Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: TC or Thermometer placement in pot?

Boolit Bub

TC or Thermometer placement in pot?

I have a Lee 4 20, and put the complete upgrade kit on it from My2ndRight...really made it nice with the rest and mold guide. I am assuming the lid will help the temp get up faster but being a total novice I don't know any difference. My question is on placement of either a TC or Thermometer....it appears in my search results here that most like to have it about 1/2" from the bottom, would you say this is correct?

What about distance from the side? Seems like if it was flat against the pot that it would be in the way the least amount for fluxing and adding ingots to the pot but I don't read about anybody putting it right against the side. What is the ideal distance to mount this thing from the side of the pot? I'm going to rig something up and want to make it the best distance possible.

Thanks for all the help getting started guys. My PID will be finished tonight.

Keith

Vendor Sponsor

Can't tell you ideal distance from side . I use the same 1/2-3/4" from bottom and side ..
    So far it has worked great for me..

Can tell you this I went thru about 3 TC's real fast till I hard mounted one .. haven't replaced one since ..

seems the moving it around bending wire even just a little tended to kill it .. First sign would be inconsistent temp readings
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Good to know, I think I will be proactive and order a spare or two now. I'm a great example of Murphy's Law!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Perfect example why my "seat-o-the-pants" temperature measurement I use in my casting pots has worked for many MANY years! No T/C's, no wires, no runs, no drips, no errors!

banger

Boolit Master

I would think 1/2" from the pot bottom or sides would give you an accurate temperature of the molten lead. Or at least it would be consistent so you could adjust temp. accordingly. A TC touching the pot would be hotter than the temp. of the metal.

Boolit Mold
    I use a bracket from a Brownell's bluing thermometer. Clips over the side no prob, and angles the probe in at about 15 or so degrees. The hole in the bracket is a bit oversized, so you periodically have to pull the probe up a bit.

1/2" from the side and 1/2" from the bottom is good. I stole an idea from someone else and wrapped a piece of #12 wire around a Philips head screwdriver of the correct size for the TC, cut the end and put a U shape on the end and stuck it under one of the pots' screws. Has worked fine for 2 years now.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I stole an idea from someone else and wrapped a piece of #12 wire around a Philips head screwdriver of the correct size for the TC, cut the end and put a U shape on the end and stuck it under one of the pots' screws.
    I saw that one and will probably do that at least to start with.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to those who had suggestions. All are appreciated.

Boolit Master

Mine sit 1/2" from both bottom and side. Read it someplace or another and haven't seen any good reason to change positions.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

What he just said.

Boolit Bub
    Something to consider is if the lead level goes below the TC your controller is going to flog the heat to the pot to make set point. I've seen this happen before and the little bit of lead left in the pot definitely reached dangerous temps. Still you cant have the TC touching the pot itself, so they only way around it is to just be mindful.

Boolit Master

I drilled a hole and mounted mine in the bottom. Never again. 1) it leaked. 2) it didn't last long. As I said, I will never again bottom mount a tc in the bottom of a Lee pot.
    YMMV
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I took a wire coat hanger and just bent a holder out of it. Approx 1/2" from the side and 1" from the bottom. That's typically lower than I let the pot get anyways, I usually refill at the 1/2 way point and take a break.

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    I was instructed by the fellow who made my PID and sold me the thermocouple to mountit as close to the outlet nozzle as I could and that it should be 1/4" off the bottom of the pot. He didn't mention how close to the side, but I'd imagine 1/4" for that would be fine also.