Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "What…ONE…thing would U change on UR Press?"

"What…ONE…thing would U change on UR Press?"

What aggravates/irritates you most about your press? That one thing that you have had to modify or use something from another manufacturer?

ME…On my LNL AP, I would like to see the inside diameter of the pistol rotor a smidge larger to help prevent bridging of the flake powders when it is in the upstroke and filling that rotor..

ALSO…I'm not trying to start arguments over what 'color' press it is…just want to accumulate honest opinions and tabulate where they stack up according to manufacturer.
    Last edited by OS OK; 02-24-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

An easier to adjust powder measure, I am bad about changing charge weights for one reason or another. I hate the routine that I have to go through to feel comfortable with the charge.

Doesn't aggravate me; but I'd move the primer stack on the 550B towards the back of the machine (like it is on the Hornady) to give more space between me and a potential mass primer detonation. The primer shield will have to do (and does) for now.

Boolit Master

would like a light on SDB like you can get for the 550
    the one that mounts on the side isn't all that effective
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

My reloading press has given me very little trouble for 12 years, but for my old style Lee turret I'd like a better way to capture spent primers. My other presses are jes fine (old C-H, Pacific "C" press). I have reloaded every cartridge I shoot on my Lee turret (9mm through 30-06) and even sized bullets...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I have 3 rockchuckers, I cannot think of anything I would change. I have a dillon 550, still learning on it.

Boolit Master
    I would like to move the stations on my Dillon SDB. I can not stand taking my hand off the press handle. Putting the case and the bullet on with the left hand would be better for me.

On my RCBS single I would like a deeper dish on the spent primer cup.

On my Hornady progressives a stronger primer system for seating the primers. I had to mod both of mine by making the bolt on the cup a bit longer. JB weld.

All in all the Dillon is the one that bothers me the most. I cant change it. So I just run it.

My Lee single C is just that a simple cheap 28.99 press that works wonders. If I could I would make it about half an inch longer so to fit some taller cases in. But all in all I am happy with most all of them.

being I have multiple presses - the one thing that p.O's me is when they fling spent primers on the floor.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

That's a hard one, I have changed so many things. I guess it would be to make all my other presses feed primers as reliable as the 650's do.

Rock Chucker PRIMERS on the floor
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Boolit Master
    The stroke on my Ammomaster
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Like several others, primer collection.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Grand Master

I modified the spent primer cup on my 650s buy drilling a 3/4" hole thru the bottom of them. I then turned up a plastic plug that fitted inside then with a hole thru and chamfered top. The stem sticks thru and a piece of 3/4" tygon tubing runs down into a 9 lb powder can. They no longer get full and overflow now. Most presses can benifit from a riser base to set them a little higher also, my 650s sit on 4" tall bases I made. I also did away with the akro bins for catching loaded rounds. Made a sheet metal chute up and now a 50 cal ammo can with a towel catches loaded ammo. My summit press would benifit from the primer mod also.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Pacific O7. I wouldn't change it at all.
    INFIDEL

Thank you fellas…this is exactly what I wanted to see…keep it coming. If I go back and tabulate all this under Mfgrs. names/comments, you cant be more objective than that …right?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I bought a gooseneck 20 LED sewing machine light from Amazon. It has a super strong magnet on the base, but I have it stuck to a piece of heavy scrap steel and it sits beside the SDB base. One of these days I'll get a piece if 1/8" thick steel and put it under the rear mounting bolt to hold the light. I use the same light on my Lyman Mag 20 pot since my exhaust hood blocks out the overhead lights.

Boolit Master
    Now that I think about it the Dillon SDB spent primer catch kinda sucks too. I will be making a larger bin to hang in its spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Now that I think about it the Dillon SDB spent primer catch kinda sucks too. I will be making a larger bin to hang in its spot.
    You mean like this one: http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1346-SDB

Boolit Master
    That looks like it will work. But it will be a cold day in you know where before I spend 30+shipping on that thing. Looks like I need to be heating up some HDPE just as soon as the rain lets up. Looks easy enough to cut from a small block. Drill a few holes and flare the edge. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of different presses. The two that I would not change anything are the Dillon 550b and the Lyman AA. I like the bullet and the case loaded on opposite sides as I can insert both at the same time saving one step. My pro 1000 Lees could stand a Dillon type primer system. The Rockchucker has a primer system I don't like. The Lyman Spar T and the CH tilt back which bugs me. My Star drops powder whether there is a case there or not and the add a bullet station is at the back which is hard to see. My Herters has only one good thing, it's stout. I could care less about spent primers as I have a concrete floor and a long handle dust pan and broom and a shop vac for those that hide in the corners.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast