Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alteration to the Harbor Freight Powder Gun

Boolit Master

Alteration to the Harbor Freight Powder Gun

After looking as some of the more expensive powder guns I made a couple of changes to my gun that helps me. A copper multi wire tip & powder diverter.
    Attachment 162492Attachment 162493Attachment 162494Attachment 162495

Boolit Buddy
    What does it "help" you do? What fault were you correcting?

Boolit Master

Little more explanation, please? Your last pic shows the added 'powder diverter' with a screw-on cap in place...how does that work?

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    My powder spread was too large using the any of the included HF plastic tip diverters, no diverter worked better.

With my add on's my powder stream is reduced and denser. I also think the copper tip gives me a better charge as there is more contact surface as well as copper a better conductor. Its all subjective, but the powder seems to bond more even and faster.

If no one has guessed the diverter is a plastic bottle slipped over the gun barrel and taped. The cap just seals the end of the gun when not in use.

I added the wires and it does help. The step in the bottle may help with powder 'dumps'. Cap helps keep the powder dry. I used a 45 PVC pipe but no reducer or cap. Clean the wire after a while, to keep the charge going.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I added the wires and it does help. The step in the bottle may help with powder 'dumps'. Cap helps keep the powder dry. I used a 45 PVC pipe but no reducer or cap. Clean the wire after a while, to keep the charge going.
    Good to hear. Since it's copper, I easily clean the tip by dropping it into a 1/1 mix of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I take it the powder builds up faster with the added contact of the wire? I have tried moving the direction of the air that swirls the powder that seemed to help very little. Also added some airsoft bbs into the mix that seemed to help here and there one thing for sure it making sure the powder gets up into the air stream.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Thanks for added info. I've experienced much the same thing...wide spread/low powder density...no matter which tip I used. Might just get my HF gun out this afternoon and see what I can cobble together.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Just brush off the powder from the wires or blow it off with the compressor. Extra wires expose more powder stream to the static field.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Bill: You might want to start out with just the bottle, assuming you can find the right size to just slip over the barrel, and see how that works as little time and effort is involved. I am sure others will come up with better ideas. I considered cutting down a plastic funnel, but I had none the right size.

If anyone wishes to make a multi-wire tip. The thread size on my HF gun is 4-40.

Any other questions I will be happy to answer.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Pretty neat! The HF gun does need a little help getting more static to the powder.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Clean the powder off the wires frequently - powder build up on the wires reduces static.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I used a 5-Hour Energy drink bottle. It requires one wrap of duct or similar tape for a tight fit. Does a good job tightening up the powder stream
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Hi Walter,

Is your bottle a #5 (Polypropylene) bottle as I would think this would also help by giving off electrons? What I am using is a #2 (Polyethylene), but looking for all the help I can get.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I always have a soft 3/4" artist brush handy when using either of my ESPC guns to brush off the powder from the busniness end. I does seem to help with the speed and qualtiy of the coating to have a clean end!

Amd I blow out the gun body each time I end my session. HF sells a 12" long air "needle" blowgun that is great for getting up inside the tubes.

Been too sick and now too busy to do any coating in the past 3+ weeks. Just now catching up on all that delayed engineering work I put off while under the weather.

banger

Has anyone given any thought to a spring inside the guns nozzle tube attached to the electrode? That would surely give it a lot more surface area to charge the powder but may build up with to much powder to fast to make it worth the effort. Just thinking out loud since I do not have the time to test it myself.

Boolit Master
    Here are a couple of pictures showing how controlled, dense and well bonded my spray pattern is also note the lack of overspray even outside without my wind shield. I didn't get these results with the out of the HF box gun before my additions.
    Attachment 163723Attachment 163726

Looks good I have noticed the older my powder gets it must be sucking in moisture and its not working as well. I am going to try the improvements on my gun and see if that helps its been a real wet winter.

Boolit Master
    Check out my post "Keeping your Powder Dry", showing my very effective and inexpensive homemade in-line air dryer. Any moisture in your air supply is not good because the powder tends to cake and moisture dissipates the charge.

Boolit Buddy

It looks like you soldered the additional wires on. Correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast