MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 358 Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by barney67 View Post
    Just got notification, Midway has barrel kits in.
    Yep and they are Magnum Contour (Heavy)1 in 14" Twist (good all around Twist) and 24" long (longer than needed for the .358 Winchester).

A couple of reasons why I like others have said that if you have a rifle or are willing to find a rifle to have JESS Re Bore then you will have a lighter and probably a handier rifle and save some funds as well. On a side note JESS can also cut some length off of your barrel if you so should wish for a nominal fee.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

If I could lend a suggestion: Steer clear of Shaw barrels, especially in the bargain basement package with the headspace gauges, and wrench. Spend a couple extra bucks and send the rifle to JES (It's only $225 IIRC). The quality you get from him is head and shoulders above the garbage Shaw sends MidwayUSA.
    Shaw barrels hold the record in my shop for consistently making the worst barrels I've put a borescope into. I won't even build on one if I'm asked to.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Bub
    Too late for me, my Midway/Shaw barrel kit is due in today.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Just run in carefully on jacketed bullets, that should smooth it out nicely.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by barney67 View Post
    Too late for me, my Midway/Shaw barrel kit is due in today.
    I am very happy with the 1 I purchased.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I have A Vanguard I bought from a member here last spring:It is A JES 358 Win Rebore!
    Here is a cast boolit targets I shot with it last august at 100 yards
    It was using a Lyman 358009 boolit

Attachment 189129

Attachment 189134

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

A .358 Win, just plain WANTS to shoot well.

And they do. Very well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Finally got my 358 barrel installed on the Axis this weekend, had to buy an action wrench, my homemade solutions weren't getting it done.

I was surprised to find that the Shaw 358 barrel is lighter than the Axis 308 heavy barrel despite being a couple inches longer, also surprised by the amount of steel beads and gunk in there from the factory.

Ran through 25 rounds of the only jacketed bullets I had in .358 which were 158 grain JSP's with some Red Dot.

Then loaded up some 200 grain Lee RNFP's checked and PC'd with IMR3031, first group (4) at the bottom of the target averaged 1850 fps, upped the charge and made a few clicks on the scope for the 2nd group (5) averaged 1940 fps and measured 1.5 inches. These were shot at 85 paces, ran out of time for further testing, but I like the initial results and there's room for improvement, the trigger needs work and trigger puller can do a better job. Also, just got notification that Boyd's shipped my stock.

Cobby old Shaw barrel seems okay..........
    Best, Thomas.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567