Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: .43 spanish

Boolit Man

.43 spanish

Scored on some 43 spanish cartridges this morning at a small gun show. 18 rounds for 20 dollars. Are these shootable or should I break them down and reload them? First time in forever I made a good score at a show. John

I would break them down.....can't ever be too sure of what you have.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master
    Without seeing them, I have to vote with the break them down option.

If the cases are at all useable, you did not waste your money.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Are they reloads - originals or don't you know? A picture of the whole round and the case head stamp would help. Original rounds go for about $5 per
    Regards
    John

Boolit Man
    They are originals. I can't post pictures because my camera isn' t working right now. Head stamps are hard to read. Here are some of the ones I can read. PMH86 SA12 83 SA 17 86. They are worn off pretty badly. The bullett is alead round nose. I haven' t miked one yet so I don't know diameter yet. The cases are in pretty good shape ,no tarnish or bad spots. Hope this helps. John.... thanks for the help.

I just learned how to form them from 7mm and 300 win mag . I wouldn't use old originals if I could help it.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    From The headstamp They are spanish Military Dated 1883-1887. I only shoot original brass. All are Berdan primes ( Large) .254. Or 6.45 mm. . You can break them Down . save the Boolit Dump the powder. . Some of the Primer are still shootable But Corrosive. . Most times primer are Ng.. If you can Locate Primer they will work fine. I always fine large Berdans @ gun shows.

I am currently Doing Them In 11x59 R French Gras
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

wild thing - if it were me, I'd save the originals or put them up for sale. Too much trouble to quickly put reloads in the rifle & have brass that can easily be reloaded again. Buy these good Jamison brass from Buffalo Arms ... https://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1090402
    Then buy the reloading components detailed at this Track of the Wolf article ... https://www.trackofthewolf.com/categ...ASE-43-SPANISH

I have a pristine RRB in 43 Spanish and lucked out buying 50 Connecticut Cartridge Co empty cases for $1.50 each that use Boxer LR primers. Then cast 370gr bullets and loaded with BP using Lee dies. The 43 Spanish caliber is akin to the the accurate 44-77 caliber and so will be the 43 Spanish reloads. Enjoy your rifle!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    I have several old 19th century military rifles, one of which is a Dutch Beaumont .43. I found some original cartridges and thought I would shoot a few for brass to reload, but two of the primers didn't fire and the third fizzled and the rifle sputter fired - scared the bejeebers out of me. The others I broke down and reloaded with a new primer and fresh powder - they shoot just fine. My advise is to break them down and keep a few for souvenirs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wild thing View Post
    They are originals. I can't post pictures because my camera isn' t working right now. Head stamps are hard to read. Here are some of the ones I can read. PMH86 SA12 83 SA 17 86. They are worn off pretty badly. The bullett is alead round nose. I haven' t miked one yet so I don't know diameter yet. The cases are in pretty good shape ,no tarnish or bad spots. Hope this helps. John.... thanks for the help.
    I believe Salpal is right about these being Spanish and Berdan primed, which is a nuisance but not an insuperable one. But although the big influx of Spanish Remingtons came fairly late on the US market, it was loaded there, and other rounds may be Boxer primed.

Winchester catalogued the cartridge and primed brass in 1899, although the primer isn't specified, and describe it as adapted to Sharps, Remington, Peabody, Whitney and other rifles. It was about as good as long-range black powder cartridges get, and was James Paris Lee's cartridge in the black powder days, when he had the choice.

There is a good chance that these cartridges will fire, and black powder gives as good ballistics as ever, if there hasn't been water ingress. There is a lot to be said, though, for saving cartridges which have some collector value (though not as much as if they were boxed), and find some Bertram, Jamieson or similar brass to make your own. Brass that age very often does crack in the neck quite quickly, and you could easily find you are using them up for two or three shots at most.

Boolit Man
    Alright guys. Thanks for the information. Guess I will just keep them and pick up some new brass. I figured I could save some money and reload these. That's the way it goes. John Boy ,I got the barrel from you about a year ago. John

John Boy ,I got the barrel from you about a year ago.
    John - if you say so but I never had an extra 43 Spanish barrel to sell. Anyway, hope the bore on it is in good shape
    And when you buy the brass- be sure they are Jamison because Bertram brass has a reputation of being junk quality - and agree. Tried a couple of calibers from them and long split cases on first shooting
    Regards
    John

I have had good results with the Bertram .43 Spanish brass I have. I did not buy it, it came with the rifle when I bought it a few years back. Most cases are on their third and fourth reload and I have only lost a couple due to splits/cracks at the case mouth that were a result of my compression die catching the mouth and mangling the brass.

That said, I have heard from a few others' experience that the Bertram brass is hit or miss; it either is good or junk. I guess, when you are paying a premium on brass you expect premium quality. You shouldn't have to worry if you are getting the "good" batch or a lemon. I have no personal experience with Jamison brass.

Boolit Bub
    Of all the old guns I reload for, the .43 Spanish seems to be the most persnickety. After I get through reloading, I find that half of them won't chamber all the way in without excessive force - which I don't like to do. I use both Bertram and Jamison brass and seems like the Bertram are the worst offenders and they cost the most money. Any body else seem to run into this problem?

Boolit Mold
    Midway just took on a line of odd brass, and I got a bag of 20 in the mail today in 43 Spanish. Looks like good stuff. One point not mentioned above is that most, if not all, of the original cases are balloon (folded) head construction. Also, brass will age harden and get brittle. Buy new brass. You don't need a face full of powder gas and brass chips, not to mention maybe wrecking a fine old rifle. Be Safe.