Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uncle Dino's Swaged slug report

For what it's worth, I found that using a faster powder (Vectan AS, similar to Red-/Green Dot) made crimping quality (or the lack of it) much less of an issue. More reliable ignition and uniform velocity compared to the slower powders. Also, an x12X seal over the powder works wonders on ignition, but you probably knew that already.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Yes the x12x is the perfect seal - Zero blowby. I do have 800x, Longshot, Green Dot. Gotta do some homework though. I am inclined toward 800x as I got good results with the full bore "zlugs" with that powder.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

105yds! Thats fantastic.

(and serves to remind me every time I see this post updated that i have been lax (*) about testing mine).

(*) not lax, really, just busy. But I still feel guilty. it'll happen though!

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

HT,

Nice work! I have the same roll crimp trouble, I need to invest in a real shell vise to improve my roll crimps.

BB

Boolit Master
    HT, in a word, WOW.

HT. Nice.. Seems stiff wad column and good crimp are the ticket...which I am finding is true for many of different slugs I have been firing. Including the zlug. I'm really liking lil gun with these slugs. I believe it's real close to steel on burn rate chart. Will have a nice hollow point model of this slug soon. Still testing. Turn some of that penetration energy into expansion. D

Boolit Master

I think all this slug testing is causing earthquakes on the other side of the world! I look at that picture and feel pretty good, except 2 of 6 missed a 2' x 2' box. Now I have been known to flinch a little from time to time but not quite that much. Wish the trigger was a little lighter on that USH too. BTW, the good advice I got here regarding the light primer strikes cured that problem. A little light work on the hammer with a file was magic. Thanks to all.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

h&r trigger job

HT,

These directions will help you get the trigger you want on your USH. If you do a trigger job replace the hammer spring with a Wolff extra power hammer spring. These are good instructions and you will need to make and use the slave pin unless you want to drive yourself nuts trying to put the internals back in the right spots.

BB