WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking for Winchester expert

Boolit Buddy

Looking for Winchester expert

Looking for someone knowledgeable in Winchester rifles to help me out. A few years ago my Dad purchased a pair of unfired (no boxes) consecutive serial numbered Winchester model 64 rifles chambered in 32 Winchester Special. They were made in 1952 and are in 99%+ condition. The unusual thing about these rifles is that they are chekered but no grip cap or sling swivels so I am guessing they are not considered a Deluxe model.
    He decided since he bought them for a investment it might be time to let them go and get something he can shoot and enjoy. Since these rifles are "collectors grade" what would be the best way to sell them (or trade) to get the most out of them? What's the best way to value them? I have looked on the auction sites and it looks like the higher grade model 64s are going for $2000 or so. But being a consecutive numbered pair how much extra value does this add?

It sounds like it would be worth your time to get ahold of one of the auction houses that specializes in the sale of expensive firearms. They can no doubt arrange for your rifles to be appraised and will be happy to sell them for you. Of course, they will charge a commission; but on the plus side they'll probably get top dollar for you, as they advertise ahead of the auction and that is where collectors with that kind of money look for their next acquisition. You'll see their ads in many of the gun related publications like "Firearms News".

Boolit Man
    It sounds like someone checkered a standard 64. If so, it would only detract from value. I take it he did not buy them new, but from an individual or "second hand"?

Boolit Buddy
    He did buy them at a gun shop. The rifles were on consignment. The story was that they were purchased in Arizona in the early 70's from a old hardware store that was going out of business.
    I have had a couple of small time "arm chair" Winchester collectors look them over at a gun show and a Winchester collector that advertised in gun list ( a few years ago) view them via emailed photos. They all seem to think that they are factory checkered standard rifles. No way to prove it but it was the opinions of 3 individuals.