Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: best movie villains? ???

Boolit Master
    Our Fridge seems to give me Male Pattern Blindness,she hides small things behind big things.

Banned

I noticed George Kennedy passed yesterday. He was a decent villain in a few, most notably, one of my favorites, Lonely are the Brave with Kirk Douglas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I noticed George Kennedy passed yesterday. He was a decent villain in a few, most notably, one of my favorites, Lonely are the Brave with Kirk Douglas.
    I liked Kennedy's role in " Cool Hand Luke"

Boolit Master
    Although it is a comedy, Peter Sellars as Dr. Strangelove. There is something spooky, and familiar in Germany in those days, about the President's ex-Nazi adviser with a nervous tic in his right arm, sending it into the kind of salute Germans weren't meant to give any more, which had to be wrenched down by the other hand.

Not at all villainous, or even deliberately comical, is Slim Pickens's role as Major Kong, more cowboy than most cowboys and yet flying his B52 to do, through no fault of his own, the wrong thing with utmost efficiency and wipe out life on earth. I think Pickens, whose talents chiefly consisted of acting exactly like himself, should have been willing to grease the cockpit steps to get that role away from Sellars.

Pickens got the role when Sellars, intended to make it one of his multiple roles, sprained an ankle, and it was turned down by John Wayne and Dan Blocker who played Hoss Cartwright in "Bonanza". Apparently the idea that thermonuclear war is best avoided was too pinko for them.

You guys have pretty much covered everything but Gary Busey in Under Siege and Point Break was as despicable character imaginable . Also David Carridine in KILL BILL.

Boolit Master
    My votes go to gene Hackman in unforgiven and the quick and the dead, he can really play a mean bastard.
    Also on my list, curly bill (Stacey keach) in tombstone, Jeff bridges can portray a bad man pretty well and if it counts my 2nd grade and 3rd grade teacher, now she was a real life bastard.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Charles Laughton as Quasimodo,that name rings a Bell.Apparently he always got the hump when people mentioned that role.His Captain Bligh in mutiny on the Bounty was another good one.

Boolit Master
    Ben Kingsley in "Sexy Beast",plays a Chilling part as a gangster attempting to recruit a retired crook back into the underworld.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Charles Laughton as Quasimodo,that name rings a Bell.Apparently he always got the hump when people mentioned that role.His Captain Bligh in mutiny on the Bounty was another good one.
    A good job of acting, most certainly, but neither really fits as a villain. Quasimodo was a well-intentioned inadequate, and Hollywood has done something of a hatchet job on Bligh, who occupied every rank from ship's boy to vice-admiral in an age when birth didn't matter like it did in the army, it mattered a bit. Although naval attitude to mutiny in those day deserves some less wishy-washy word than "draconian", officers who needlessly provoked it weren't liked either. The records show he was an enlightened and humane captain, sometimes dogmatic in his judgments, but a post captain was meant to be.

There may be an untold story in his relationship with Fletcher Christian, whom he had known as a seaman, taught navigation and enabled to rise to master's mate. Both married and had children, though - and Christian knew the juvenile Blighs well. Maybe the mutiny was due to nothing more than a ship with only one commissioned officer, about to leave forever a region of compliant dusky maidens.

Laughton is also extremely good, and successfully ambivalent, as Henry VIII in "Young Bess". Henry, too, is no out-and-out villain. He started out determined to avoid having the terribly destructive dynastic Wars of the Roses back, which required an undisputed male heir. Henry wasn't good at producing sons, and Anne Boleyn was hopeless at producing undisputed. He was Good King Hal to ordinary people. But Laughton successfully conveys the brooding energy of a man with a growing desire to have his own way, who has learned to strike if opposed, and strike fast.

There is another marvelous villain Americans may not know, in the 1991 British TV movie "Lorna Doone". Aidan Gillen is the spine-chilling young outlaw Carver Doone, to whom the kidnapped Lorna has been destined since childhood to marry.

Peter Vaughan also does elderly villains rather well, including Sir Ensor Doone in the above. He is also good (although no villain) as a literate French miner in "The Razor's Edge", and fearsome as Obergruppenfuhrer Arthur Nebe in "Fatherland".

Boolit Master
    Another actor Americans are unlikely to know is Rikki Fulton. He was a Glasgow comedian, including standup, and the dialect doesn't travel. But in "Gorki Park" he is rather sinister, and indulges in a gun battle with the hero, as Major Pribuda of the KGB. It astonished everyone who knew him as a comic of the most inoffensive kind, and does great credit to the director, Michael Apted, who claimed to have recognized, at first sight, the cruelest eyes he had ever seen. It also illustrates one of the truisms of the business, that a lot more comedians can turn straight actor, than straight actors can turn comedian.

Brian Dennehy plays a supporting role in that movie, one of the American cops with which his career is strewn. But in the "To Catch a Killer" miniseries, like Sir Richard Attenborough, he risked the grimmest kind of typecasting by playing John Wayne Gacey, the type of man who gives serial killers a bad name.

Similar courage, though far from playing a villain, was shown by Timothy Spall, in "Pierrepoint", distributed in America as "The Last Hangman". After a career spent mostly in supporting comic roles as a benevolent little chipmunk of a man, he played a man who hanged well over 400 people, including about 200 Nazi war criminals. Albert Pierrepoint was, in his way, a conscientious man, who made it a science to minimize the time taken between opening of the cell door and the final drop, and was indignant with subordinates who made the process any more distressing than the law required. He took the view that anyone hanged had paid for what he did. But plenty of actors besides Wayne would be afraid to have that in their filmography.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The Wicked Witch of the West
    Ditto, still the baddest of the bad!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The Wicked Witch of the West
    Ditto, still the baddest of the bad!
    Good point...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    My votes go to gene Hackman in unforgiven and the quick and the dead, he can really play a mean bastard.
    Also on my list, curly bill (Stacey keach) in tombstone, Jeff bridges can portray a bad man pretty well and if it counts my 2nd grade and 3rd grade teacher, now she was a real life bastard.
    Curly Bill was played by Powers Booth and quite well at that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Curly Bill was played by Powers Booth and quite well at that
    You are correct sir, my bad
    Life is so much better with dogs!

John Malkovich as the Presidential Assisan in IN THE LINE OF FIRE

John Malkovich as the "prisoner mastermind" in CON AIR
    regards,

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    BRUCE DERN maggot little SOB…you know who he shot!

Saw an interview of Bruce Dern more than a few years ago. The man is a genius, well educated and a brilliant actor. He's not the same kind of scary as Heath Ledger but I learned to appreciate his skills in spite of my hatred for his character.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes in Misery!
    Good point, I hated her character so much I could never appreciate her in any other role.
    What's fascinating to me is the actors that can successfully play a villain in one move and a hero in another.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I thought the guy in No Country For Old Men ( or whatever) was very cool and ruthless.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

The Duke's great friend and 'B' movie foe ---- Yakima Canutt!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yakima_Canutt_stuntman.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	162565

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Our Fridge seems to give me Male Pattern Blindness,she hides small things behind big things.
    The pantry does a pretty good job of it also.

In my garage, if I have my tools in drawers or on shelves, I tend to have a problem finding whatever I'm looking for. If I have everything on pegs on the walls (and I remember to put the tools *back*), I have a bit better luck finding things. I think it's a 2D vs 3D type of thing. With them on pegs, it's just a 2D system, so I can see everything with one glance and then just sequentially search until I find it. With shelves, I have to see what might be behind something else or hidden underneath something and that takes more times to search and more effort to move everything around. Of course, not being able to find the tool that we need is the reason that we sometimes end up with multiple of that particular tool. That's probably why I have 5 or so hammers of basically the same style laying around various places in my garage (even though I would be lucky to find more of 2 of them right now).

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast