WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hardness Testing Tool

Boolit Bub

Lee Hardness Testing Tool

I have the Lee Hardness Testing Kit but am having a terrible time trying to hold both or either the microscope and or the sample boolit. It is like trying to stick a wet noodle up a wild cat's behind. Ugh!
    Has anyone devised an effective holding device to be able to operate this little gem? Lighting seems to also be important. I'll bet someone has built a holding jig. Any help is appreciated.
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Cut the top off a clear plastic bottle. Make a hole in the cap to hold the microscope.
    The clear plastic allows for light to pass through, though I use a small flashlight to help.
    Depending on the sample I most of the time just lay on the v holder supplied.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie17 View Post
    Cut the top off a clear plastic bottle. Make a hole in the cap to hold the microscope.
    The clear plastic allows for light to pass through, though I use a small flashlight to help.
    Depending on the sample I most of the time just lay on the v holder supplied.
    Have you got a picture? I can't picture it.
    Thanks
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	163051
    Here you go.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a picture but...cut the top off of a 20oz pop bottle. put scope through the lid...it makes a scope holder that can be placed over the lead sample for reading. Cud a wedge out of the side for lighting. I just use a penlight flashlight.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I use a shell holder to support the boolitz pointy end when pressing the ball into The Base, then the shell holder holds the boolit nicely for viewing with a water bottle top holding the scope.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Bub
    Now it makes sense.
    Thanks
    John

Boolit Buddy

Not a holder answer but...
    I have a printer that works as a copier and enlarges..
    I slice off the side of the bullet with a sharp chisel and test.
    I put the bullets on the copy glass and enlarge 400% and measure the copy with calipers...
    Lots easier and frustration factor is reduced...
    Is this method as accurate ??? works well enough for me and appears repeatable...
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Master
    I use the cut off top of a water bottle and a flash light works well and the scope stays dead still while looking to measure.

Boolit Master

This is how I use the tester, in my shop no additional lighting is needed. Picka shell holder to press the boolit against the ball then simply use it as the stand to hold the boolit fer the testing.

PS: drill the hole threw the top with your Unibit leaving the gasket in place , just go threw the steps on the on the bit until the scope just fits and the gasket hole cuts smaller making a nice holder.

Attachment 163079
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!

Check out YouTube for another option. I believe there is a video of someone that made a support that includes a small light.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

I have used two methods with mine. First, my 'scope fits nicely in a 45 ACP sizing die. I used it in my single stage press; a strong light, 'scope in the die, bullet on the V shaped holder in the ram. But the method I use most is I have a magnifying visor (I believe it's 4x) and a dial caliper. With a strong light I can measure the dent with my calipers and use Lee's data to find hardness. Normally I'll do at least three tests on three different bullets. My comparisons of the two (scope vs caliper) are pretty consistent...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-09-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have used two methods with mine. First, my 'scope fits nicely in a 45 ACP sizing die. I used it in my single stage press; a strong light, 'scope in the die, bullet on the V shaped holder in the ram. But the method I use most is I have a magnifying visor (I believe it's 4x) and a dial caliper. With a strong light I can measure the dent with my calipers and use Lee's data to find hardness. Normally I'll do at least three tests on three different bullets. My comparisons of the two (scope vs caliper) are pretty consistent...
    The Dial caliper and magnifying light are a great Idea and system of double checking or getting a backup reading. I am going to give this method a real good test. I have several Boolitz with dimples from testing to have a look at.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Or invest in a CabineTree hardness tester. I bought one a few years ago and never use the hard-to-use Lee tester any longer. I fiddled with holders and lights, but gave up on that dark path. And if you wear glasses, peeping thru that teeny microscope is very difficult, at least for me.

Fast & easy & accurate is nice! Check it out.

In Remembrance
    If you just want to know that alloy A and alloy C are the same hardness, and alloy B is harder (or softer) the Cabine Tree tester will do it easily.
    You only need to fiddle with the Lee tool if you want to know the actual Brinell Hardness Number.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    If you just want to know that alloy A and alloy C are the same hardness, and alloy B is harder (or softer) the Cabine Tree tester will do it easily.
    You only need to fiddle with the Lee tool if you want to know the actual Brinell Hardness Number.
    There are sooooooo many variables (mechanical, optical, and physical) with the Lee tester. The Cabine gives you a number. Period. End of story. It is directly related to a look-up chart that is dead-on for Bhn. You still have to look up the answer on a chart with the Lee toy.

I have checked both against my NIST standards and a REAL hardness tester in my shop and both are acccurate enough for the toys we make. Cabine is just faster and MUCH easer to use.....in the shop and at the scrap yard. Try that one with your Lee thingy!

bangerjim

The only issue the Lee Tool has is the holding of the Optical Comparator. There are several options pictured above. Also several guys here have made small holders that have a cradle built in that holds the OC and boolit in the same relationship for easy measuring.

I always use my Big Optical Comparator in my shop to actually measure the dimple as I can measure it to a Ten Thousandth of an Inch .0001 and by interpolating the Lee chart actually deduce Bhn to .1 unit.

The Lee Penetrator is the best tool for doing this particular operation available to the hobbyist. It can be made to repeat exactly everytime.

If you set up your Reloading press so that the penetrator is to it's correct place in the die body when the press goes over center, you don't have to hold it in position for the required 30 seconds. The press just stays there. and this insures that you get repeatable results in your testing. If you can't get the same Readings 3 times in a row you haven't gotten a valid test. With this system you can easily do this right everytime.

The little optical comparator Lee provides is not new or peculiar to the Lee Hardness Tester. I had had one for 20 years before I ever bought a Lee Hardness Tester. It is a common Machinist tool from the 50's and 60's. The kicker is holding it steady enough to be able to interpolate the .002 scale.

The plastic bottle holder works just fine for this, and it costs you exactly nothing,,, Err maybe .05?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    The bottom line is you get what you pay for. You can either sit at the kids table with your Lee or move up to the grown up table with your Cabine Tree. Either will get the job done. I guess it depends on how much time you wish to use playing with your hardness tester. Spend say 10 seconds using the Cabine Tree or several minutes with the Lee after of course you find your reading glasses. I used both and will never pick up the Lee again. To each his own.

This is how I have my Lee set up to read it.you can adjust it the way you want and simple to make.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0125[1].JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	164393
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    I use a shell holder to support the boolitz pointy end when pressing the ball into The Base, then the shell holder holds the boolit nicely for viewing with a water bottle top holding the scope.

Ken
    Don't the Lee directions recommend against using the base as it was the last portion to solidify and may thus
    not be indicative of the true boolet hardness?
    Respectfully,
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast