MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: BACO mould

Boolit Bub

BACO mould

On Sunday, 2/21, I ordered a BACO JIM443530E elliptical on the advice of a fellow shooter. It said "on backorder". OK, fine.
    On Friday, 2/26, I see a notice from USPS that my package from BACO was "undeliverable" due to the big snow storm we had the previous day! I fired up the 4x4 Superduty for the Post Office. Got my mould and today, 2/28, (after housework and other things) I cast up 50 rds of 16/1 alloy. What a beautiful mould. It cast them beautifully! I can't wait to wrap them up.

Boolit Grand Master

That 530 grn is going to rattle your eye teeth. Seated 1/8" into the case you will be close to 70-72 grns of powder under it. I have a baco mould in 40 cal 430 grn its a great mould. I got it used from swaping and selling here. Only thing Id change is I like the cup base for paper to fold into and this is a flat base mould.

Boolit Buddy

It's a wonderful thing how fast BACO fills the back - ordered items ain't it.

Craig
    Live Free or Die Death is not the worst of all evils

Boolit Master
    CountryGent, it should be closer to 82 or 83 grains, at least if using Swiss 1.5.

Buffalo Arms makes really nice molds.

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, it's 82 gr of Swiss 1.5, but if I use my rubber mouth guard, hold the rifle firmly, and close my eyes real tight, it ain't so bad....

Boolit Master
    What's so hard about 82 grs of Swiss? Really, I shoot it all the time and in one rifle that is a whole bunch lighter than a silhouette rifle.

MIEagle, that should work well for you.

I've got 450 new bullets on my casting bench, and a horrible trigger itch. Maybe this weekend, I can do something about that. Maybe. I've got less than 4 weeks now before Oak Ridge.

Boolit Master
    Shooting 82gr in a silhouette weight rifle isn't really a problem I find, although I admit to using a wearable BACO recoil pad . The BACO 446535 Money bullet comes in around 528gr and goes about 1275-1280 fps IIRC. I keep meaning to get a copy of Brent's bullet to try, but have yet to get up off my butt and order the mold.

Today I was shooting my .45-90 PP rifle with the heavier 446545 Money bullet. That one comes in at 540gr in 16:1. It shoots at about 1370 fps. That definitely hits harder than the .45-70, but it's in a heavier rifle. Probably just past the edge of where I'm competent unfortunately. I'm likely to go back to the slightly lighter 446535 at 1347 fps.

No matter what, you've got to be comfortable with the recoil, and for long enough to shoot a bunch of targets.

Chris.

Boolit Master

I ordered a 446535 that was on back order 3 weeks ago and got it in the mail in just 2 weeks, took me awhile to figure out how to cast with it but got it down and its casting right at 528 with my melt.
    now to figure out how to roll consistent PP so they are all the same height on the ogive, this PP is all new to me.
    Now if RCBS will fix and return the new black powder measure I just bought or send me a new one I can get to shooting. they are slow fixing faulty returns.

Boolit Grand Master

69daytona, you might consider making a patching board to roll patches on the bullets. I use one for 40 and 45. A simple to make item 1" X 6" x 8" hardwood board I use hard maple, looks good and holds up well. A simple saw cut down edge to be closest to you 3/4" in from edge. bevel edges of saw cut 45* x .090. A fence down left squared edge 1/8" above boards surface, can be plastic metal or wood. If wood bevel edge down away from inside of rail to allow more "room " to handle patches. a block fitted on right side edge centered over sawcut. This can be round or square. drill a 1/4" hole thu this block 3/8" above board centered with saw cut. A piece of 1/4" all thread with 2 nuts and washers and a 1/4" stop collar provide the stop for nose of bullet. In use lay patch along rail to square and alighn. I find the bottom inner corner of the angled patch is about right to start wrap. Set bullt on patch with nose against stop wrap patch sliding the patch over the boards surface to maintain square and true. This also helps to tension the patch. Makes patchng quick and easy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MIEagle View Post
    On Sunday, 2/21, I ordered a BACO JIM443530E elliptical on the advice of a fellow shooter. It said "on backorder". OK, fine.
    On Friday, 2/26, I see a notice from USPS that my package from BACO was "undeliverable" due to the big snow storm we had the previous day! I fired up the 4x4 Superduty for the Post Office. Got my mould and today, 2/28, (after housework and other things) I cast up 50 rds of 16/1 alloy. What a beautiful mould. It cast them beautifully! I can't wait to wrap them up.
    Do they have a website?
    NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Swede44mag View Post
    Do they have a website?
    www.buffaloarms.com
    Chill Wills