WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Most accurate load for imr 4064 in 223

Boolit Man

Most accurate load for imr 4064 in 223

So I have a bunch of 4064 sitting around. I wanted to try it in some of my ars. I have 55gr fmj which should work well with my 1:8 twist barrels.

What are some popular loads using this powder and bullet combo?

Boolit Master

You need a manual.

Boolit Man
    I have several manuals. But the range is wide so I want to find a starting point and build up from there.

I'm just trying to see what people have found to be most accurate coming from a 16" barreled ar.

Boolit Master
    52 gr Speer for me at a little under max charge with imr 4064 . Still playing with the length a little .

Boolit Master
    Sorry 26 bolt action

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Sorry 26 bolt action
    Bolt action is a bit different.

I made up a few batches in 0.5gr increments starting with 23. But if anyone has a pet load I'd like to start there.

Boolit Grand Master

Call up Sierra, they have expert techs on the line, know a LOT. I know
    a number of them, good folks.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have used it quite a but. I was using 23 grains with a hornady 55 grain fmjbt seated to 2.200. Its not very high velocity but it shot well. About moa or a little over out of my AR 15 with a 4x scope. I didn't use over 23 grains because anymore would just about fill up a military case. I don't use it anymore because I can get higher velocity loads with other powders. I also strongly prefer ball powder for the 223. I recommend w748, h335, or cfe 223. Tac is supposed to be great also.

Boolit Master
    Used reloader 15 but its very bulky can't get near max load in case,tac is much denser meters better and burns clean .

Boolit Buddy
    robg, FWIW, have a .223 Marlin X 7 heavy barrel in 1 in 9" twist and it shoots decently with any powder. But it absolutely loves 23.6 gr RL 15, with 60 gr Hornady V-Max. 1/4-3/8" 100 yd groups consistently with it....won a 200 yd competition with this load at range I'm a member and I was the only guy shooting what was basically a factory rifle (I'd made a suitable benchrest style stock for it) with by far, the lowest priced scope in the competition. Had the guys with custom 6BR rifles and etc., kinda stunned.....me too for that matter. LOL

Boolit Man
    My bad guys. The powder I was using was 4320. I think my load is somewhere around 25.3gn based on my testing this weekend.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pick one ....
    55 grain JSP (Hornady Soft Point)
    IMR 3031 25.0* gr. 3,165 FPS
    IMR 4895 26.0 gr. 3,120
    2400 14.0 gr. 2,685
    Reloader 12 27.5 gr. 3,255
    Reloader 7 20.5 gr. 3,080
    H4895 26.0 gr. 3,099
    H335 25.3 gr. 3,203
    #2230 26.0 gr. 3,216
    #2460 26.5 gr. 3,231
    748 26.3 gr. 3,150
    * compressed charge
    Regards
    John

If you are loading one at a time on a single stage and putting the powder in the cases thru a funnel than the type of powder is less of a problem as it is easier to catch "Powder Bridges."

I only use W748/BLC2 or other Ball Powders because of that fact. I load all my .223's on the 550B so I use ball powders exclusively I can't afford to have Powder Bridges that undercharge one case and then over charge the next.

Really for shooting an AR traipsing off into stick powder land is counterproductive and only invites problems. I feel there is absolutely nothing to be gained by using those products especially when the other stuff is readily available. I know lots of people do use stick powders very successfully, but I'm not one of them. The other stuff works perfectly and doesn't cause problems.

The only possible reason I would ever use stick powders in my .223's is if I couldn't get anything else, like in a SHTF situation. But then I'd be doing it in a tent or cave with my new Hand Press!

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Use 5 manuals or more. Toss out the high data and the low data. Then use what is left.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjones View Post
    I have several manuals. But the range is wide so I want to find a starting point and build up from there.

I'm just trying to see what people have found to be most accurate coming from a 16" barreled ar.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Good try 5 each of the start load, add .5 grain for the next 5 add the same till the groups start to open.

THAT is how you find what works in your rifle. No one else's will count. There really is no shortcut.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Good try 5 each of the start load, add .5 grain for the next 5 add the same till the groups start to open.

THAT is how you find what works in your rifle. No one else's will count. There really is no shortcut.
    I found my load, it's around 25.3. I posted a few posts back.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Your rifle is the only thing that can tell you what the most accurate combo for it is. there is no other rifle anywhere that is exactly the same. Only by shooting loads that you assemble for it can you find the most accurate combos with all projectiles, including the less than most for accuracy FMJs you have.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

I found my load, it's around 25.3. I posted a few posts back.
    I read and answer post then continue sorry if that seems to offend you. Have a nice day glad you found your load was it by trying????

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    If you are loading one at a time on a single stage and putting the powder in the cases thru a funnel than the type of powder is less of a problem as it is easier to catch "Powder Bridges."

I only use W748/BLC2 or other Ball Powders because of that fact. I load all my .223's on the 550B so I use ball powders exclusively I can't afford to have Powder Bridges that undercharge one case and then over charge the next.

Really for shooting an AR traipsing off into stick powder land is counterproductive and only invites problems. I feel there is absolutely nothing to be gained by using those products especially when the other stuff is readily available. I know lots of people do use stick powders very successfully, but I'm not one of them. The other stuff works perfectly and doesn't cause problems.

The only possible reason I would ever use stick powders in my .223's is if I couldn't get anything else, like in a SHTF situation. But then I'd be doing it in a tent or cave with my new Hand Press!

My .02

Randy
    I agree 100% with the above commentary and my agreement is based on experience with long and short cut stick powders.

Powder bridging is a bad problem using stick powders in small case mouths like the .223/5.56
    on any progressive press. Even the short cut stick powders can and likely will bridge in the drop funnel.

Save the 4064 for larger caliber rounds or maybe trade some of it for an appropriate ball powder for the .223/5.56.

I may be a newb on the board but have years of reloading experience and ditched the notion of stick powder in .223 a long time ago.

Boolit Mold
    I load 24 grains of 4064 at 2.20 shooting a Remington sps 20 inch bull barrel in .223 very accurate for me.