RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a tumble lube cast bullet be lubed with pan lube and/or Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer Bu

Boolit Buddy

Can a tumble lube cast bullet be lubed with pan lube and/or Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer Bu

I like the looks of this bullet but I don't whether it can be pan lubed or with the lubrisizer.
    If it can type of lube do you have to use? I've made up my own formula of Ben's Red, real close anyway.

This is the bullet mold.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/732...truncated-cone

Looks like this

Boolit Master
    I don't see why not. The multi grooves are there to catch and hold more of the liquid lube so they should fill with your lubrisizer just as well.

Send some through and post some photos. I think they should be fine.

Motor

I lube several TL boolits in my 450 with good results I have a Ranch Dog 300 gr 45 plain base with tumble lube grooves that is the most accurate mold in my BH ruger, a 358 wadcutter and a 9mm and they all get lubed and sized in the Lyman.
    there are others on this forum who do the same, but I can't speak to their results.....
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

IMO it works better to tumble lube traditional lube groove than it does to use traditional lube on TL boolits. But yes it works.

I have a few times heated some Ben's red and first tumble lubed with that, then a couple of light coats of Ben's Liquid Lube. Seemed to work well but takes some nose wiping to get the noses looking nice after.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes. I do it often. I have a Lee .44 cal. mold that I have used for 15 years and in that time I have tumbled in alox, tumbled in 45-45-10, sprayed with Catapillar Boom Lube, and pan lubed. Pan lubing with my Speed Green of Caranuba Red works quite well...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Depending on what size your boolits drop, there may not be enough groove to hold traditional lube.
    I am also one who tumble lubes traditional lube groove boolits.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Man
    I have only tried to lube one T/L boolit with the 450. It did not work out well for me. It was a 41 cal SWC. Accuracy was fair with no leading when tumble lubed with Ben's L/L. The same boolit lubed in the 450 with Lymans Alox formula had a good bit of leading.
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the helps guys. I'm going to get this mold ordered as soon as I can figure one other item I need. You guys are the greatest. Always reliable and always great info.

Boolit Master
    I've lubed lots of the 45-230-2R in my 4500 using Felix lube with excellent results in both 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Pistol boolits really don't take that much lube at or under 1000 fps adn Felix lube (WWFL) is most definately a premium lube. If you've never made any up, the recipe is here, do a search for it. Good stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks JohnH
    I'll give a look see and try it one day. I've probably got enough of Red's to last almost my life, unless I live till 150 or so

Moderator Emeritus

I would stay as far away from that tl design as possible. No one I know of liked it, no one I know of that had one currently uses one. It was my first mold and I was very happy to see it go. I would stick with the conventional lubed molds in a 9mm.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

If you have a lubrisizer and plan to use it, there is no reason to purchase the tl design. As mentioned previously, just buy the non tl design and be happy. If you want to tl at a later date, they work just fine.

I have a couple of tl designs and they have their place, but not with your situation imho?
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    Its for 45acp. Does that matter? What mold would you suggest? I want to stay around 225-230 Gns. Yes I do have a 4500 lubesizer, but I also want to be able to pan lube if it works out.

Also, out of curiosity what problems did you guys experience with the above mold? I really like that design as it looks like a straight shooter and very accurate. Sorry for so many questions, but does it work well with pan lubing?

I know you guys are all more experienced at casting/lubing. So may I ask, is there any kind of tool one can make to pick the hot/lubed bullets out of the pan without burning yourself? I'm asking this because I have thought of just dipping them (using cold bullets, or hot , which ever is better) and then immediately picking them back out. I have never been able to develop a pan lube where you can just let it cool for the next day and pop out the bullets as if there encased in lube made to do that.

I may have more questions yet, I'm trying to learn the finer arts of lubing. I've been casting for at least 30 years but not with the same quality as you guys. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim..47 View Post
    Its for 45acp. Does that matter? What mold would you suggest? I want to stay around 225-230 Gns. Yes I do have a 4500 lubesizer, but I also want to be able to pan lube if it works out.

Also, out of curiosity what problems did you guys experience with the above mold? I really like that design as it looks like a straight shooter and very accurate. Sorry for so many questions, but does it work well with pan lubing?

Not everyone hates that mold. I have it both 45 and 9mm. My experiences with it have been nothing short of stellar. Easy to cast, feed well, and they shoot great in my Colt 1911 and Ruger P90. No complaints whatsoever. I find it casts a bit on the heavy side with SOWW, but not a big problem. I just use the Lee liquid alox. They got shot as cast, until I thought I needed a sizer. Didn't do much for me, so I'm back to as cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your reply Dudel.

I would still like to hear other replies for or against and your reasons or problems with this bullet. Thanks much.

Moderator Emeritus

I found it to be undersized and it stripped at the "tl" portions causing significant leading down bbl and poor accuracy. I shoot a TL in the 40 and 32 long with good results but stay away from that bullet.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks you Sir. Thats all I need. I'll pick another mold.

Boolit Master

My experience is that the truncated cone style molds give me the least trouble with casting as well as feeding from the magazine. The Lee 230 gr truncated cone with a single lube groove would be what I would choose if you want to stick with Lee and desire that weight design
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

In Remembrance

I have that mold and as has been stated it works great. I use it in my Hipoint 45 and in a 1911 without any problems. I tumble lube and shoot as cast form 50/50. Great accuracy and NO leading.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Bub
    I cast that boolit and it shoots great. I shoot them in a 1911 and a ruger 45 colt.