Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a tumble lube cast bullet be lubed with pan lube and/or Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer Bu

Boolit Mold

Has anyone tried this. I made darr lube w 3 bars parrafin 13 oz vas 2 tbl stp

Not sure if I’m getting this right it’s my first posting anywhere. I am not fond of the tumble lube and tried the modified darr lube I made on 44 special and 44 mag. Mostly 44 special to ck leading. Cleanup was normal and accuracy was darn good at 30 ft. If they work at 50 and a hundred yards with normal cleaning I’ll use it instead of the tl. The lee liquid alox smells like gunk and leaves that residue on fingers even when dry. I think keeping the 2 Tbls of stp and slightly higher Vaseline ratio made the wax lube softer. Bullets push out from nose easy and hold lube pretty well. I’ll report back after I shoot a larger test run and I’ll try the 9 mm. The tumble lube works great just don’t like the mess or smell. I used 3 bars of parrafin to 13 oz Vaseline which is a bit low on parrafin ratio but the lube stays in the grooves and seems to work well for pan lubing. One thing I’ve noted in looking at pan lube videos is people who have problems are using stp gas treatment instead of stp oil treatment. If your pan lube is brittle and breaks make sure its oil treatment not gas. Thanks for any replies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim..47 View Post
    I like the looks of this bullet but I don't whether it can be pan lubed or with the lubrisizer.
    If it can type of lube do you have to use? I've made up my own formula of Ben's Red, real close anyway.

This is the bullet mold.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/732...truncated-cone

Looks like this

Boolit Master

If it were me, I'd go with Lee's other version of that same boolit...with a single conventional lube groove. At 'standard' .45 ACP or .45 LC velocities, either lube will be quite adequate. I cast the RCBS 225 gr. TC for many years, sizing in a Lyman 450 then shifted to T/L and a Lee Push-Thru sizer before going to PC. For my purposes, there was no discernable difference in accuracy or function between T/L and conventional but the T/L was 'smokier' shooting on an indoor range.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I've had very good results with Lee TL bullets...in the .38, .41, .44, & .45 Calibers. When I first tried them I mistakenly coated my bullets too heavy, which caused a build up in my seating stems. I do find it best to keep to load them up to 1,100 FPS. I would guess that anyone who has tried them may not have had as good of results as I have. I have found them to also be quite accurate: just as good, if not better, then when using conventional lubed bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would stay as far away from that tl design as possible. No one I know of liked it, no one I know of that had one currently uses one. It was my first mold and I was very happy to see it go. I would stick with the conventional lubed molds in a 9mm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12