Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: MiHec 9mm 147gr GC HP

Boolit Buddy

Got mine last week, its nice to have another great mold THANK YOU
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Casting report:

This is my first Brass mold, so I was not sure what to expect. I started with two flat nose pins and two deep HP pins. I preheated the mold on top of the pot. Just touching the melt.
    Ran the pot as close to 700F as I could.

The first pour produced 4 useable bullets. A little wrinkly due to the mold not being up to temp. The deep HPs stuck to the pins, so I had to tap the handle to get them to fall out. I was mainly just testing it out so I cast about 100 pcs and then stopped.

The following day I pre-heated and cast several times during the day just to get the brass a little tarnished. I also took the pins apart and chucked them into a drill. I then lightly polished each pin with brass wool. (I didn't have any fine steel wool.) This was the trick. I put the medium pins into the mold and I proceeded to cast about 700 bullets. Once I got a rhythm going, it was almost as fast as any other mold, but casting nice looking HPs! And they really look smooth.

Shooting report: (357)
    I only shot some solids and the deep HP.
    Alloy was 50/50/2 (COWW/SOWW/Sn)
    Powder coated.
    Speed was 1,150FPS with the solids and 1,200FPS with the deep HP.

Accuracy was only as good as I am! (I need some work with this gun.) What I was impressed with was the performance on gallon milk jugs.

I lined up milk jugs filled with water on a table and put an 8 foot long 6X6 board on each side of the jugs.
    The HP blew the first gallon of water wide open and left the jug inside out. I found fragments of the bullet in the second jug and the third jug was penetrated on two sides. The bullet was not found. One of the 6X6 boards was knocked off the table.

OK, Then I lined up 11 jugs and fired the solid bullet into them. About half way down the line, the bullet skidded out of the jugs, hit the board and then bounced back into the line of jugs. I found the bullet in jug #11. The bullet looked like I could reload it. Lands and grooves were clear, but otherwise the bullet looked great.

All in all, I am VERY happy with this mold. I have a lot to learn about HPs, but this mold is GREAT. I had a single cavity Lyman mold before, but it made casting HPs drudgery. Casting with the medium pins worked so well in this mold, I plan to make them my normal plinking bullet for 38 and 357s.

If you are thinking about getting a brass mold, a HP mold, I can highly recommend one from MiHec.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Mold
    If anyone wants to sell their mold I'd definitely be interested

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ilikec2 View Post
    If anyone wants to sell their mold I'd definitely be interested

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    I still have some. Send me PM what you want (include your e-mail, too)
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    I still have some. Send me PM what you want (include your e-mail, too)
    PM sent.

Banned

boy this mold casts nice!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Casting report:

This is my first Brass mold, so I was not sure what to expect. I started with two flat nose pins and two deep HP pins. I preheated the mold on top of the pot. Just touching the melt.
    Ran the pot as close to 700F as I could.

The first pour produced 4 useable bullets. A little wrinkly due to the mold not being up to temp. The deep HPs stuck to the pins, so I had to tap the handle to get them to fall out. I was mainly just testing it out so I cast about 100 pcs and then stopped.

The following day I pre-heated and cast several times during the day just to get the brass a little tarnished. I also took the pins apart and chucked them into a drill. I then lightly polished each pin with brass wool. (I didn't have any fine steel wool.) This was the trick. I put the medium pins into the mold and I proceeded to cast about 700 bullets. Once I got a rhythm going, it was almost as fast as any other mold, but casting nice looking HPs! And they really look smooth.

Shooting report: (357)
    I only shot some solids and the deep HP.
    Alloy was 50/50/2 (COWW/SOWW/Sn)
    Powder coated.
    Speed was 1,150FPS with the solids and 1,200FPS with the deep HP.

Accuracy was only as good as I am! (I need some work with this gun.) What I was impressed with was the performance on gallon milk jugs.

I lined up milk jugs filled with water on a table and put an 8 foot long 6X6 board on each side of the jugs.
    The HP blew the first gallon of water wide open and left the jug inside out. I found fragments of the bullet in the second jug and the third jug was penetrated on two sides. The bullet was not found. One of the 6X6 boards was knocked off the table.

OK, Then I lined up 11 jugs and fired the solid bullet into them. About half way down the line, the bullet skidded out of the jugs, hit the board and then bounced back into the line of jugs. I found the bullet in jug #11. The bullet looked like I could reload it. Lands and grooves were clear, but otherwise the bullet looked great.

All in all, I am VERY happy with this mold. I have a lot to learn about HPs, but this mold is GREAT. I had a single cavity Lyman mold before, but it made casting HPs drudgery. Casting with the medium pins worked so well in this mold, I plan to make them my normal plinking bullet for 38 and 357s.

If you are thinking about getting a brass mold, a HP mold, I can highly recommend one from MiHec.

BNE
    Loading some for 357 mag Did you end up crimping on the ogive? That was the only way I could get the bullet deep enough for a 357 mag revolver to clear the forcing cone. I am at 9 grains of blue dot with that crimp and accuracy seems fine, no flatening of primers but man...seems a little more of a thump than my critical defence ammo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1478800934263-1415592676.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	180448 BTW, these are doing 813fps out of a 2 inch snubby,and 983 fps with 10 grains blue dot. Hardly a barn burner. Loaded with blue dot for dramatic flash intentionally.
    Last edited by xacex; 11-10-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Any extras for sale? I was having surgery for Agent Orange caused Endoma in my chest cavity, and was sort-of preoccupied.

4-cavity or 2-cavity PB

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    Any extras for sale? I was having surgery for Agent Orange caused Endoma in my chest cavity, and was sort-of preoccupied.

4-cavity or 2-cavity PB
    Yes. 4cav PB's are available.
    Send me PM with your e-mail included
    www.mp-molds.com

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Loading some for 357 mag Did you end up crimping on the ogive? That was the only way I could get the bullet deep enough for a 357 mag revolver to clear the forcing cone. I am at 9 grains of blue dot with that crimp and accuracy seems fine, no flatening of primers but man...seems a little more of a thump than my critical defence ammo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1478800934263-1415592676.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	180448 BTW, these are doing 813fps out of a 2 inch snubby,and 983 fps with 10 grains blue dot. Hardly a barn burner. Loaded with blue dot for dramatic flash intentionally.
    Just saw this question: - I have settled on an Over All Length of 1.580" I had loaded some at 1.620". They fit fine, but my book says that 1.590" should be the longest OAL.

FYI,

I finally tried my solids in a 9mm and they functioned great....
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Okay. I am at 1.60" COAL to function properly in my 357. I have never loaded a bullet on anything but a flat, or crimp groove so it seems off to load this way.

Banned

Mihec, have you had any delays in the US to get packages through customs? I heard there was congestion at JFK.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Mihec, have you had any delays in the US to get packages through customs? I heard there was congestion at JFK.
    I must check that
    www.mp-molds.com

Banned

I ordered a knife from Finland before the first of the year and still stuck in Customs at JFK

Boolit Master
    Wow that 146gr sure looked nice.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Man
    I have a two cavity with all pins new in the box for sale. $120 plus shipping. Just send a personal e-mail.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789