Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Slugging a ar bore?

Slugging a ar bore?

I have slugged a number of bored with either with fishing sinkers or round balls. I have never tried to slug a ar barrel. Not really wanting to feel up to doing that method to the barrel (sounding kind lazy but a lot going on).

I have a small bar of cerrosafe. I have never used it before. I know it can used for slugging the bore.

Any hints or ideas are welcome

it is a 300blk.

Moderator Emeritus

My only "hint" is to make sure your barrel is pristine! 'Specially if jacketed bullets had been shot in it. I tried slugging with Cerrosafe a couple of times, and I was not pleased with the results. I had a paper wad over a wine-bottle cork turned to make a snug barrel fit plug, and poured the Cerrosafe in with no problem. A friend suggested his method, which is to cast a regular bullet from 100% stick-on wheel weights, which are really soft, with a layer or two of aluminum foil between the mould halves. This results in a bullet a few thousandths larger -- lo-tech beagling, if you will -- and then, take a wood dowel which you cut into maybe 3" long lengths. Inserting bullet nose first from muzzle, tap it in with first dowel, then adding more 3" dowel pieces til you're all the way through. The dowel pieces drop right out when rifle is inverted -- muzzle down -- and the bullet is beautifully swaged by the rifling -- ready for your micrometers. I'm not saying this is "THE" method; just what I have done, continue to do, and works. I noticed there are variations in bore diameter, albeit tiny, but using Cerrosafe only gives the bore diameter where your Cerrosafe casting is made. Pushing the slug through gives the smallest diameter.
    Just, again, my thoughts...
    geo

normally do the swag method. just trying to make life a little easier on my self. have a .312 mold that I could use. I prefer .001 to .002 over.

as for pristine. it is a brand new barrel, only shots thru it has been the place I got it from doing testing to make sure it functions

Boolit Master
    I've used wood dowels (full length and short sections) and I know a lot of others have. If you're lucky the slug moves easily enough and you get what you want. If not, when you find a really tight spot, the dowel splits and gets wedged in the bore. A plastic-coated or tape-wrapped steel cleaning rod is safer.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-from-a-barrel

Some food for thought here. Take a look before you start swinging your mallet.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Basically do what I have always done.