Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separating while melting wheel weights

Boolit Man

Separating while melting wheel weights

Numerically this makes sense but their is probably a reason it won't work.

With th the almost 200 deg diffrence in the melting point between zinc and lead. Could a guy toss it all in together and skim out the zinc?
    i have access to about 1000 lbs of wheel weights and am not looking forward to sorting it!
    Learning by breaking something every day!
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Grand Master

Look in the stickies I believe there are available materials to flux with that removes zinc from lead. The heat temp method may get most but some may mitigate ( like silver or copper do into lead)You dont always have to reach the alloys melting temp to blend it in. Antimony is a good example

Boolit Master
    I think if you sorted out the obvious zinkers, your better off. your wheelweight clips are zinc coated, so you will have trace elements of zinc anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    I smelt at low temp and skim off all the steel, zinc and trash. Works great, just pay attention to your temp.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

I hate to think of you struggling with that enormous chore. Suggestion - Send it to me.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Man
    Lol Half Dog. I just lucked into it. Put off buying for some time but I figure I will roll the dice and see what happens.
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Melting temperature of Zinc ... 787.15 °F
    Melting temperature of 93.5Pb - 5.0 Sn - 1.5 AG (COWW's) ... 564.8 F
    Separate the Zinc COWW's out of the melt FIRST
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Melt some known lead till you have a decent puddle then add ww gradually. Zinc etc will float high on the melt, lead floats just above the surface. As long as you melt isn't very hot (say 800+) you can easily spot and remove the trash before it starts to melt.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

If you do it as described in the OP just do 1 or 2 handfuls
    at a time pick out the zinc before it has a chance to melt.
    I've been doing this for several years and have had no problems.
    The only thing to remember is, you have to pay close attention all the time and not get distracted.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Man
    Sounds like I better sort the wheel weights!! Me not getting distracted is like giving a fat guy a doughnut and telling him he can't eat it!! It's just gonna happen!
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Master

I always start out with just lead and then start adding everything without sorting out the steel and lead. Adding in the cold wheelweights will help keep the temperature from rising too quickly. I've taken everything I skimmed and then ran it through with a hotter temperature another time and recovered the zinc just for the 'ell of it. All that was skimmed that second time was just the steel clips and wheelweights. Don't know what I'll ever use that zinc for, but I have it, just in case.

Boolit Master
    I tried sorting ww it did not work for me . I pick out the valve stems but that's it . It's hard for me to sort enough to get the pot a third full to get the party started with lead , after that I pile it up and watch the temp take out zink and clips and continue . At first I read the sticky on it and got a cheap thermometer .

Boolit Master

Leave some lead in your pot so that you'll have a pool of lead to start with next time.

Boolit Grand Master

Some do and some don't. If you do you need to have good control over your temp. I pre sort mine because I smelt in a larger pot and the stuff on bottom can get hot quick. Just dump them out in a pile, grab a beer and go to sorting. Make an afternoon of it. A few zinc weights won't ruin a large pot of alloy but the fewer the better.

Boolit Master
    Sort as you throw them in the smelter. I sort before and while im smelting. I smelt over wood fire and cant control the temp so easy. Those pallets burn hot and fast

Boolit Master

Hi. I used to sort diligently. Now I just watch till the melt wont stick to the clips then stir and scrape. At this time the zinc and steel will float, skim and pour to ingot or refill with more COWW. I can usually spot the zinc and SOWW as i melt and separate. I trade the SOWW for COWW with the shot makers and BP guys. The zinc I save and give it away, I keep a small stash for making anodes.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

In Remembrance

Being retired I have a `little` spare time to hand sort wheel weights. I use a pair of 10" long end nippers to check questionable pieces. You will soon recognize a lead weight from an iron one (Fe) or a Zinc one (Zn) just by looking at them or how the clip is attached or the shiny ness of them. There is a code lettering on each weight indicating if it is Fe or Zn or Pb. It took me about 1 1/2 weeks of hand sorting to do 10 pails (5 gal. size) that all were 3/4 or more full of weights. I wound up with about 90 lbs. of non lead weights that were sold back to the scrap yard, along with the melted off weight clips from previous smelts, for some bricks of plumbers pure soft lead they happened to have.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

If ya think it's too much work to separate them now, wait till your hunting for a few lead weights among the junk. That's when the certified lead retailers will raise the price on us.
    Do it now and use till the Gov says quit. It's called Liberal back door gun control, coming to a state near you.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes you can do this, as mentioned, keep the pot temp low. I use a small kitchen strainer with a stainless steel wire mesh in the shape of a basket that an uncle put a nice sturdy handle on. Have melted 600+ pounds this way. All the clips are skimmed off and taken to the scrap yard and the zinc weights sorted out as they bring about .25 cents a pound so we get usable material back into the system and a little money too.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    DO NOT trust the temp of your re-melting pot! Sort B4 ever starting. If you want those "free" COWW's, you have to work for them today with all the tons of zinkers in there. Fe can be easily removed with a STRONG magnet.

I would never trust a gas-fired re-melting pot of any kind to control temp below Zn liquidous temp.

Just be safe and take the time to sort. Just get yourself a bottle of HCl acid, end cutters, a 1" diameter steel rod about 12" long, a good stool for sitting, and "have lots-o-fun"! You got 'em......now sort 'em.

That is exactly why I quit messing with WW's over 2 years ago...free or not. My time is just too valuable to mess with the dirty old things. I buy all my alloys and pure locally and mix to what I want.

banger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast