Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "What…ONE…thing would U change on UR Press?"

A 6th station on my LnL progressive!!!!

It may not be the press but I need a bigger loading room.

But Lee can improve on the load masters priming system and indexing system.

Need to get a primer catcher for the rockchucker.

But most of my issues come from space issues and a poor bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    Presses to accomidate us left handed peopel

Boolit Master

Dillon 650 - add a military primer pocket swage option like the 1050 has. Change the "catch basin" for live primers that don't get fed into a case for whatever reason into something that reliably catches the primers. . .instead of allowing 25-50% of them to bounce out onto the floor.

Hornady LNL single stage - shoulda made the exterior of the bushings bigger so the inside could be made to take 1.25" dies as well as the standard 7/8. Mind you, the presses served both Dad and I perfectly well for almost 20 years, but the .577/.455 Martini necessitated a Rock Chucker purchase. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old Coax press, and Forster has made the changes to the priming platform (moving jaws like resizing platform) and the press handle (to fit micrometer seating dies under it) that are the only things that bother me at all using it.
    My RCBS 2000 also took quite a while to think of something to change and only thing I could come up with is a sixth station so I could setup a powder checking die. Currently I use station 1: sizer, 2: neck expander/priming, 3: powder drop, 4: bullet seating, 5: bullet crimping. Having a powder check would be nice but I won't give up seating and crimping in separate steps to get it. Unfortunately looks like RCBS may be dropping the plastic strip priming as the new 5 & 7 station presses they just introduced don't have it, it is just so much faster and safer than the primer tubes it isn't funny at all.

my presses Star, Phelps, CPM, Pacific, Texan, Hornady, Lee...
    All have the same problem once in a while -
    Loose nut behind the handle.

Hornady LNL AP

As others have indicated, Small primer seating issues resulting in high primers.

My issue was caused by the little divot forming in the press over time. This caused the primer seating stem to no longer get the full intended travel as some of it was going down into that divot it created in the press.

I resolved it by JB Welding a piece of steel feeler gauge over the divot and giving it something solid to press against.

Hornady really needs to put something here to resolve this one. It's a simple fix but not something we should have to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LNLPrimerMod.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	162907

Boolit Master
    stupid finished round ejector wire on dillon 650's.
    better station alignment on same.
    better case pusher system for same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    Hornady LNL AP

As others have indicated, Small primer seating issues resulting in high primers.

My issue was caused by the little divot forming in the press over time. This caused the primer seating stem to no longer get the full intended travel as some of it was going down into that divot it created in the press.

I resolved it by JB Welding a piece of steel feeler gauge over the divot and giving it something solid to press against.

Hornady really needs to put something here to resolve this one. It's a simple fix but not something we should have to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LNLPrimerMod.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	162907
    I had the same issue. I just added another nut to my one to make it a bit taller. My other I put the jb weld on the end of the pin. Let that wear down and do it again. This is why I didnt trade my projector. Its the same press just has fast change dies.

I was going for something I didn't have to maintain. So far so good. Couple thousand through it and only those little small divots in the plate. I think it's strong enough to hold up for the long haul.

Boolit Master
    My LnL projector has seen hundreds of thousands of rounds. Only issue was what you have going on and it looks like you have it fixed. Keep it lubed.

Boolit Master
    Seems like a lot of folks are complaining about spent primer collection, me included. There's a guy on FaceBook that calls his page LoaderTools that makes 3-D printed primer collectors for many presses, and he is constantly working on products for additional presses. They're inexpensive, and they seem to work. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm about ready to. The primer collection system for the older Rockchucker requires that you turn the ram around backwards, so you won't be able to prime on the press - if that's an issue for you.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

The only mod I would make to my Lee classic cast turret is the ability to lock the turret in one position. I need to use a bullet puller periodically and the the turret tries to index when I am tightening or loosening the collet.

Boolit Master
    I am keeping this thread alive. Well that and I have a new gripe with my RCBS Rock chucker. I made a new bench as most of you will know. Well I wanted something rock solid so 2x8s it was and its what I had sitting around from other jobs. The press hits the 2x. I had to gut out around the cam lever on the bottom and where the ram attaches. No biggy but its the only press I had to do this for.

Now for the lee LM. Would it hurt you guys to put the mounting holes out half an inch farther. Any way you face it can you get anything in there to zip it down. Having used 6 inch stainless screws I had to use a 12" ext. on my impact.

When it comes to mounting the SDB it is straight forward. Same with the hornady.

Boolit Master
    i know this is about presses. but my loading bench top is made from a heavy solid core door with a piece of formica glued on. the front edge hangs over the frame by 3 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The only mod I would make to my Lee classic cast turret is the ability to lock the turret in one position. I need to use a bullet puller periodically and the the turret tries to index when I am tightening or loosening the collet.
    If you have a drill press, or better yet, a milling machine, you can drill a hole in the side of the turret housing into the turret, then ream it to a standard size and slip a pin into the hole to lock it. Just drop your other turrets into the press after drilling the first one and drill them all before tearing down your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    If you have a drill press, or better yet, a milling machine, you can drill a hole in the side of the turret housing into the turret, then ream it to a standard size and slip a pin into the hole to lock it. Just drop your other turrets into the press after drilling the first one and drill them all before tearing down your setup.
    The lack of proper equipment is my problem. I don't have anything but a handheld drill. I really don't feel competent enough to try that freehand. I did get a cure though. I have since purchased a cheap single stage press that is being dedicated to the bullet puller. Except for losing the space on the bench, there isn't really a downside.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The lack of proper equipment is my problem. I don't have anything but a handheld drill. I really don't feel competent enough to try that freehand. I did get a cure though. I have since purchased a cheap single stage press that is being dedicated to the bullet puller. Except for losing the space on the bench, there isn't really a downside.
    Nice. For bullet pulling, I use a Lee Hand Press with a Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller. Works like a champ and I don't give up bench space for this occasional use.

I didn't think of that

Boolit Mold
    --I wish swapping from large primers to small primers on my Dillon 650 was faster.
    --When sorting my brass I inevitably miss pulling a .40 S&W out of the .45ACP pile and the .40 S&W brass reeks havoc on the case feed. I with the case feed was a bit friendlier at clearing these jambs.
    --A couple levers to disable Case feed, primer feed and shell plate indexing would be really handy during setup.
    --I wish the 650 quick change heads were a bit bigger, they can get awfully cramped with everything mounted on them.
    --A 6th station would also be nice.

But all these are pretty minor because I really love my 650 press!