RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 358 Winchester

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I'm unlikely to convert one (I have a 358Win barrel for my 7600 Remington), but if I did it would be a cast boolit rifle anyway.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Been researching an AR10 platform build in a 358 winchester. There is a company that already sells uppers for the AR10 in 358 winchester. I want a 358 winchester some day but one in that platform would be a hoot in hog country where you can get several shots at different targets.

Just a thought
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    There is a company that already sells uppers for the AR10 in 358 winchester.
    Now that would be a hoot!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

mine will extract and eject either case but some wont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    That's good to know, apart from the fact that they can handle it, the fact that in a pinch you could convert 308Win brass to get by is comforting. I can't imagine that 356 brass grows on trees. The BBs occasionally pop up for sale here, I can't say I have ever heard of a Marlin in 356, that would be a nice scrub buster with a low powered scope or ghost ring peep.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been gone for quite a while but am getting back into the cast bullet game. I like the .358 but they've taken a back seat to my .35 Whelen, at least for elk hunting.
    I had five rifles chambered to the .358 Win., two Ruger tang safety M77s, a BLR and a Savage 99. The fifth was somebody's idea of a custom that turned out to be a dog. Built on a milsurp M98 medium length action if was more bubba than anything and accuracy was nil. I gave up on it.
    On factory brass,Winchester makes it and ammo on a "seasonal" basis only and they decide on the season. I do have a fair supply so no worry there. I have made brass for Winchester .308 brass and it's worked just fine. I did have a decent load using AC223 IIRC, but I lost the data. On recoil, the BLR being the lightest of the four does kick somewhat harder but even with stout 250 gr. bullet loads is tolerable.
    I've picked up a few .35 caliber molds, a couple of RCBS #35-200-FNs and a 250 gr. RCBS mold #35-250-SP IIRC. hen I have some of the older Lyman molds including a 200 gr. hollow point that is a bear to get a decent cast from. Rummaging around in a gun shop's grab bag box I found a Lyman #3589 for $25. Turns out the shank for the gas check is a bit too small in diameter so the checks fall right off. A tiny dab of epoxy seems to take care of that problem.
    Now all I have to do is get on out to the shed and catch up on my casting. Not much fun out there when it's 110 in the shade. Right now we're in our monsoon season so it's not only hot but the humidity is high. Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Been researching an AR10 platform build in a 358 winchester. There is a company that already sells uppers for the AR10 in 358 winchester. I want a 358 winchester some day but one in that platform would be a hoot in hog country where you can get several shots at different targets.

Just a thought
    How about an AR-15 in a 358 Win.
    All you need is a lower and Mike will sell you a barrel or upper plus a set of dies. His 358 MGP is a 6.8 SPC necked up and blown out so it runs at 358 Win performance from a 16 inch barrel plus it uses modified 6.8 magazines. And the AR-15 does not weigh a ton like the AR-10. I own two of them and the 200 RCBS cast will run 2,400 fps and shoot .34 inches at 100. Everyone that has one loves it, it is lightning on deer, bear, hogs and yotes. This is the 358 MGP site. www.MGPcustoms.com

Thought best I add: Yes that is a recoil pad.....
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 358 MGP Custom New R.jpg   358 200 PC.JPG  
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    If you like a levergun with cast 35 cal bullets, then look at the 35/30-30. Brass is easy to get. Only needs a rebore and rechamber.

Boolit Master

Just a thought
    I was looking at exactly the same thing however I then found the 45 Raptor and I do have a nice new NOE 350gr HP .452 mold...

Boolit Master
    I keep thinking one of these (358 Win) in a lightweight Mannlicher stocked 20" carbine would be about perfect for Elk and Deer here in Idaho (as well as any wolf I run across) in the timber. That said, I have a 1908 Brazilian M98 with that length barrel and a Mannlicher stock sitting here in 9,3x62mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sur-shot View Post
    How about an AR-15 in a 358 Win.
    All you need is a lower and Mike will sell you a barrel or upper plus a set of dies. His 358 MGP is a 6.8 SPC necked up and blown out so it runs at 358 Win performance from a 16 inch barrel plus it uses modified 6.8 magazines. And the AR-15 does not weigh a ton like the AR-10. I own two of them and the 200 RCBS cast will run 2,400 fps and shoot .34 inches at 100. Everyone that has one loves it, it is lightning on deer, bear, hogs and yotes. This is the 358 MGP site. www.MGPcustoms.com

Thought best I add: Yes that is a recoil pad.....
    Ed
    .358 performance? From that little case? At what pressure? Not trolling just a little incredulous. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sur-shot View Post
    [...] His 358 MGP is a 6.8 SPC necked up and blown out so it runs at 358 Win performance from a 16 inch barrel plus it uses modified 6.8 magazines. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    .358 performance? From that little case? At what pressure? Not trolling just a little incredulous. Best, Thomas.
    Well, the published case capacity is 39gr (H2O) vs. the .358Win @ 57gr (+49%).

So I guess that it can have .358Win performance in the same way that the .35 Rem can have .35 Whelen (+39%) performance ?

Edit: I don't mean to disparage that cartridge - it looks like a very attractive adaptation with my favorite caliber (.358"). Just that it's difficult to interject magic into relatively fixed case volumes.
    Also wondering if it could be a great subsonic/suppressed candidate with 180gr XTP's ...
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 08-02-2016 at 04:31 PM.

If you want a less costly 358W or at least a cartridge that gives 358 balistics? Go to Simpson Ltd. and buy a modes 96 mauser in 9.3x57. NOE makes a great 280gr mould, Hornady makes dies, and you just neck up 8x57 brass. If you want lighter bullets batch up .358 bullets in whatever weight you want. You'll get the same ballistics without the pressure, and I guarantee that anything you shoot won't know squat cause they'll be dead. Brodie

I've got a 99 in.358 Win that does right well with the RCBS 200 gr flat point. That's this past years 9 ptr shot with it. Great fun and a superb Bullet. Especially like a 50/50 alloy mix of WW & Pb. Penetration was thru and thru at 75 yds at a muzzle velocity of ~1600 Fps. Don't pass on a Savage 99 in that caliber if you get the chance. I got this one from a neighbor who was moving and kept his .270 for KY deer, but didn't need his Savage elk rifle anymore. $600 and it was mine. Had to refinish the stock but it's a keeper now. And don't worry about the brass...I just run .308 through a .358 sizer with plenty of Imperial sizing wax on the inside of the neck. Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 08-04-2016 at 10:29 PM.

WOW another thread on the lowly minuscule 358 Winchester. After all of the beating that horse took I did not think anything was left to beat.

So I will not beat on it much as many here know I am a bit of a pain and a believer in the .358 cartridges along with Ben and many others.

So as has been noted many times the length of a barrel for a .358 Winchester does not need to exceed 20" in length to get everything done that needs done. Also due to the lack of case neck space of which will also reduce powder capacity I would probably not choose a bullet design over 250Gr. So really in this cartridge a 200 to 225Gr boolit will probably do anything that needs doing and will give good accuracy and help enable one to keep up the speed a bit if need be so to this end a 1-14 twist would be ideal.

As for a rifle for a kid. Although it might be expensive I think it would be darn hard to beat finding an old Remington MoHawk 600 in .243/6mm/308 and send it off to JESS for a re bore. Then you will have a short and handy rifle. But as most things this is up to the individuals own tastes.

Just an FYI as I am sure some might be wondering why I would say to re bore instead of simply replacing the barrel. There are two reasons really. The first is weight. Many companies that make .358 Winchester barrels will only make them in Magnum Contour of which by the ways is a darn heavy barrel. Such as E,R,Shaw. Do not get me wrong as I have one on a short action Savage that shoots fantastic. But again it is Heavy.

Another is that most likely you will probably save money by having Jess do the re bore and end up with a fine barrel that will need no work to fit the rifle it came on. And again it will be light.

The downside however is the barrel in reality will be thin so it is not a barrel to shoot over 3 rounds quickly at a bench as the accuracy will probably suffer badly. But it will be a fine carry hunting rifle.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 08-05-2016 at 03:48 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Vendor Sponsor

JES did my rebore from 7-08 to the 358 and I could not be happier with the accuracy ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Well, the published case capacity is 39gr (H2O) vs. the .358Win @ 57gr (+49%).

So I guess that it can have .358Win performance in the same way that the .35 Rem can have .35 Whelen (+39%) performance ?

Edit: I don't mean to disparage that cartridge - it looks like a very attractive adaptation with my favorite caliber (.358"). Just that it's difficult to interject magic into relatively fixed case volumes.
    Also wondering if it could be a great subsonic/suppressed candidate with 180gr XTP's ...
    Magic indeed. Like the .300 Blackout has 30-30 performance.... No substitute for cubic centimeters or cubic inches! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Just received my .358 BLR back from Neil Jones. He did a fabulous job on the trigger and now it breaks at about 3.5 pounds with only the smallest amount of initial take up.
    Hope to use it on whitetails this fall. Wished I had it when I lived in Alaska because it would of been the perfect moose rifle.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy

Bought a Howa 1500 in 243 win. sent it to Jesse to rebore to 358 Win now I'm selling the Ruger Tang safety pre warning 358 because it's too nice to carry in the woods!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

I've sold a few rifles over the years that were lovely, but too good to be dragging through the blackberry bushes or being dragged in and out of the 4wd. Seems a shame to damage something that is a part of history, I let collectors and more genteel shooters enjoy them and leave them intact for generations to come. There are some exceptions, however that I just can't part with, so I try and be a bit careful with them.

You can usually find a short action Savage that isn't that expensive for a donor. Last year I bought a Shaw barrel kit in 358 Winchester for 169.00 and it included the barrel wrench and gauges. I installed it on a long action Stevens 200 and because it is a center feed have had no feeding issues at all. Bought a Boyd's stock and added a Vortex Crossfire scope with Warne QD's rings. Here is a picture of the finished project.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast