Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 358 Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    JesterGrin1- let's do return to the .358 Win. I tried out a small game / plinking load of 6.6 grs Bullseye(.7cc Lee dipper) with the RCBS 200 gr Fpgc today and I'm still grinning. They are quiet,accurate, & fun. Best, Thomas.
    As you know that is the beauty of the .358's as one can use anything from a lead round ball and light pistol bullets and boolits up to around 300Gr in bullet weight. All the while being able to load it down to a plinker rabbit load up to Moose and Elk if one needs. But I would refrain from Grizzly or Brown Bear unless in a place that they can not get to you lol. As at those times is when of course the 35 Whelen is needed.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

The BEST unsucessful cartridge ever in my opinion- and I've had mine less than a year.
    Solidly in my top 5 rifle rounds. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Got some brass converted to 358, will try to get some 200 RNFP's cast this weekend, hopefully ER Shaw will restock Midway soon.

Quote Originally Posted by barney67 View Post
    Got some brass converted to 358, will try to get some 200 RNFP's cast this weekend, hopefully ER Shaw will restock Midway soon.
    Good luck with the Shaw barrels at Midway. I really like the one I have. I also shoot the 200 RNFP's.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Buckblind2-that same SKY laminate thumbhole stock is on my daughter's Stevens 200 .243. We styling' now. Best, Thomas.

Here you go. My Savage (Stevens) 358 Winchester build. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...build-slow-lol
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 02-24-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Buckblind2-that same SKY laminate thumbhole stock is on my daughter's Stevens 200 .243. We styling' now. Best, Thomas.
    My Axis will probably look a lot like Buckblind2's when I'm finished, just makes sense. Boyd's laminate, pepper finish looks good with stainless. I have a Vortex scope on my 243 Axis, likely to go with same for the 358, will have different rings though as I already have DNZ rings.

My Axis will probably look a lot like Buckblind2's when I'm finished, just makes sense. Boyd's laminate, pepper finish looks good with stainless. I have a Vortex scope on my 243 Axis, likely to go with same for the 358, will have different rings though as I already have DNZ rings.
    I didn't have any rings to use expecially 30 mm rings so I have to buy some and my youngest son recommended the Warne QD's.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Thanks for the link, looks like you got a shooter there.

Thanks for the link, looks like you got a shooter there.
    You are very welcome. And yes I was amazed at the accuracy.

I will say however that if one is able to have there factory rifle re bored by JESS I would do so as the Shaw Barrel is a Mag contour thus it is darn heavy.

Boolit Bub
    You are very welcome. And yes I was amazed at the accuracy.

I will say however that if one is able to have there factory rifle re bored by JESS I would do so as the Shaw Barrel is a Mag contour thus it is darn heavy.
    My donor rifle is 308 heavy barrel 22 inch(I think). Not sure how the weight compares, but I'd rather keep the 308 option if I can get a 358 barrel for less than the cost of a rebore.

Quote Originally Posted by bucklind2 View Post
    I didn't have any rings to use expecially 30 mm rings so I have to buy some and my youngest son recommended the Warne QD's.
    Bucklind2, is your Boyd's stock factory or bull barrel?

My donor rifle is 308 heavy barrel 22 inch(I think). Not sure how the weight compares, but I'd rather keep the 308 option if I can get a 358 barrel for less than the cost of a rebore.

Bucklind2, is your Boyd's stock factory or bull barrel?
    Bull

Boolit Bub
    Bull

Thanks.

As far as I know the Boyd's Thumb hole stock is the only design that has enough meat on the fore end to enable one to fit the 358 Winchester barrel.

As far as I know the Boyd's Thumb hole stock is the only design that has enough meat on the fore end to enable one to fit the 358 Winchester barrel.
    The Prairie Hunter may also work. But I do like my thumb hole.

Experience with the weight of the Shaw barrels in 8mm & above prompted the JES rebore of my 700 Rem. 3 grooves 22" original contour light, accurate, & beautifully balanced. Yesterday I put three RCBS 200 gr FP in 1-1/8" @ 100 yds. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have A Vanguard I bought from a member here last spring:It is A JES 358 Win Rebore!
    Here is a cast boolit targets I shot with it last august at 100 yards
    It was using a Lyman 358009 boolit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vanguard With 009 100 yds.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	189129

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	358-009.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	189134
    Last edited by JWFilips; 02-26-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Yep the .358 Winchester is a horrible caliber.

That's what I would do. If you buy a barrel kit from MidwayUSA get a new barrel nut as well. Take it to your local smith and have him take the old barrel off and remove the old nut completely off the barrel. Then you can switch it between the two at your own convenience. It comes with the wrench and gauges.

Yep the .358 Winchester is a horrible caliber.
    Yes it is. And there's a bunch of plain old .243s & .308s out there just waiting to be made horrible-er! Jump in guys you'll not regret it!

Boolit Bub
    Just got notification, Midway has barrel kits in.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast