WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: best movie villains? ???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Don't know the actor's name, but the British Calvary Major in "The Patriot". Such an easy disregard for things of humanity. He was a good villain.
    A fine portrayal of villainy, but the thinly disguised Major Tarleton was quite unfairly treated in a movie which is historically inaccurate even by Mel Gibson standards. He was a ruthless man who hated rebels, and there is no doubt about property damage and rapacious foraging, but the Continental military surgeon at Waxhaws stated that this, the only massacre under his command, occurred while he was trapped and semi-conscious under his horse, which had been shot immediately before or after the American commander's request to surrender. They copied the church incident from Oradour-sur-Glane in the Second World War.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    They do, or not. I am reminded of the line in Beetlejuice where the girl is asked what her costume is and she says she is dressed as a psychopath. "We look like everyone else". And they do. It is interesting if you look into it. It is not that psychopaths/sociopaths are evil, it's that they have no dividing line between right and wrong. They don't feel anything one way or the other and simply can't understand what good and evil are.
    They don't have a conscience about it, and very often don't suffer from nerves. But in the UK at least, not knowing the difference between right and wrong is the test for getting off with a verdict of "Not guilty by reason of insanity." It usually fails with psychopaths because the prosecution knows how to exploit the argument exemplified by Captain Cremony of the US Army, who wrote a surprisingly humane book about the Apache in the 1850s. He said, more or less, that if you think the Apache doesn't know right from wrong, just try wronging him and see what happens.

Perhaps the majority of criminal lunatics are neurotics. But psychopaths fall into two groups. The adequate psychopath knows how to exploit society's laws and career opportunities to get wealth, status and the fun of tormenting people. It is the inadequate psychopath who has to break the law, sometimes in dreadful fashion, to get what he craves.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone seen "Apocolypto" produced by Mel Gibson.Villainy on a grand scale.Almost as vicious as the Holocaust.Primitive civilisation in all of its gory details.

Boolit Master
    Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Has anyone seen "Apocolypto" produced by Mel Gibson.Villainy on a grand scale.Almost as vicious as the Holocaust.Primitive civilisation in all of its gory details.
    Ah, that is another one with the Gibson touch for accuracy, like ''JFK'' and ''Braveheart'' (aka ''Mad Macs'' and sometimes referred to as the most historically inaccurate film of modern times). The Maya did carry out a certain amount of human sacrifice, I believe people they knew being preferred. But it was on nothing like the scale shown in the movie. Apparently they even digitally altered real-life murals to give human sacrifice a part in Maya life it didn't in fact have. It would have been a lot more accurate if it had referred to the far more ferocious Aztecs, but it didn't.

You can't libel the dead, and certainly not the several centuries dead. But there are academics who have built their career on studying the technology, religion and quite amazing calendar of the Maya, and people like that are affected by what universities and publishers consider to be the public perception of the Maya.

Boolit Master

I just watched " The man Who Shot Liberty Valance" So right now I am thinking Liberty Valance, ( Lee Marvin )
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Ah, that is another one with the Gibson touch for accuracy, like ''JFK'' and ''Braveheart'' (aka ''Mad Macs'' and sometimes referred to as the most historically inaccurate film of modern times). The Maya did carry out a certain amount of human sacrifice, I believe people they knew being preferred. But it was on nothing like the scale shown in the movie. Apparently they even digitally altered real-life murals to give human sacrifice a part in Maya life it didn't in fact have. It would have been a lot more accurate if it had referred to the far more ferocious Aztecs, but it didn't.

You can't libel the dead, and certainly not the several centuries dead. But there are academics who have built their career on studying the technology, religion and quite amazing calendar of the Maya, and people like that are affected by what universities and publishers consider to be the public perception of the Maya.
    Yes,I have never subscribed to the Mel Gibson historically correct group but the Movie as a work of fiction was to me quite riveting.I have no doubt that there is an element of truth and the subject matter (Villainy) was evident.

Boolit Master

Walking Dead's Nagan...still gives me the creeps as he smashed skulls with his "Lucille" barb-wired bat...

I'd have to nominate Pennywise the clown in Stephen King's "It". It was terrible the way he tormented those kids.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Alan rickman in robin hood and die hard.and the psycho in dirty harry.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    I thought the guy in No Country For Old Men ( or whatever) was very cool and ruthless.
    That’s my vote too.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Of all the movie villains we can list, there were far worse that really existed in human history.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I have been mad at him ever since.The gall...to shoot John Wayne! He always did play a dirtbag.
    He doesn't play a dirt bag in All the Pretty Horses, plays an almost devine character in the end when John Grady Cole is in awful personal need of redemption.

Bruce Dern is a better actor than he's received recognition for. He says he ruined his acting career by shooting John Wayne in the back, maybe so. Good actor nonetheless.

Banned

Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter is a hard one to top. The scene where he's hiding in the bushes while Lillian Gish sits on the front porch with a shotgun guarding the kids is so surreal and spooky, I can't hear "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" in church without thinking of it.

Banned

I would have to mention The Governor on The Walking Dead. One of the best villain roles I've ever seen.

Banned
    Another vote here for Ben Kingsley in 'Sexy Beast' (I wish they had got a better title!). The very best scene IMO was the very last when the devil kicks his coffin to bits and there's Ben, smoking a cigarette and he just gives the devil a look of utter indifference. Brilliant acting.

Alan Rickman, as a deliberately and incredibly cleverly, overacted villain I don't think he can be bettered. He also played an excellent angel in 'Dogma', an utterly brilliant and hugely funny film, possibly my favourite, although I think it might not go down too well with too many members of this board.

Boolit Master
    I'll toss in a vote for Vincent Price, the sci-fi genius who used to scare the dirt out of me with every one of his movies.

Boolit Master

Glad this is still going strong; thanks y’all

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    I'll toss in a vote for Vincent Price, the sci-fi genius who used to scare the dirt out of me with every one of his movies.
    Vincent Price was a neat guy. Didn't always play villains either. He played that may character in The Last Man on Earth, which was the closest renditing to the Richard Mattheson book, I am Legend of the several movies that have been made from it.

He could do comic stuff pretty well too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42F8nYktZ0

Boolit Buddy

Ben Kingsley in Ghandi
    Gerard Butler in Law Abiding Citizen
    Edward Norton Primal Fear
    John Lithgow in Raising Cane

Femme fatal Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction
    Betty Davis in Whatever Happened to Sweet Baby Jane
    Last edited by WheelgunConvert; 01-17-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast