Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 358 Winchester

Boolit Buddy
    700 action and a Douglas barrel. 358 is my go to bear rifle

Boolit Buddy
    There was a rebore Weatherby vanguard in the swappin/sellin forum a couple weeks back.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a Remington 7600 308Win Police (16.5" Bbl). We have a firm here in Sydney, Lumley Arms that makes the barrel extensions for the Remington pump rifle. I had a 20" barrel made up in 358Win.

I also have three or four 22/250s (don't ask, sighhhhhhhhhhhh). One is a lovely post 64 XTR Winchester Model 70 with a classic 3-9 Redfield scope. I fancy rebarrelling this to 358, but I need another 358 like I need a hole in the head.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

The .358 is fast becoming a favorite cartridge of mine. I sent a 700 ADL .243 to JES Reboring and got back a super accurate lightweight dream of a hunting rifle. Cast or jacket the first load tried is the one I use.

Boolit Master
    I don't understand, pick up a savage in 22-250, send $ to shaw or midway and install new barrel. The one thing I dislike and do not understand, magnum contour.
    I built mine after having put it off for several years. And now to get moving and send my 336 to jes for a 356. Use 44 Marlin brass and go on.

Boolit Master
    I would build one on a M70 Short action or a Rem 700.
    If you want a Mauser just build a 9X57 Mauser. It uses the same exact case dimensions as the 8X57 so it works through a Mauser like butter. You will just need to find dies that cost a little more and use a .358 barrel.
    Just keep in mind if you are going to run it full throttle with 250 grain or heavier bullets a light .358 does not feel much different than a M70 Super Express in .375 H&H.
    I have a BLR and I like it with 200 grain bullets for deer. If I had to shoot an elk or moose I am sure it would work ok with a 250 RN Speer or Hornady bullet. They were easy to find by the hundreds because 10 to 30 years ago no one wanted a heavy RN bullet for any caliber.

But it is wise to forget factory ammo and brass. I have not seen much brass in decades- that is wrong - it is more like NO brass in the last 20 years. The WW boxed brass that I have now might be worth more than the rifle. You can use .308 or you can even cut down .270 or .30-06.
    Last edited by EDG; 05-20-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    My Ruger M77 in 358 Win has a special place in my safe (it comes out pretty often) and is one of my favorites. It has been deer hunting several times now and elk hunting once (unfortunately didn't see a legal bull on that hunt). Mine really likes 225 grain Nosler Partitions over Ramshot TAC. It is a hard hitting caliber and the short action Ruger is really accurate. Someday, I hope to try similar weight hard cast boolits just for fun.

Boolit Buddy

I just sent a new Mossberg Patriot to JES that will become a 358 Win. Why? I love the Patriot stock/comb design as it is a great fit for me. I also plan for it to be a cast bullet gun exclusively because I love to shoot cast bullets. I will purchase some brass from Grumpa and will be on my way. I have already purchased dies and 2 molds.

I'm waiting for my Mossberg Patriot Walnut to arrive from interstate. They are a nice looking rifle. Mine is in 338WM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    I've got four .35 Remingtons and three .358 Winchesters. I've taken 20 Pennsylvania Whitetails with my .358's and if there is another cartridge out there that puts a Whitetail down quicker, I haven't found it yet. My .358's include a 1979 Remington 760 carbine rechambered from .35 Rem, a Remington 700 short action with an ER Shaw 22" barrel and tuned action, and a Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye with blued steel and walnut stock. I did a test using Ramshot TAC powder in my bolt gun .358's and achieved 2675 fps with a 200 grain bullets, 2550 with 220/225 grain bullets and 2400 fps with the Hornady 250 grain RN bullet. All the above exceed the velocities of my RP .35 Whelen factory loads I had on hand. Anything that walks, runs, flies, crawls, scratches or bites on this side of the planet can be taken with those loads in my .358's.

358 Win

Boolit Buddy

Four fingers, I hope you like the stock as much I do. It is the best fitting stock I have ever had.

I just bumped into my dealer friend. The Patriot has arrived, just waiting for the paperwork. No prob as I can't get to the range until next week. The stock shape is what attracted me to the rifle in the first place.

My brother borrowed my 700/JES .358 and I got it back Saturday. I fired two groups(3shots) @ 100yds. I was a little twitchy on the first group-2" so I settled down and the next group was 3/4". The load is Sierra 200 gr RN over IMR 4895 and the scope is a 6x Burris. JSH- I agree about that magnum contour thing Shaw has. Which is why the rebored Remington barrel is perfect for me- weight. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Master

I built a 358 Win on a Yugo 48 Intermediate-Length Mauser action a few years back. I have a 200gr RN mold from Lyman for my heavy loads and I also use the LEE 158gr gas-checked SWC and a Lyman 358311 160gr PB RN mold as well for plinkers although I wouldn't hesitate to use the SWC bullet at 2000fps for deer either.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .358 Win with an 18.5 inch barrel, tastefully shortened by the previous owner. Great shooter in a very handy length. My only gripe is that it really doesn't feed cast lead flat points very well. I'd like to see Ruger chamber the Gunsite Scout in this caliber because just about every bullet shape feeds from those magazines.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing but respect for the .308 but I think the Scout just screams for something with a bigger diameter tube.....contrary to Col. Cooper's vision.
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    just found out the marlin lever guns won't handle the 358 win pressures.

now to find a short action doner.. or a marlin xs7... and convert.
    How about a Savage 99?

Banned

marlin made them I 356 and they handle that just fine and theres not a whole lot of difference in pressure. I know guys that shoot factory 358 in there 356 rifles with no problems. Ive done it in my Winchester big bore 356 and extraction is no problem what so ever and theres not signs of high pressure problems. No I'm not saying that shooting 10k of then through the gun wouldn't add wear. I'm sure it would but who is going to shoot that much full power ammo through a gun. Mine get maybe a hundred or so full power 356 loads through the year for practice and hunting and the rest of what I shoot are reduced cast bullet loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    just found out the marlin lever guns won't handle the 358 win pressures.

now to find a short action doner.. or a marlin xs7... and convert.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    marlin made them I 356 and they handle that just fine and theres not a whole lot of difference in pressure. I know guys that shoot factory 358 in there 356 rifles with no problems. Ive done it in my Winchester big bore 356 and extraction is no problem what so ever.
    That's good to know, apart from the fact that they can handle it, the fact that in a pinch you could convert 308Win brass to get by is comforting. I can't imagine that 356 brass grows on trees. The BBs occasionally pop up for sale here, I can't say I have ever heard of a Marlin in 356, that would be a nice scrub buster with a low powered scope or ghost ring peep.

Boolit Grand Master

358 Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    That's good to know, apart from the fact that they can handle it, the fact that in a pinch you could convert 308Win brass to get by is comforting. I can't imagine that 356 brass grows on trees. The BBs occasionally pop up for sale here, I can't say I have ever heard of a Marlin in 356, that would be a nice scrub buster with a low powered scope or ghost ring peep.
    The Marlin model in 356 is a 336ER. They are hard to find. I have a 336W that started life as a 30-30 and has been converted to 356. A lot of people over the years wanted to convert one in 35 Remington to 356. Marlin had an official statement saying it's not safe to do this.

The 356 Win has a reduced case capacity. And the cartridge OAL is quite a bit less at 2.560 vs 2.780. This keeps pressures down a good bit. I went and looked at SAAMI's most recent specs for centerfire rifles. They have not established any Piezzo pressure numbers for either the 356 or 358. Some charts you find will list the Pmax as 52,000 CUP. Then there is the CIP Piezzo Pmax of 59,000 for the 358 and 60,000 for the 356. Their crusher measurements reflect the same thing w/ the 356 at 52,000 and 358 at 51,000.

For comparison the 30-30 has a Pmax of 46,000 PSI while the 35 Remington has a Pmax of 40,000 PSI. I don't hot rod my converted 336. Heavyweight factory 358 rounds will not load which is a good thing. Anytime you convert a rifle you are dealing w/ a bunch of unknown factors.

Oh yeah......I have a converted Savage 99 as well
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 06-23-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast