Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damage to base coating from gunpowder???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers284 View Post
    Interesting...I have never heard of gun powder affecting the measure hopper before, must not apply to a Dillon hopper, I just checked the one I have had a continuous supply of TiteG in for going on 9 or 10 yrs and shows no degradation to hopper or internal baffle.
    What color is your Dillon hopper? Mine is/was green and has been badly discolored (hard to see through) by powders (mostly Unique and Bullseye, never titegroup). I have looked for replacement hoppers and the pictures of the current ones seem to be clear (colorless), as opposed the the green one I have. It just may be, and I do not know for sure, that Dillon has changed the plastic composition that they use in the hoppers now. My Dillon hopper is about twenty years old or so.

Boolit Bub
    I do have one hopper as you describe yours, it came with an older used press I bought. I don't know the history of the hopper but it is extremely "smoked over" on the inside and the press came with a new tub of Titegroup so suspect it was used by the previous owner. While it has the smoked colored covering (that wouldn't just wipe off) there is no actual plastic degradation/pocking at all, still as smooth as the newer ones.

After your post I had a closer look at my hoppers, originally I was looking for an actual pitting or sticking of the powder to the sides, there is none however after a second look there is some minor discoloration on them no matter what powder they contain (IMR4895, SR 7625,IMR 3031, Trail Boss). These hoppers are all a basically clear color with a very slight blue tinge.

Boolit Master
    I stumbled across this old thread while researching the topic myself. Let me be clear of my concern: Can the interaction between powder coating materials and gunpowder degrade the gunpowder?? (Who cares about the PC on the base of the projectile? Though whether the PC degradation migrates upwards and affects the brass to projectile interface might be a thought.)

I just watched a test done by You-Tuber MannyCa whereby he put powdercoated bullets in different gunpowders for one month. There was a very definite (and nasty), degradation of components. More controlled and extensive testing is needed. I would like to know myself, for both safety and long term storage effects.

The question is not just if the powdercoating itself gets damaged, because it is quite possibly a bipolar interaction that can take place. A component, (nitro?), in the gunpowder can attack the powdercoat, which then breaks down and releases substances that contaminate the gunpowder. In the MannyCa Youtube video, one of the tests showed a paper label that got soaked with an oily substance during the course of the test.

Any input or experiences regarding this subject will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 03-14-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy
    Use Aliant Sport Pistol and forget about it. That new propellant was engineered specifically for coated projectiles. It’s a direct drop in replacement for Vitavouri N320 at half the cost.

Banned
    here's a thread on the subject
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...PC-long-enough

I tried several different smokeless powders wi PC'd boolits and didn't have a problem, but, I baked my PC closer to 20 min and possibly got a good enough cure on the PC. If the PC isn't cured smokeless powder can react to it softening and sticking to the PC. This has to affect youre load/powder charge

Boolit Master
    Ok, thanks!

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Banned
    these were bullseye powder baked 10-15 min in an oven preheated to 400°

PC on the bottom melted and stayed soft, I could scrape it off with a fingernail

the sides and top passed the smash stest with no flaking or chipping (the flaw is from the old hammer I used)

Boolit Master

Have to ask, was the 400* verified/ calibrated? Also, what type of PC was used?

I do specialized & custom powder coating and there are different base types of PC. These can behave quite differently when not properly cured or exposed to solvents or VOC’s, some are just about inert while others will break down.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    blikseme300, I came up with an idea to use a digital thermometer with a thermocouple with a bullet attached to it. It allows me to watch the temp and start a timer when my temp hits the mark. I generally use a polyester matte powder. Would you say there is a certain powder that would be better to use for the powder degradation?
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

I dont have much TG powder but if I use it with PC'd bullets then I will just put a plain base gas check on them before loading. problem solved

Boolit Master
    I will add another vote for the sport pistol powder. After igolfat8 told me about it I bought some and it is great stuff! Maybe kind hard to find nowdays. I still have 8 lbs. left. Hope that is enough to get me thru.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12