Titan ReloadingPBcastcoReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alteration to the Harbor Freight Powder Gun

Boolit Mold
    Hi, i just got one of the HF gun ,i would be interested in building one of the modified tip,i am thinking of useing a bullet instead of the welder tip.Would it work ,or having a lead core would not ? I am trying not to have to buy a 10 pack of tips that i would not have any use for.

Dredging this back up. I gave up because I couldn't find anything to screw onto the "mystery threads" on the rod. I just had this freakin' brainstorm - why not just wrap the copper wire tightly onto the rod w/needlenose pliers?

Must re-address this. I've had dismal coverage results with the spray gun, and I hate the roughness of shake 'n bake coatings.

Boolit Master
    My old HF gun works, but no where near as well as my Eastwood Dual Voltage gun, so the HF is retired unless needed. I just used what I had available to fashion a tip. Anything to get a better charge through the powder flow should help. The big thing to be aware of when spraying is making sure the compressor air is as dry as possible because high humidity will kill the charge.

Yes, just wrap bare fine copper wire around the tip and point the ends of the wire toward the target. It works but needs to be cleaned often.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Do you have pictures of the modifications to the HF gun? the old pictures aren't accessible

Boolit Master
    I am not sure what happened to the photos, but they went away a while back when posting photos on the site changed. Here are the photos showing the copper threaded adapter and a plastic bottle used to restrict and better direct the powder flow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1756_1.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	228842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1757_1.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	228843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1758_1.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	228844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1759_1.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	228845

Banned
    Thanks for the info. I was going to get an Eastwood gun but found a deal Recently:
    4# Eastwood ultra clear, 2# Eastwood reflective chrome (both ASBBDT great)

An old Harbor freight oven

and a Harborfreight PC gun that had only been used a couple of times for $90 total ... I couldn't say no

It also came with 5 bottles of HF PC that I dumped to use the bottles for my PC. Some would say that was wasteful BUT my PC (some of "smokes" and a lot that I bought/acquired/traded for is far superior to the HF pc and I wouldn't wish HF pc on anyone plus it's not worth the cost of shipping of someone did want it.

IRWIN HANSON 4 - 40 NC Tap and No. 43 Drill Bit Set, 80209 amazon $6.15 prime https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YOAO...539637172&sr=1

Online auction site $5.76 shipped #4-40 HSS Plug Tap and #43 HSS Drill Bit, Qualtech

and I have .030 in. MIG Welding Contact Tips

I have some copper penny PC that the manufacturer says works best under chrome, my ASBBDT results wern't satisfactory.

Boolit Master
    I hate to tell you but the bottles the HF powder comes in do not fit the HF gun.
    Looks like you found a deal and the HF gun does work. It just does not work as well when the humidity gets high like the dual voltage Eastwood gun. Since I live on the Gulf Coast humidity is a problem. That was the reason I made the tip for the HF gun, to increase the charge. Getting the compressor air as dry as possible also make a big difference.

I agree HF powder is a poor choice for bullets, but it works fine for some things. I used up the one container I purchased several years ago spraying coffee cans to be used for bullet storage. Just heat the can up to 350+ degrees and spray. The powder melts on contact; then just do a regular cure. Same process works for PC other things also.

Some powders will not tumble coat, copper penny is one of them. So far all the solid color powders I have tried will tumble coat, but some better than others. Yellow powder just like yellow paint will need more than one coat. Blue's & Green's seem to work the best.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 10-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Boolit Man
    I seen a thread some where that people where drilling the air nipple with multiple holes to help the powder mist better.
    But now I cant find it.
    Anyone seen this mod?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123