Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lee melting pot

Boolit Buddy

Lee melting pot

I've run across someone who has a new Lee melting pot with ladle and some lead bars. He's asking $60 for it. It's one of the bottom pour units. Is this a fair deal.
    I don't cast yet but have been doing a little research and thought this might be a good place to start with some components. I don't want to spend a small fortune to start with in case I decide this isn't for me.

Boolit Master

It's all according to how big is the pot (10lb, 20lb), is it in good shape or has it been used and abused? Here in S&S I've seen the 10lb pots go for $25-40. I'd have the guy heat the pot up and see if it dribbles lead out of the spout. If it does, the entire pot has to be drained and the spout cleaned up with some fine steel wool and the control rod tip also cleaned up. That usually fixes the dreaded "Lee Drip" situation
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Grand Master

the pot will get you stared, $60.00 for the pot ladle and some lead bars. Alot depends on the pot as stated above also what ladle? lee ( a glorified spoon) lyman rcbs or rowel? or is it a homemade ladle? Some lead bars is also pretty generic. What alloy? How much? some ingot moulds pour 1 lb and 1/2 lb bars some home made ones pour 3-5 lb bars. You state the pot is new, so that is a plus. WHat bullets are you planing on casting? 400-500+ grain bullets drain a 10 lb pot pretty quick.

Boolit Buddy
    It's never been used. Seems to be at least medium sized from the picture and the ladle has a really big wooden handle. The guy bought it to make mini balls for his re-enactment rifle but never got around to it. He has five lead bars but didn't say how big. I'm only casting for .380, 9mm and maybe some 230g .45s.
    It would be nice to have one of the bigger commercial types but I'm not ready for that yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I bought a Lee 4-20 for $50...new in the box.

20# is all most of us need in a casting pot. Just keep feeding it pre-heated ingots (on a hot plate) and you can cast all day!

banger

Banned

You won't need the ladle with the bottom pour. It may work when you smelt your lead to make clean ingots. The new 20#ers go for about $70 plus shipping and the 10#ers for $59 So if new sounds like a decent deal to get started. If its a 20#er then its a real good deal.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hit the link below and you can see what Titan gets for their Lee pots - they are a sponsor on this site and provide excellent service. Take a look and compare them to what you are looking at . . that may help in determining if it is a good price or not.

http://www.titanreloading.com/melters

Boolit Buddy
    If the pot works you're probably good. The 1# bars are at worth at least $1 each. There are some tools. My Lee pot was used when I got it 20 years ago and I just last year put a PID controller on it. It's working great.

Boolit Buddy
    I passed on the melting pot. It was a tiny thing. Only about 3" in diamter and maybe 6" deep. Appeared to be too small for any serious casting. Search goes on. I hate to put too much into something I might outgrow in the near future. Any suggestions for a beginner?

Boolit Master

If your dimensions are about right, that is a 10 pounder. Just remember that 10 pounds of lead will make over 300 230 grain bullets. Furnaces are smaller than one would expect.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I bought a Lee 4-20 for $50...new in the box.

20# is all most of us need in a casting pot. Just keep feeding it pre-heated ingots (on a hot plate) and you can cast all day!

banger
    Pre-heated ingots on a hot plate!
    I like that!

I use my hotplate for my mold but pre-heating the ingots makes sense too.
    It would certainly reduce the waiting time of the alloy to get back up to the proper temperature when adding more alloy.
    Thanks for the tip!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You are welcome. I've been doin' it for quite some time now and it really shortens the pot cycle time.....PID controller or not!

banger

Hey Banger did you ever cave and PID your pot ?
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Buddy
    I bit the bullet and ordered an RCBS Promelt based on reviews and reputation. Buy once, cry once!