Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I have here? How do turn it into shootable lead?

Yep muffin tins make little pucks, or my favorite for bulk is bread loaf pans, soup ladle about 4 scoops will give you a 12 lb. slab. that stacks and moves around well. The pucks are smaller at around a pound or pound and a half so easier to adjust to an accurate weight when mixing.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I got some lead roof jacks from my roofer neighbor and melted it all down to muffin ingots.
    They were very shiny when cooled.
    I suspect a high tin content from the joints that had been soldered.

In the future I will cut out the joints and melt them down by separately.
    I hadn't thought of that before.

Banned

I acquired about 2 tons of the same type of lead. I mix it 5050 with ww and use it in 38 spec 44 spec 45 colt loads. Its fine for velocitys under a 1000fps.

Boolit Mold
    Ran it all to the farm and Had a Big melt yesterday and this morning. 150lbs or so. I cut the soldered ends off and kept them separated. I found a turkey fryer for cheap on craigslist and bought it. I raided the local Goodwill and bought a huge dutch oven Iron pot , nice ladle and a assorted set of spoons with holes in them.

I just made a stand and kept the large pieces flat pieces upright and let them melt down. They went down rather Quick. Only got about 2.5lbs of crud out of it all. I tried wax for fluxing but sawdust worked better for me. Cheap muffin tins worked great.

After I did the pipe I melted the soldered pieces and got 8 muffin ingots out of it alone.

I'll try to get down there again and do the rest soon. I'll bring a Axe with me next time to cut it up in smaller pieces.

All the lead is super soft. I Can put a deep scratch in it with just a light fingernail scrape.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd smelt all the like lead into ingots and smelt all the WW's into ingots. The take x-number of soft lead and melt Y-number of WW ingots to make a repeatable alloy. You'll figure out how many of each makes the final alloy that works for your purpose.

Boolit Mold
    I Got a hold of a scanner through a Metallurgist buddy of mine. Tuesday I will have them zapped to see what I am really dealing with.

Boolit Mold
    Had scrap lead ingots X-ray'd. All pure lead was like %99.9999 something.

Had soldered end ingots done as well they are %98 pb and %2sn.

Probably just run those as pure lead as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Great Score. Great Friend. Been awhile, but I grew fond of using a one-sided hatchet or axe to score the lead cable sheathing or lead water pipe for easy folding over to fit into the 90 lb capacity dutch oven I still keep separate to use for scrap Pb rendering. Had an old stump back on the farm to lay the Pb-whatever on, held the hatchet where I wanted the cut or score, & whacked the flat top hammer side with a 2 lb. ball peen hammer. Had to strip a lot of lead cable sheathing for my Pap so he could burn & scrap the copper wire. Used the same one-sided Boy Scout hatchet & a hammer to split it open lengthwise. Dad got the wire. I got the lead!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12