WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New .41mag member here

So, I took it down today and processed the 20 rnds of winchester. Man this thing is great. It rolls a bit in the hand but it isn't a problem or abusive. I am attributing this to low bullet weight more than the nature of a magnum Blackhawk. I was having a hard time staying on target because my first shot would be dead bull and I would start laughing. I also finally tested my .45LC Henry True Blue loads and they were awesome as well. What a great short day at the range. I can't wait to get more time with the .41. I also got a tour of another range that has silhouette targets and lots of steel, I may be changing membership or adding one at least.

Lucky,
    Thanks for the pictures. I look forward to experimenting with different powders and this will help. Fortunately, I can use Accurates website for starting loads as yours and my Lyman loads do not have #9 or #7 as options for the .41.

Four-Sixty,
    Thank you for the heads-up I will certainly check that out. I really want to get some #9 without having to pay hazmat fees.

Combat and Groo,
    Thanks for the loads. I always end up trying a Unique load so this will certainly help.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

If you are shooting the regular Ruger grips with full power factory 41 mag loads, I suggest you stop by your local Home Depot and pick up a 3 pack of their light work gloves. My Old 3 screw 41 will rock back and take a pretty good bite from my shooting hand w/o the glove. 7 grains of Unique also solves the problem.

Lucky,
    Thank you that is exactly what I was after. Is that an Accurate manual or a caliber specific manual?
    Nathan

Boolit Master

Yes caliber specific and you're welcome
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    noon--41 mag is a favorite of mine.. 0pen sites don't agree with my old eyes. l shoot a 657 w/red dot and a TC Contender scoped. l am shooting a FAT casting SAECO 220GR bullet. l say FAT because my boolets 410dia cast from coww ,sow come out the mold @ 236gr... lts gotta be the mold because the same alloy cast in RCBS or LYMAN are pretty close weight marked on mold... The SAECOs shoot great when pushed by 8gr of UNIQUE

Sw thank you. I got my mits on some 2400 today and my mold from Al was in the mailbox when I got home tonight so it is almost time to start experimenting. My first step is to cast a few soww bullets and check her throats and barrel and order a bullet sizer. I think I am going to try PC bullets in it to start but I do not feel like having to get 2 sizing dies and I don't know if the lee sizing die really crimps gas checks or not I suppose I could get a Lyman style and run it dry but I worry about that as well. hmmmm
    Nathan

The Lee push through sizing die should crimp the gas check just fine.

If you did use a lyman without lube, you could always spray the bullets with WD-40, as Ranch Dog advised on his web site for sizing without lube. (this works for the lee die to) I've tried it and that works. But, I bet the Lee sizing die will work for you to get those checks on.

If you have trouble getting the checks to stay on straight with the Lee die, reverse the boolit and size them base first if you have a flat enough meplat. You could spray the bullets with WD-40 and crimp on the checks. Then, you could pan lube the bullets and size them again nose first the traditional way.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Four-Sixty,
    I never considered sizing them backwards. You are a genious. I don't know why ideas like that do not come to me easier. I swear I get use to a procedure being done a certain way and I get to married to that procedure. I think it must be years of following flight checklists or something. Thank you that will work.
    Nathan