Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press

Introducing the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press

OK guys I have been working on this tool for the last 2 1/2 months and finally have my prototype complete.

I have tested it a bunch and the results are that it is superior to the Lee Hand press in all but one way. It isn't going to be as cheap as the Lee Press.

However it will appeal to those who like nicer equipment and it has the big advantage of not needing 3 hands to operate.

It can be easily clamped to a table top, which makes any part of the reloading process other than F/L sizing much easier.

To Full Length Size a cartridge case you would use the tool like a "Thigh Master" or against your chest so you can have both arms opposing each other while you push them together. I have tested the amount of force required to F/L size a .30-06 case and it is "slightly less" than the Lee Press requires, so there is an improvement there. As stated above the press can be easily clamped to a table top or it will free stand so all other functions in the reloading cycle are much easier to do.

The Stroke is 3.750 so it will load just about anything.

Sizing cases like the .308 in the pics is a piece o cake!

Spent Primers are caught in a plastic tube under the Ram so they don't go everywhere. Easily emptied. See C&H 444 press.

Priming would be done with a Ram Prime Die of some type. I have a Lyman which required a driver inserted into the shell holder.

Shell holder is a C&H Universal H Ram, and thus the Press uses standard Shell Holders for all functions.

Seating bullets in a charged case is done with the press sitting on a table or held free hand, but only one hand is needed to operate the handle so the other can be used to hold the bullet in place as the ram is raised. It is easiest to use while sitting on a table.

The tool is far superior to the Lee Tool in every way except price. I have not finalized that yet as I haven't gotten the entire production cycle sussed out, but it is not going to be cheap. However it will be less than the older Huntington Compact Press. There is a lot of money in those machined parts and the hardware needed to connect them together. However this tool will easily last a lifetime and having a tool made from machined aluminum and quality steels should appeal to quite a few buyers. Guide Rods are O1 Drill Rod, and all Aluminum is 6061 and black anodized with specialized options available at extra cost.

I assure you it works "bitchin'!!!"

Sinclair has also shown an interest in carrying the tool, so hopefully it will get picked up as they have nothing like it currently.

There will be some small differences in the production runs as I intend to use Stainless Steel for the Links for cosmetic reasons and there will be the BPM logo burned into the top plate so you'll know who made it and where. Made in USA!

So anyway here it is and I hope you enjoy it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice.

Banned

I like it. Put me on the buy list. My only concern is that it gets to the top/bottom before fingers compress against die holder/case holder.

Boolit Master
    I want one! Put me down! Price?

wow!

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    That reminds me of a Huntington hand press that I have.

May Liberty Increase!
    Randy, put me in for one as well.

I share jmort's concern for my fingers, particularly if doing shorter pistol cases.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Nice job.......
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Banned

Great move, in my opinion, as Huntington's quit selling their unit.

Boolit Master
    Like a thigh master?... what if you got ur junk caught up in that contraption!?!

Boolit Master
    "...Like a thigh master?... what if you got ur junk caught up in that contraption!?!"

...Can't print my first response as this is a family-oriented site...Just hafta pay attention to what we're doin'??

Gotta go squeegee the remains of my beverage offa my screen...

Boolit Master
    Very nice. The bees knees.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I like it a lot but with the thigh master part, my wife would kill me if I bought her one.

Good looking machine, machined from aluminum bar stock?

Boolit Master
    Nice looking machine. Craftsmanship shows. What's your rollout timeline and pricing look like?

Frosted Boolits

Very nice! What are the bushings on the shell holder plate made of (that contact your O1 guide rods)?
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

OK to answer some of the questions.

First when you are pushing the handles together you are doing it with your palms. I assure you that you will only have closed hands one time.

There are no bushings in the ram. It is a perfect strait line motion with no side loads whatsoever so the holes have .002 clearance and with any lubrication should last indefinitely.

I am trying to keep the price below what Huntington was asking at the end.

Keep in mind that what you are seeing is Prototype #1 I have 3 more made but not assembled that are waiting on some parts.

I have lots of work to do on the final product before it is ready for release which has to include some more cosmetics, instructions and packaging and laser work, none of which is free.

I have to put out the drawings for bid to my shop that does most of my production machine work and see what they will change me for the parts. Everything is made from Bar Stock and designed to be as simple to machine as possible, but still there is a lot of work in each of these.

I have to assemble everyone also which is not just bing, bang, boom. This is a precision device and unless it is assembled a certain way it won't work right. I can't have that, as one set of parts has to make one complete machine, there aren't any extras or do overs. A lot of thought went into the design and many changes have been made in the building of the first set of tools. Luckily I made changes to the drawings along the way so they are up to date with what you see. What you see here is virtually what the production units will look like other than Stainless Links and my Logo burned into the top plate. Each one will have a serial number as well.

So once I get it together to do a run of say 25 I will know the price and at that time maybe we can look at doing a group buy type of thing for the people here who are interested.

And I thank everyone so far that has voiced interest in my product.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

Looks good. Keep us posted.

Very nice ! I'm interested .

Boolit Buddy
    Good job. Best of luck with your marketing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done. Interested in pricing.

Boolit Master

Excellent craftsmanship
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast