Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expander plug for .30-06, .308?

Boolit Buddy

Expander plug for .30-06, .308?

I'm beginning the process of loading cast in my .30-06 and .30-30 for the first time.

I'm well familiar with oversized expander plugs in my .38-55, .45-70, etc. sets, but these two are new to me.

I doubt there is a "cowboy die" set for the .30-06. Is there somewhere I can get an expander plug that will enable me to seat .311 boolits for instance without swaging them down?

Boolit Master

RCBS sells a 30 caliber cast bullet expander die with interchangeable spuds in .308, .309, .310 and .311. This will accomidate most cast bullet loads.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Woah! These look awesome, and I just got a Universal expanding die. Had no idea this site existed - thanks!

Boolit Master

I used the Lyman M Die in .308 for some time, but it provides a single neck expansion size. Whereas the RCBS system provides more flexibility. The below links represent what I now use to stand in for the Lyman M die for the last couple of years. I like the RCBS die much better. Midway, Grafs, Amazon, Opticsplanet, Brownells, etc... are all potential sources.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/742...pander-die-308
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/783...ander-plug-309
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784...ander-plug-310
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784...ander-plug-311
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned

I have an M-Die and a NOE expander, actually a bunch of NOE expanders and M-Dies, and I prefer the NOE expanders.

Boolit Buddy
    Really liking those NOE plugs. Simple and effective. I wish they had more sizes for others I want.

Boolit Master

Wardo - let them know what you need, they can be very accommodating.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    If I was to order a plug for bullets I've sized to .311, do I want one that's .315x.311? Or should I go a notch smaller at .315x.310? I should mention the chances are good I'd be using soft alloys.

I need this also. Today I checked my 32-20 cowboy set and the expander die seems like it will work well for this purpose possibly. Anyone used a 32/20 expander die like this?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardo1974 View Post
    If I was to order a plug for bullets I've sized to .311, do I want one that's .315x.311? Or should I go a notch smaller at .315x.310? I should mention the chances are good I'd be using soft alloys.
    I don't like bumping my own question, but oh well. Just looking for an answer here. The NOE site recommends a plug .001" LARGER than the bullet you're seating. Doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts?

I like the Lee universal expander die with NOE plugs. Works well, and cheap enough to just put a new expanding die and plug in every rifle set and leave them set up.

NOE is local so I just stop by the shop, and I order the Lee expander dies from Titan Reloading. Sometimes their shipping is so fast my stuff arrives before I ordered it!
    __

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I need this also. Today I checked my 32-20 cowboy set and the expander die seems like it will work well for this purpose possibly. Anyone used a 32/20 expander die like this?
    The .32-20 cowboy expander turned into a longer .308 Win. die body works well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardo1974 View Post
    I don't like bumping my own question, but oh well. Just looking for an answer here. The NOE site recommends a plug .001" LARGER than the bullet you're seating. Doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts?
    You need to account for some spring back on your brass, if it were me I would order at least two different sizes, .310, .311.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I have an M-Die and a NOE expander, actually a bunch of NOE expanders and M-Dies, and I prefer the NOE expanders.
    How do they work?
    Does it take place of one of the mandrels that comes with the die kit?? I have M dies. The NOE expanders look like top punches.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I bought a Lyman M die for 30-30 and also use it for 30-06-- it has enough range in the threads to do both
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    How do they work?
    Does it take place of one of the mandrels that comes with the die kit?? I have M dies. The NOE expanders look like top punches.

Shiloh
    You need a Lee Universal Expanding die to use the NOE plugs. All you have to do is insert one of the sizers in place of the tapered plugs that come with the die. You could size any case you wanted as long as you had the plugs. It looks like a really slick setup. I can't wait to get some, I plan on ordering plugs for several calibers.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd recommend the .312 x .308
    It's what I use for .311 boolits.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1511
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I've gone to the NOE expanders from the RCBS plug type. They are so much less sensitive to shaving lead because they are less dependent on the depth of the expander in the die. If you are too deep, or length varies, all it does is increase the length of the larger diameter fit. For .311 diameter sized casting it makes sense to me to use a .311 expander. (I noticed .315 X .311 are removed from the catalog.) That way you don't yield the brass when seating the bullet. I tried a .312 expander and the bullets slip down into the brass, not good.

I use them in Lee expanding dies, not just the Universal.

Ken

Ken

I called rcbs and told them that I was using cast bullets in the 308 and was sizing the cast bullets to .310/.311. They sent me a expander for a british 303 (.310) for free. I told them there's nothing wrong with the 308 expander and that I'd buy the bigger sized one. They asked me if I need anything else and have a nice day.

I use that .310 expander with the lee universal expander for the cast or coated bullets in the 308 & 30-06.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast