Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 358 Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by bucklind2 View Post
    You can usually find a short action Savage that isn't that expensive for a donor. Last year I bought a Shaw barrel kit in 358 Winchester for 169.00 and it included the barrel wrench and gauges. I installed it on a long action Stevens 200 and because it is a center feed have had no feeding issues at all. Bought a Boyd's stock and added a Vortex Crossfire scope with Warne QD's rings. Here is a picture of the finished project.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    That is a great looking rig there. Enjoy!

Yep the Savage (Stevens) is a good platform to start with. As on this very forum is the one I had done with a Savage (Stevens) Short Action. I got lucky and caught the Stevens on sale for $179.00 at the time. Then of course the Boyd's stock and the E.R.Shaw barrel cut down to 20". Very nice shooter.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    I bought an Axis heavy barrel 308 a few months ago when Savage was offering rebates, now I'm thinking it may need a rebore after reading this thread. I have plenty of 308 brass and 4 molds that drop at .358..........

Quote Originally Posted by barney67 View Post
    I bought an Axis heavy barrel 308 a few months ago when Savage was offering rebates, now I'm thinking it may need a rebore after reading this thread. I have plenty of 308 brass and 4 molds that drop at .358..........
    That's what I would do. If you buy a barrel kit from MidwayUSA get a new barrel nut as well. Take it to your local smith and have him take the old barrel off and remove the old nut completely off the barrel. Then you can switch it between the two at your own convenience. It comes with the wrench and gauges.

Boolit Bub
    That's what I would do. If you buy a barrel kit from MidwayUSA get a new barrel nut as well. Take it to your local smith and have him take the old barrel off and remove the old nut completely off the barrel. Then you can switch it between the two at your own convenience. It comes with the wrench and gauges.

Midway's out of them at the moment, I'm on the notify list though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have heard of Savage barrels having the nut tack welded to the underside of the barrel so that the barrels become a screw in / out easy swap proposition, but I have never struck anyone who has done this.

Any experiences here?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I have heard of Savage barrels having the nut tack welded to the underside of the barrel so that the barrels become a screw in / out easy swap proposition, but I have never struck anyone who has done this.

Any experiences here?
    They are not welded at all. Here is a picture of the one that I removed a 270 barrel and replaced it with a 358 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post

Any experiences here?
    You can buy barrel kits from MidwayUSA.

I have a G33/40 action I would to make into a 358 win ,is this possible?
    OldArkie

Quote Originally Posted by oldarkie View Post
    I have a G33/40 action I would to make into a 358 win ,is this possible?
    I would think it's possible. I am not a gunsmith, I like the Stevens and Savages because I can work on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They are not welded at all. Here is a picture of the one that I removed a 270 barrel and replaced it with a 358 Winchester.

I realise that they are not welded on, but I have heard about owners doing this and each barrel having it's own nut fixed in place, allowing the barrel to be just screwed in / out without guages, checking, etc. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this 'mod.'
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Just got an email from Starline. They are offering 358 and 444 marlin brass for sale. Other were listed as well. Frank

OldArky- if it's just a g33/40 action go for it. If it's an original carbine complete don't you dare. Four fingers the welded nut sounds like a capital idea. Best, Thomas.

LOL. Thanks tex I found this action stuck in a wall in a project in KC in the 70s,no stock and a 10 inch barrel.
    OldArkie

Quote Originally Posted by oldarkie View Post
    LOL. Thanks tex I found this action stuck in a wall in a project in KC in the 70s,no stock and a 10 inch barrel.
    Well then that sounds great. That's a desirable action; it should be great for a custom rifle. Good luck. Now get started lol. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Mold
    A gunsmith told me in the early 60's that Winchester couldn't sell the model 70 Featherweights in .358 Win and would take dealer's un-sold inventory back and re-barrel them to .243's. I agree with the previous post(s) about the Browning BLR. About as slick an action as you could ask for. The Ruger 77's in .358 are great to. The .338 Federal should be a very versatile round based on the .308 case. Not sure how they are selling. It's kind of strange what the market will embrace (.243, 7mm08 but not .260 Remington) Some of it is bad marketing (.244 Remington vs .243 Winchester, .280 Remington vs .270 Win.) Now days with all of the interest (not me) in black semi-autos it is hard to bring out a new cartridge and hope that it sells. I can't figure out Nosler bringing out all of these new mags that are just in the performance range of existing stuff, the Weatherby's, Ultra mags. The 8mm Rem mag was a good enough round but it is harder to find loaded ammo and new cases. I would really have to think hard about buying a new rifle in one of their new offerings because I think that they are destined to fail on the market. If I needed a new mag in this range it would probably be a Weatherby. Most of their cartridges have been around since the '40's, the .378 case came out for sale in the mid '50's. Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Well, the published case capacity is 39gr (H2O) vs. the .358Win @ 57gr (+49%).

So I guess that it can have .358Win performance in the same way that the .35 Rem can have .35 Whelen (+39%) performance ?

Edit: I don't mean to disparage that cartridge - it looks like a very attractive adaptation with my favorite caliber (.358"). Just that it's difficult to interject magic into relatively fixed case volumes.
    Also wondering if it could be a great subsonic/suppressed candidate with 180gr XTP's ...
    Thomas also.....

I missed this notification of a post.

Sorry, my fault for not being clear, but my comparison of the 358 MGP to the 358 Win is based on the data on the Hogdon reloading site. The 358 Win data is using a 26 inch barreled bolt gun. This little 16 inch AR-15 carbine is running within 100 fps of the 358 Win. I figured you guys have been reloading long enough to understand that, a 10 inch shorter barrel is running at 2400 fps with a 200. What I did not say was that the 180 is at 2600 fps and the 225 is at 2200 fps. Look at the numbers again. Most folks figure an inch of barrel is good for 50 fps, lets say 25, that would still be good for 250 fps. So this little 358 is running with the 358 Win. I carry this on my farm, you shoot an critter with it and that critter is DRT.

How it is done is with an adjustable gas block shut down to slow the bolt so that the bolt stays locked until the pressure drops, the action still functions but I do not have gas scraping and the use of only Federal brass which has the second highest capacity of the 6.8 brass also helps a bit. But the brass itself is necked up, blown out and the shoulder is moved forward. It appears its performance is somewhat like a 308 VS a 30-06.

Now we can push the 358 Win out past the Hodgdon data also, but I need a base line to compare to and I used the Hodgdon site data.

Started as an AR rimless 357 Super Mag project, turned into a rimless 357 Harrett project, first loads were produced with Harrett dies, then went to Mike's 358 MGP (his initials). Just talked to Mike today, he is working on a new 358 MGP Magnum, should have about a 42 gr usable capacity in the AR-15. Should be interesting. Oh, I have a 12 and a 20 twist gun with the 12 twist setup with a IR night sight and a can to shoot 250s sub sonic at night, on hogs at the farm.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

The .358 will substantially outperform the .358 MGP when loaded to the same high pressure due to the case capacity. I do see it being a cool cartridge, though. Best,Thomas.

Ok how in the world did a 358 Winchester thread turn into a 358 MGP Special thread?

I would think that if the 358 MGP is a great round for something than maybe it should have its own thread.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

JesterGrin1- let's do return to the .358 Win. I tried out a small game / plinking load of 6.6 grs Bullseye(.7cc Lee dipper) with the RCBS 200 gr Fpgc today and I'm still grinning. They are quiet,accurate, & fun. Best, Thomas.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast