer a few years ago for a mould tapper.It works very good and is handy as all get out. I tried it after reading Steve Brooks recomendations on his mould website. Its a nice way to go I tap the spru open with it then hinge pin to open and drop bullet set mould on edge of paint pan to close hook the spru plate with inside edge of hammer head and close it . 2 light taps on mould mounting to insure blocks are fulley closed and refill.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Used a piece of shovel handle for years, then bought one of Duke's tappers,(the cause was dear to my soul due to my sons death), I don't use the handle much any more now!! Liked it so good, bought one also for a local caster too! On the double cavities, I just time the cut of the sprue plate just right and cut using my hand pressure, then tap mold to release boolit.All other molds are Lee six cavities so only tapping is to release boolits from mold. I guess whatever is familiar to you is what you use! Just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    ...All other molds are Lee six cavities so only tapping is to release boolits from mold...
    +1
    Lee's work well for me with a few adjustments
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I've got a small nylon ended hammer I've used since my old chair strut eventually failed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    Attachment 163312
    The ash tree that contributed the wood for these saw handles came from my back yard. It was ash borer killed.
    JWT, your saws look sad, they want to be used!

I have just one of his little dovetail saws, cuts as good as it looks.

Thumbs up I'm going to a hammer handle a friend was good enough to break for me.

This works for me=Broken Hickory handle from a 4# Ball peen hammer works fine..Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

Boolit Master
    I just use some scrap 2x2's or something of similar diameter for the first couple of hits. Once the mold and sprue plat are warmed up I just use my hand and a thick glove.
    I find it easier and quicker to just use my hand. Additionally you aren't beating on your sprue plate.

Boolit Mold
    Ash is a beautiful wood. The Mrs. has a rolling pin that my dad made for her as a wedding present. Not sure what he was thinking, but we just had our 33rd anniversary and she hasn't used it on me yet...She does make great Christmas cookies with it. My mold mallet is a piece of a broken pool stick that I found in an alley behind a bar in Golden Colorado. I wish it could talk.

Boolit Master
    Sad to say but ash also makes the very best fire wood. There is even a poem about it, I don't remember the words.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast