Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Now possible to reload .22 LR easily

Boolit Master
    Well back to the big question. Has anyone really done it and successfully reloaded some .22 LR cartridges using their kit yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Well back to the big question. Has anyone really done it and successfully reloaded some .22 LR cartridges using their kit yet?
    Yes I have.

Boolit Master
    Corrosive or non-corrosive? I wonder if that would be of interest to the prospective user? Since I think it is, I wonder what other points of interest they accidentally forgot to mention?

BiS, that primer compound appears to be a close copy of the old H-48 mixture used for the U.S. Army's .30-40 Krag - YES, it would be corrosive.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...ixtures.58110/
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

...says a quick prayer to the patron Saint of Rimfire and directed to the good people @ CCI in Lewiston, ID:

We humbly ask for vast, copious quantities of non-corrosive, reliable rimfire ammo, with supply lines and store shelves filled to overflowing.

Many thanks!

A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate it and I am sure others do too.

Boolit Master
    GONRA is a primer nut so appreciates everybodies efforts in this area.
    BUT - cannot BELIEVE anyone wants to load QUANTITIES of
    CORROSIVE PRIMED .22 RF ammo in this day and age.
    You guys must be really good at cleaning "corrosive" bores!

WOT am I missng? ???

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA is a primer nut so appreciates everybodies efforts in this area.
    BUT - cannot BELIEVE anyone wants to load QUANTITIES of
    CORROSIVE PRIMED .22 RF ammo in this day and age.
    You guys must be really good at cleaning "corrosive" bores!

WOT am I missng? ???
    I would like to hear the answer to that myself.
    If you are looking at a SHTF scenario, just stock up on your ammo and put it in GI ammo cans. You really won't be using a lot of 22LR to practice with under those circumstances. Just putting food on the table.

Boolit Master

What the buyers of that kit are missing is important information that the sellers are "suspiciously" leaving out, things like the corrosive nature of the priming, the ACTUAL amount of time and effort involved instead of the "implied", even if not outright claimed, "quick, cheap and easy". I suppose you "CAN" load 22 RF rounds with this thing just as you "CAN" drive a nail with a rock but is it a good idea? If they would drop the used car salesman sales tactics and just plain BS (the match heads for instance), and explain seriously about what is involved instead of all the glowing hype obviously designed more so to lure buyers than factually explain this kit then the buyer would less likely be disappointed. But I suppose if they did that they wouldn't sell many kits!

I can't help it, when I see an outfit being dishonest, or even flat out lying (the match heads), then I would like to see others warned about them. I am not telling anyone not to buy this kit and I'm not saying it probably won't work, although I would have serious doubts about the practicality of any volume loading, but what I am doing is asking people who might be thinking of sending these guys their money to stop and THINK about what they are really buying! Think about what's really involved and forget about this thing being an answer to the ammo shortage, that's the implied sales pitch but all things considered is it a viable answer to that problem or simply an outfit trying to play on peoples' fears?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    While not as many places carry true stike anywhere matches, they are still relatively easy to obtain. http://www.cabelas.com/product/UCO-S...4352646&rid=20
    Last edited by lup; 03-20-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Penny wise and pound foolish.

Boolit Master

if this stuff works, it would be nice for the old 25, 28, 38, and 40 etc cal rimfires or maybe the Wanzel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lup View Post
    While not as many places carry true stike anywhere matches, they are still relatively easy to obtain. http://www.cabelas.com/product/UCO-S...4352646&rid=20

NO they are NOT! Those things are useless, they are a gimmick and while they will strike (sometimes anyway) on objects other than the box they are NOT like the old strike anywhere matches that have been out of production for several years now due to Federal Regulations. Those things there and the other junk sold today for strike anywhere are NOT practical for primers and those guys full well know it!!!!

This has been covered before but this link sums it up pretty good, this is what that site has to say about the very matches those crooks have pictured on their site with the caption "economical",

"Tried to buy “Strike Anywhere Matches” lately? Please, don’t even bring up the new Diamond Green Tip Strike Anywhere Matches. They are the match equivalent of a neutered animal. It looks the same but it just doesn’t work the same"

http://kissurvival.com/strike-anywhere-matches/

Those same worthless Diamond Green Tips are what is shown on the 22 reloader site and they simply won't work! What passes for strike anywhere these days only have a thin coating, sort of like painted on, of the ignitor material instead of the solid chunk at the tip like they once had. Even IF you can manage to scrape off enough of that material to use for priming, and that's a big IF, it would be ridiculously costly due to the number of matches that would be required and what they cost.

So called "strike anywhere matches" can be found but they are a bad joke and only a pale shadow of what they once were, the real ones that would work were gone from the market long before that kit came out!

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. The layers of lies grow deeper. I though that the matches were still available. Beat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    if this stuff works, it would be nice for the old 25, 28, 38, and 40 etc cal rimfires or maybe the Wanzel
    It could make sense for calibers like that where there simply are none to be found and loading a small number would be worth the effort but where would you get the cases to reload?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lup View Post
    Wow. The layers of lies grow deeper. I though that the matches were still available. Beat.

Even the match companies are playing the con game!

Ohio Blue Tip was well known as the very best matches on the market with a huge glop of the good material on the tip but they were one of the first to close up shop and no longer exist, at least the real ones. Diamond bought the "Ohio Blue Tip" trademark and in obvious attempt to capitalize on the name now market a phony "Ohio Blue Tip", these APPEAR to have that generous glop of material on the tip but it's fake and is just a coloring. So why would they do that? There could be no other reason than to try and trick people into thinking they were getting the matches of old when they are not!

What I have been watching these threads hoping to see, I have yet to actually see.

That is someone who actually bought the kit, followed instructions to the T, made ammo that actually shoots every time, and posts exactly how many of those he could make in an hour.

From the little I have seen, they look slow, and corrosive primers pretty much makes them a no go if you have anything else at all that works.

If I wanted corrosive primers I have the materials required to keep me in centerfire primers for a long long long time. That might have put me on "the List" but life is a gamble.

Take a common easy to find caliber like .223 and as long as you are not fussy about it cycling the action on a semi auto rifle it can easily be loaded to very similar levels as .22lr with soft lead, no gas checks, very little noise, good accuracy, and more knock down than a .22lr. As long as you have primers and powder to load them. 3-5 grains of Red Dot under a 55 grain bator cast boolit will do as well or better than most 22 rifles. Easier to load, faster, just as accurate, more power. Just have to restrain that "need for speed".

I think you would be money ahead and better off long term to stock up on primers and components and forget reloading .22lr.

Just my opinion. And you have the right to think it stinks.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I think you would be money ahead and better off long term to stock up on primers and components and forget reloading .22lr.
    Words of wisdom unless one has access to new primed empty cases - then spends $120 for a 2X cavity UMC Match custom David Mos mold and a CH4D 22LR bullet seater and has a 225 Lyman H&I sizing die. Then with BP or smokeless one can reload a box of 50 in under 20 minutes using a Lyman No 5 powder charger

Reloads for my 1887 JM Marlin Ballard & Stevens 44 1/2 ... 0.989" COL for current make lever actions
    Reloads chronograph at 1240 fps and are very accurate at 50 & 100yds

Last edited by John Boy; 03-20-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    What I have been watching these threads hoping to see, I have yet to actually see.

That is someone who actually bought the kit, followed instructions to the T, made ammo that actually shoots every time, and posts exactly how many of those he could make in an hour.

As long as this kit has been around, several years now, it seems kind of strange that no one seems to have much good to say about them. About the best I have seen is that they work ok and would probably do for a SHTF situation. Considering the frustration of trying to obtain 22 ammo and the lengths (and expense!) that some folks are going to get it then why has this kit not caught on? It has been around for several years and yet no one it seems is raving about it, if it was even a mediocre solution to the 22 ammo problem it almost certainly would be very popular by now, it's obviously not so why not?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast