RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Winchester 94AE Toggle Link

Boolit Bub

Winchester 94AE Toggle Link

This winter I went on a hunt in Texas and decided to bring my relatively newly acquired, open sighted 94AE 30-30 along instead of my usual Savage 340...
    Sitting in the stand in the dark, I loaded up the tube and worked the lever to put a round in the chamber, and the next round in the tube went straight under the carrier, requiring me to open up the tube from the front, in the dark, to get free up the action. I tried the action again with the same results, effectively turning my rifle into a single shot for the duration of the hunt.
    Upon inspection, I found the little stop/tip on the toggle link that keeps the cartridges in the tube had broken off... research has found that the link is available for around $40... no big deal... however, I did notice that the link itself does not close flush in the action when the lever is closed. It sits about 1/16" out. I looked at the pins and screws, and nothing seems to be bent or misaligned, but I'm concerned that there is something I'm missing, and simply replacing the link will result in another broken part. I normally do all of my own minor gunsmithing, so replacing the link is not a problem, but this is my first 94, so I'm not as familiar with it as I'd like.
    If any of the seasoned Smiths out there have run into this or a similar issue, I'd love to hear your input... or from anyone more familiar with the workings of the 94...
    I will post some pictures when I get the chance.

Cheers
    Dan

Boolit Master
    Sounds normal to me its not a flush fit .Mohave gambler has a good break down of 94s .may be possible to build up the broken end of link with welding then file to correct length to function properly .